Mothering Forum banner

How's your pp figure?

4K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  megviolet 
#1 ·
I'm 9 weeks and still in maternity pants. No luck with shedding a single pound through nursing. I'm feeling better though after my c/s and have started doing crunches and am up for the occasional long walk, but I'm far from ready for an exercise routine or subscription at the local fitness studio. Where are you ladies at?

#2 ·
I took a few long walks (2.5 miles, 1.5 miles) and a couple short ones, but I don't think I lost any weight. My stomach is still 3 months pregnant, and saggy enough to hang over my waistbands! I am SOOO much bigger on top though that most of my regular shirts (and even some of my maternity shirts) are too tight. I'll blame the sticky weight on that!

#3 ·
Meh.
I've lost a lot of weight but I've got the sag happening here too. I need to do ALOT of crunches and general toning of my other body parts as well. I've gone to the gym a few times, done some yoga a few times and I try to get out for walks regularly. It's really hard to find the time and energy- the motivation is there though.
I'm not quite fitting into my old jeans yet. AND my boobs are soooooo humongous it's disturbing. None of my old shirts fit me
. I have been putting off shopping because it depresses me. I have no idea what I've been wearing lately.
It's still early though, mamas! It took 9 months to put it all on, don't forget!

#4 ·
I've lost all but 5 pounds of the pregnancy weight, but I'd like to lose about 10 beyond that. I still have the super flabby belly though. This pregnancy seems to have done in my abdominal muscles completely. And my boobs are enormous. I have gone for a few walks and even jogged a little bit, but finding the time has been tough. Once it cools off, I think it will be easier because I can put baby in the BOB and get some more miles. She is quite content strolling along with me, but it is too freakin hot right now. I am trying to be patient with myself and accept that it will probably be a bit longer before I can look at my body and not get depressed.

#6 ·
Sounds like we're all in the same boat.
I'm a few pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight (at 12 weeks post-Cesarean), and it's wonderful to finally not feel so bloated and nasty, but my stomach is mostly flab and my pre-pregnancy jeans still don't fit like they used to. I need to get serious about the fitness routine if I want to tone up. I just feel so freaking exhausted. I know.. I could be exercising right now.. but you all are more fun. Okay, maybe I will go jog...

#7 ·
I was pre preggie weight by 2wks postpartum...I didn't gain much and was already about 20-30 lbs from an ideal weight...I am flabbier then before but my prepreg jeans fit (thank god) I am going to start the gym routine in the next few weeks sometime...10wks pp right now.
I am really starting to feel that beating myself up feeling that I didn't feel last time...the whole i want to look good again NOW lol.

#8 ·
I'm making progress, just slower than I would like. I still have a few pounds to get to pre-pregnancy weight, although I am not expecting to get completely there with my boobs this huge and heavy (they still get engorged from time to time, in fact one was so full and painful, it woke me up in the middle of the night last night while DS was still sleeping and I had to hand-express because we were traveling and I didn't have my pump
).

I have been in my pre-pregnancy jeans for a few weeks now, they were super tight at first but starting to be a little easier to get them on and off (I judge by how many buttons on the fly I have to undo
). For tops, I can only fit in my loosest non-maternity ones because I went from a B to a D (maybe even DD) cup. I'm mostly wearing nursing tanks with some kind of sweatshirt or sweater over.

My stomach is finally (as in this week) looking better although my ab muscles still feel quite weak compared to before, gradually working on it and improving (using the Tupler technique). I've been doing a bit of bicycling (on a trainer while DS naps) and some weight/resistance exercises here and there. Lots of short/medium walks wearing DS, I guess that counts for something too.

I have gotten frustrated with it many times but if I compare to how I was a few weeks ago I have definitely made progress. Like expat said, 9 months doesn't get undone overnight (I keep reminding myself).

#9 ·
Ha. Ha. Sounds like everyone is doing really well here...I still have 20 lbs to get to where I want to be, and I lost 20 already. Same exact pattern as all other pregnancies for me...I have started running, yoga, and kikfit, plus a modified eating plan with nursing factored in. Starting to chip away at things...slow process! So long as I am back in action by next summer, I will be happy. Winter is a beautiful thing. : )

#10 ·
I have a no weigh policy! So I am no sure how much I have lost/ need to loose. We don't have a scale...but I weighed myself at my last midwifery apt. I had about 20 lbs to loose to get back to my prepregnancy weight of 135 lbs. That was 5 weeks ago and I am getting curious.

Physically, I feel heavier and more uncomfortable than I would like. I don't like the way I look in photographs (fat) unless I get one of those lovely perfect angle shots!! Otherwise I am surprised by how big I look, for me.

