Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   July 2010 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/538-july-2010/)
-   -   flying solo tips? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/538-july-2010/1271231-flying-solo-tips.html)

evjolin 10-14-2010 02:40 PM

so little one and i are taking our first trip next week. no dh...any tips for flying? luckily it's only a 2.5 hr flight, so shouldn't be too bad. i'm not bringing a stroller or carseat (have them at my destination) so hoping to manage with my ergo and/or sleepywrap. any advice/tips?? i am kind of worried about breastfeeding--babe is soooooo long and loves to kick while nursing, which won't be easy to wrangle in the narrow seats.

violet_ 10-17-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evjolin View Post
so little one and i are taking our first trip next week. no dh...any tips for flying? luckily it's only a 2.5 hr flight, so shouldn't be too bad. i'm not bringing a stroller or carseat (have them at my destination) so hoping to manage with my ergo and/or sleepywrap. any advice/tips?? i am kind of worried about breastfeeding--babe is soooooo long and loves to kick while nursing, which won't be easy to wrangle in the narrow seats.
Same here! Would love some advice -- though we will have seat/stroller to deal with!

Love Wins 10-18-2010 01:02 PM

Your best advcocates will be the flight attendants! They can move you to a free seat, so make sure you are friendly with them. Also, smile at all those around you, introduce the babe, etc. It's hard to be mad at a crying baby, when 30 mins earlier you learned their name and babe flashed them a smile. When going thru security, make sure you have slip-on shoes & baby is wearing none. Board the plane at the last minute, tell them at the gate that you want to get on last, and again, be friendly. I flew a couple of weeks ago and just flew home a couple of days ago, and I waited til the last minute to board, and she was SO freaking tired. Then as we took off, I nursed her. She slept the whole time(almost 4 hours!) and then I nursed her as we landed too. No problems, never cried. If I had her at home for 6 hours, she would surely cry/whimper at least 2 times! Will you have checked luggage? Also, if you can, put your son's diaper bag into a rolling carry-on, then have a smaller, more accessible bag that you can pull out & keep near you(in case your carry-on gets checked at the last min or whatever). I just kept a small stash of a diaper, my phone, snack for me, & something to read. You really can't do much on the plane w/ a baby sleeping on you, next to a stranger. Make sure you get to the bathroom before you board and change your ds's nappy too. Idk if this helps, but this is what I did! Good luck!

evjolin 10-18-2010 06:20 PM

thanks! all good advice! my trip is wednesday, will let you guys know how it goes!

Noah's mommy 10-19-2010 02:07 PM

Great advice already given! Don't stress too much-I bet everything will be fine. I flew 10.5 hours international with mine @ two months (and then 10.5 hours back, plus a domestic flight that was 3 hours) solo and Stella was great. The few times she did cry I just got up and walked with her and she settled right down. My flight was overnight so I was really afraid she'd be screaming and wake up the other passengers, but she was fine. I did have to tell myself to take deep breaths and stay calm so I didn't make the situation worse with my stress. Good luck!!

I won't even begin thinking about our international/domestic itineraries for December