need help--sleep issue! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So here's our general schedule: Wake anywhere from 630am-830 am. Takes a short (30-60min) nap about an hour or two after he woke up. Take another usually longer afternoon nap (1-3hrs) and the kid is back in bed by between 5 and 7pm. And at night he usually sleeps 12-14 hours, with usually 3-4 feedings.

The problem, which is new and awful, is the he SCREAMS when i put him down for nap and bedtime now. This is new. I have always put him to bed awake, and he always did a great job of falling asleep on his own, rather quietly. Now he screams....pacifier doesn't help, guiding his thumb into his mouth doesn't help. I stay with him and pat his tummy/back, doesn't help. Finally, I end up doing the breastfeed to sleep thing, which is habit I REALLY do not want to start. But he gets so worked up (even if I take him out of bed and hold him, he still cries) that only the breast calms him and helps him sleep.

Advice??? I feel like I am slowly starting a horrible habit, but also feel like there's no other choice. HELP!!

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Hmm, yes, well, I nurse mine to sleep but I never thought of it as a bad habit. Just really useful and stress-relieving since DS really fights sleep all the time in exactly the manner that you describe. I used to nurse my dd to sleep, too. It IS a pain when you're not home and someone else tries putting your child to bed when you're not around, not to mention upsetting to the child. But you know, they do grow out of it. But that's just my two cents.
I knew a woman years ago from another forum who simply made a point of using a sleep/eat/play routine so that her kids never associated nursing with falling asleep - they were nursed AFTER naps and prior to napping was play/quiet time. I could totally go for that kind of routine with an older baby or a toddler, but not with a newborn. And expecially when it wouldn't work with a baby fighting sleep. Plus it just seems "off" to me trying to force baby into a routine already. Again, just my two cents.
Maybe someone else has some other suggestions.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM

We nurse to sleep, did it with DS (21 months- still do, actually) and with baby, DD. It can be a drag, but it's also a lifesaver. With DS, now, I tell him he's going to be done in just a few minutes, then he's fine when I say it's over. That's a long way off for your LO, but if you can't find anything else that works, it's not the end of the world. I read No Cry SLeep Solution, and did the "Pantley Pull Off" which is basically once baby nods off release your nipple from baby's mouth, and gently press their lower jaw up, and if they fight let them suckle again then repeat in a minute or so. I've done that and it works. Both kids may fall asleep at the breast, but then will allow me to put them back down.

One other thing that worked for us, that didn't involve the boob, was holding baby up to my shoulder, and bouncing on a birth/exercise ball. The motion helped them fall asleep.

DD has been fighting sleep more lately, wanting to stay awake despite being exhausted, sometimes the boob is the only thing that will get her to conk out- almost immediately. I'm there with you, too. Hang in there....
#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM

I used to feel bad about the nursing to sleep habit with both my babies, but recently I read the Dr. Sears Baby Book and he said something that really makes sense: "How would YOU like to fall asleep?" The answer was the "warm" way....warm breast, warm arms, warm bed (even suggested putting a towel fresh from the dryer down and then removing it before laying baby down so the sheets weren't cold!). It all really made sense! And my older daughter is 4 now and falls asleep without nursing of course so they do grow out of it.
Hang in there, I have 2 reluctant to sleep little ones....I know it's hard.
#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everybody :-)

hope i didnt sound critical of those of you who chose to nurse to sleep....it is just something that i had personally wanted to avoid, especially since i just hired a sitter!!

at this point i try putting him down without it, but often times resort to it. whatever works, right?!

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page