Clothing, so frustrating. I am depressed every time I look at my maternity pants. I don't want to wear them!! the belly bands are too big and the waist is falling off my hips so they don't fit. But neither do the prepregnancy pants...unless I wear the two pairs of pants I had for the in between matpants-regular pants from last pregnancy. I went shopping but the outdoors shops tend to have S, M, L sizing....and the L is too tight...and I can never find clothes I like in the malls, and I also don't want to spend a fortune on clothes that won't (I hope) fit in 6 months.
Having 2 kids in 2 years means that I've been a yoyo in the clothing department for the last 3 years and it seems none of my clothes fits right ever! And then when it does I grow out of it 3 months later. rant over.

Aside from the weight, there are the stretch marks and the, uhm, floppyness.
As for the stretch marks...they are old and from my first pregnancy so they look a whole lot better than my first postpartum time. They are not bright red and don't feel as deep, and I've had 2.5 years to get used to them. So that's good. I still don't like the way they feel though. And I worry about my them showing if my clothing shifts...so not super comfortable for me. But I try to be kind to myself about them.
I am worried about the floppiness. I was softer last time too, but, the whole muffin top thing is getting to me this time. I just don't know what to wear! Clothing cuts in to the softness and it just feels all wrong.
I'm sure I'll figure it out in time, when I get back into shape. But really, whatever size I am, I just want to be comfortable!

Also, the interesting thing I've noticed, is that when I see other mamas with their babies, most of them have that soft round belly still. And, I have this adoration for it. It tells me that they have just performed an amazing thing and are still in the fourth trimester and they seem to radiate a life giving glow. So, I try to have that adoration for myself and bask in the afterglow of child birth. 9 months on, 9 months off.

#12 ·
Well, because I was so sick/vomitting for my entire pregnancy I didn't gain any weight and am now 25 pounds below my pre-preg weight........although I'd say still about 10 pounds above where I'd like to be (ideally I'd lose 20 pounds but I'm starting with a smaller goal). All my pre-preg jeans are way too big and I actually had to break out some smaller jeans I haven't fit in years.......I guess that can be the only positive things about being so sick. I actually feel better about my body now then I have in awhile. I'd been fit and in shape my whole life and then gained a lot of weight after my last DD (I think a lot of it was due to PPD). My stomach is still very flabby though and likely will be a bit flabby forever. I definitely have some toning to do. It's just very hard to find the time and I seem to be in a cycle of bad eating habits. For the first couple months I could eat whatever I wanted and still not gain weight but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. DD1 goes to the dayhome one day a week and I've signed A and I up for a baby and mom exercise class on that day.....it's a start. Trying to find time (and energy) to walk on the treadmill (hope to be running again one day) but that isn't happening very often.

#13 ·
I've got weight to lose still. I lost 30lbs or so in the first two weeks, which was nice, but now I've just been slowly losing. I still have 8-10lbs I'd like to lose, bringing my total loss to 50 pounds(I gained 55lbs). I won't get as thin as I was before because I had very little body fat and was too thin. I guess you could say I'm average weight now, but I don't like it. I like to be toned! I've been running since 3 weeks PP(you should see my butt jiggle!), and did some Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, but it's pretty easy & boring. My stomach muscles came back together a few weeks ago, so at least I have them back! I still have my gym membership, but that's a waste now. If I had the extra cash, I'd love to do P90X!!

OTOH, for the first time in my life, instead of focusing on "the perfect body", I'm enjoying time w/ my baby. She needs her mama's attention more than I need to fit into my skinny jeans.

#14 ·
I haven't weighed myself but I definitely am not back to my pre-preg weight. I do fit in my jeans, though. I didn't get any new stretchmarks but the old ones look kind of icky on my still loose stomach skin. My abs still feel tight under there at least.
I only gained 30 lbs. this time compared to 40 and 50 with my boys so that's nice. It took me a long time to feel normal after my second (tandem nursing didn't help!) I feel totally normal now except for the slight amount of flab/skin on my belly. When I'm standing or laying down I look skinny. I had my first PP period last week which, while sucking majorly, really makes me feel not-pregnant/postpartum.

#15 ·
Got 30 lbs to lose here. I've been taking walks with the kids (going to the park that's furthest away, etc) but battling the sugar monster. I look in the mirror and wonder where the old me has gone. In my mind's eye I'm a 21 year old dancer.
Hmmm. It's been 6 yrs since I've danced.

I accept my Mommy Body. Am looking forward to getting myself back a little more as the kids get older. So nice to read the love others have for their bodies.

#16 ·
I'm still 19 pounds over pre-pregnancy weight, which is about 28 pounds heavier than ideal for me. I know the weight will come off eventually. It just takes time.

I'm not THAT flabby, just very "thick." Breasts are huge. I'm worried about how I will look once the weight is gone. Will it be the same as before? Or rearranged so all the fat is on my belly?

