flying solo tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so little one and i are taking our first trip next week. no dh...any tips for flying? luckily it's only a 2.5 hr flight, so shouldn't be too bad. i'm not bringing a stroller or carseat (have them at my destination) so hoping to manage with my ergo and/or sleepywrap. any advice/tips?? i am kind of worried about breastfeeding--babe is soooooo long and loves to kick while nursing, which won't be easy to wrangle in the narrow seats.

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#2 of 5 Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evjolin View Post
so little one and i are taking our first trip next week. no dh...any tips for flying? luckily it's only a 2.5 hr flight, so shouldn't be too bad. i'm not bringing a stroller or carseat (have them at my destination) so hoping to manage with my ergo and/or sleepywrap. any advice/tips?? i am kind of worried about breastfeeding--babe is soooooo long and loves to kick while nursing, which won't be easy to wrangle in the narrow seats.
Same here! Would love some advice -- though we will have seat/stroller to deal with!

#3 of 5 Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Your best advcocates will be the flight attendants! They can move you to a free seat, so make sure you are friendly with them. Also, smile at all those around you, introduce the babe, etc. It's hard to be mad at a crying baby, when 30 mins earlier you learned their name and babe flashed them a smile. When going thru security, make sure you have slip-on shoes & baby is wearing none. Board the plane at the last minute, tell them at the gate that you want to get on last, and again, be friendly. I flew a couple of weeks ago and just flew home a couple of days ago, and I waited til the last minute to board, and she was SO freaking tired. Then as we took off, I nursed her. She slept the whole time(almost 4 hours!) and then I nursed her as we landed too. No problems, never cried. If I had her at home for 6 hours, she would surely cry/whimper at least 2 times! Will you have checked luggage? Also, if you can, put your son's diaper bag into a rolling carry-on, then have a smaller, more accessible bag that you can pull out & keep near you(in case your carry-on gets checked at the last min or whatever). I just kept a small stash of a diaper, my phone, snack for me, & something to read. You really can't do much on the plane w/ a baby sleeping on you, next to a stranger. Make sure you get to the bathroom before you board and change your ds's nappy too. Idk if this helps, but this is what I did! Good luck!

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#4 of 5 Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! all good advice! my trip is wednesday, will let you guys know how it goes!

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#5 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Great advice already given! Don't stress too much-I bet everything will be fine. I flew 10.5 hours international with mine @ two months (and then 10.5 hours back, plus a domestic flight that was 3 hours) solo and Stella was great. The few times she did cry I just got up and walked with her and she settled right down. My flight was overnight so I was really afraid she'd be screaming and wake up the other passengers, but she was fine. I did have to tell myself to take deep breaths and stay calm so I didn't make the situation worse with my stress. Good luck!!

I won't even begin thinking about our international/domestic itineraries for December

Mama to Noah and Sophie and Stella 7/4/ 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page