I'm also worried about my weak abs. Will they ever be strong again? The word diastasis scares me. Did mine separate? How can I tell? Does it matter if they did separate? One side hurts sometimes. Was it because I was nursing in an awkward position? Did I permanently damage the muscle? This freaks me out for some reason.

I also HATE HATE HATE the stretch marks.

I don't love my body right now. Thanks for letting me ramble.

#17 ·
:puke That's about how I am feeling when I look in the mirror!

Okay, so that's a bit dramatic....but I'm feeling gross. I actually lost all the weight from the baby right away. I think I may have gained some back though. I am beginning to think this breastfeeding weight loss is a myth! With all the sitting and feeding I feel like it's slowing things down. (not to mention the thought that I need extra calories...yeaaahh...)

I'll be honest I was too fluffy before getting pregnant and gained weight with each miscarriage so now I really want to get this weight off. I was considering Weight watchers for breastfeeding moms...anyone tried that?

What is really strange is that I have always had major body issues (thanks Mom) but I love my body when I am pregnant, it's the only time I feel like my body is right. So I don't blame pregnancy, but I am still feeling the postpartum body disappointment.

I should be burning some calories by dancing around the house for hours every night..the only way lil Sparrow will be calm!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtsyHeartsy View Post
I actually lost all the weight from the baby right away. I think I may have gained some back though. I am beginning to think this breastfeeding weight loss is a myth! With all the sitting and feeding I feel like it's slowing things down. (not to mention the thought that I need extra calories...yeaaahh...)

I'll be honest I was too fluffy before getting pregnant and gained weight with each miscarriage so now I really want to get this weight off. I was considering Weight watchers for breastfeeding moms...anyone tried that?

What is really strange is that I have always had major body issues (thanks Mom) but I love my body when I am pregnant, it's the only time I feel like my body is right. So I don't blame pregnancy, but I am still feeling the postpartum body disappointment.
I can totally relate with all these things you said! Same here!

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
Is your dh all
?
Yeah. After I had the baby, he said "try and keep your weight on; it looks good on you"
. Ah, yes, I'm so glad I married you.

It's the first time in my life I've had real cleavage
and what with walking around with my breasts exposed all the time . . .

My belly is still a little poochy, but I'm diggin the extra weight on top and bottom.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
AND my boobs are soooooo humongous it's disturbing. None of my old shirts fit me
. I have been putting off shopping because it depresses me. I have no idea what I've been wearing lately.
Me too! I went from A, or between A/B to I think a D?!! I bounce now when I shake the conditioner bottle upside down!! I start work in 1 week. What in the world will I wear?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nervousnelle View Post
I know.. I could be exercising right now.. but you all are more fun. Okay, maybe I will go jog...
Hehehe ... exactly. Does it count as an arm exercise if I'm holding ds over my shoulder sleeping while I type with the other hand?

Quote:

Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
My stomach is finally (as in this week) looking better although my ab muscles still feel quite weak compared to before, gradually working on it and improving (using the Tupler technique).
My belly is still super soft and flabby. I need to find out about the pp Tupler technique. I have the maternity book and I thought it was really good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtsyHeartsy View Post
I was considering Weight watchers for breastfeeding moms...anyone tried that?
Not that specifically, but I'm a huge believer in WW. I will be following it loosely soon. Wish I could afford to join again. I'm a lifetime member, but have to pay if above my goal weight. I was 6 lbs away again when I got pregnant.

I'm not sure what I weigh now, we don't own a scale. At my MW appt last week I'd lost about 30 lbs? And still had about 20 to go. Yeah, I gained that much. Still wearing maternity clothes and nursing tanks. Dressing for work will be challenging, but I really don't want to spend money on interim clothes. I'd go to goodwill but it's so time intensive! I had planned to start serious exercise at 3 weeks pp. The cs messed that up
I have been taking ds on hour long walks when I can.

#23 ·
mamakaikai said it all for me!
I actually have avoided going out just so i don't have to wear pants LOL

I just bought (used) a few things that fit me, since realistically i know it's going to be awhile since i'm my ideal size and i need somethign to wear in the meantime.

I lost 30lbs really fast this time, and have about 15 more to lose. Plus, im a full D cup now and started as an A/B back before i had lizzy in 2007.

I feel more normal now than i did after my first baby, because i'm already used to having a soft middle, which i don't mind in clothes but my stretchmarks are extreme so it looks a bit odd nude.... i don't really care though.

I just want one magic pair of jeans that doesn't give me a fat roll along the waistband, and also doesn't fall down!

ETA- i have no time or energy to exercise. I'm so physically exhausted it's ridiculous, and not a minute to myself- i mean, this is the first time i've even logged on to MDC in over a month! I should be folding laundry or something...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.