Pregnancy after Loss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 262 Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I would start a thread for those of us who have had a loss.

We had our first and hopefully last loss last month. My OB is pretty hands off but gave me the option of having a Beta drawn yesterday and tomorrow. I jumped on it. I was 11dpo yesterday and My HCG was 30. On the first day of bleeding last month my HCG was 5. I don't know what it was at 11dpo but I started to M/C on 17dpo. Any one know how low the $ general hpt go. I had a stronger positive test today but the line is still faint. Trying really hard to be calm.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#2 of 262 Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 PM

BTDT. We had two miscarriages between our dd and ds. They suck. One might think that having ds would make me less nervous this time. Not so much. Well, maybe *slightly* less nervous, but the first coherent thought I had was, "Terrified."

Our miscarriages were different, one at 6 weeks with low progesterone, the next at 10 weeks with good progesterone, with symptoms, and after having seen the heartbeat. So I can't take great comfort in symptoms or numbers, though such things help.

Things that help me: Repeating, "Today, right now, I am pregnant." And praying/hoping/asking for peace with whatever happens.

I forget the numbers for the Dollar General tests, but that's pretty much all I use. Really, they say not to rely on the strength of the color of the line. A line's a line and all that. With my 2nd & 3rd tests, (I've taken 4, thankyouverymuch ) the lines were lighter because I took them closer together. My pee wasn't as concentrated.

Hang in there. Today, right now, we're pregnant.

Kristen, happy wife to Jeremy; Mama to dd (2/04) and ds (8/07) and two miscarried babies (9/05 & 5/06). And beginning to believe a baby may really be coming this summer.
#3 of 262 Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM

I'm here and nervous, too. I had a m/c in September at 6.5 weeks. We hadn't yet been in for a u/s, so it hardly even seems like it was real. It did at the time, but I should have known something was wrong. I already have more symptoms than I did the whole time with that one.

I don't know about $ general tests, but I agree that line color doesn't mean much. Are you going back for a second beta? To see steadily rising numbers could give you some peace of mind.

I'm trying to stay relaxed, but it is sometimes hard. Hooray for sore bbs and nausea!

ETA: Sorry, momongeon. I just noticed that you are having a second beta.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#4 of 262 Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 AM

My loss was in July 2007. I have my rainbow baby, but the pg innocence is gone. So I tell myself to enjoy every minute, no matter how short or long. I agree that the symptoms were key. When I felt awful I kept thinking bring it on

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#5 of 262 Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Here goes the anxiety again --- today my breasts seem a little less full and sore than in the past few days. Luckily, I still feel a bit queasy and crampy. I started losing symptoms fairly early on last time, but I remained in denial. Now I'm trying to think back and remember exactly how this time might be different than the last. Why, oh why does my ultrasound have to be two full weeks away?!

But you're all right. For now, we're pregnant.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#6 of 262 Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 PM

I've been worrying too. This issue's A Quiet Place is very fitting for me right now. I keep reminding myself to not worry and just be happy because all I did was worry about my pregnancy with ds, and everything was absolutely fine. I just want to feel joy during my pregnancy for once, even if this one doesn't sick. Because as Kristeremy said
Quote:
"Today, right now, I am pregnant."
What concerns me the most right now is that I have had brown spotting for a week. Sometimes it gets so light I think it has stopped, but then the next day I'll have some more. I don't know what this means, I know it could be a few things- possibly bad, possibly normal. I've taken 2 pregnancy tests, both positive with faint lines. But I don't want to fret over it. I'm not trying to check my hcg levels because that will only make me worry more. Whatever happens will happen.

wife to DH 6/25/05, mama to DS 5/26/08 & DS2 9/1/10
#7 of 262 Old 11-25-2009, 06:00 PM

rissirae. The spotting has to be very stressful. I hope it stops soon.

Momongeon -- did you get the results back on your 2nd beta yet?

#8 of 262 Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
rissirae. The spotting has to be very stressful. I hope it stops soon.

Momongeon -- did you get the results back on your 2nd beta yet?
Betas went from 32 to 104 in 48hrs!!!! could it be twins?

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#9 of 262 Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Ok, so we're out of town for Thanksgiving, and dh found a pregnancy test in his duffle bag (brand new). I got it from my sister a few months ago (the second one from a 2 pack that she bought) and I couldn't figure out where I put it until tonight! I think maybe it's a sign that I should try it tomarrow morning and see what I get . It's digital, so that should be fun too. Just hoping my hcg levels are still high. I had way more spotting today , so I'm a little more nervous than usual.

#10 of 262 Old 11-26-2009, 10:29 AM

Result: "Not Pregnant" and I started some actual bleeding this morning . So, I'm having a miscarriage.

I'm looking on the bright side, that it happened early this time so it shouldn't be so bad physically or emotionally. And we'll just try again next much. I'm very thankful for my ds this Thanksgiving and I'm wishing you all the best of luck with your pregnancies!

#11 of 262 Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissierae View Post
Result: "Not Pregnant" and I started some actual bleeding this morning . So, I'm having a miscarriage.

I'm looking on the bright side, that it happened early this time so it shouldn't be so bad physically or emotionally. And we'll just try again next much. I'm very thankful for my ds this Thanksgiving and I'm wishing you all the best of luck with your pregnancies!
I am so sorry. good luck this month. I'll be thinking of you

#12 of 262 Old 11-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:

So sorry to hear, rissie. Thinking of you and your family this Thanksgiving and wishing you luck next month

#13 of 262 Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 PM

Rissirae

I'm so sorry. I hope you're back in a DDC before you know it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a good day with the ones you love.

#14 of 262 Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momongeon View Post
Betas went from 32 to 104 in 48hrs!!!! could it be twins?
Congratulations! How ever many you've got in there, it's sounding good!

#15 of 262 Old 11-26-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:

I have read that women are more fertile immediately following a m/c so I hope you find your way back to the DDCs very shortly.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#16 of 262 Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 AM

I'm so sorry mama Sending you lots of sticky baby dust for ttc'ing!!!

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#17 of 262 Old 11-27-2009, 01:20 PM

I guess I belong here.

I had an early loss (just before 5 weeks) back in June of 2008. Since then, several times I've had obvious pregnancy symptoms, but the few times I tested they were negative, and most months I just refused to test. This time, I finally tested at 18 DPO, and it's positive! I'm now at 20 DPO, and this is the longest I've ever been pregnant!

I'm 36, too, so it's not like I have all the time in the world, but anyway, today, right now, I am pregnant.

So, here I am.

Symptoms so far are extreme exhaustion and huge, very sore boobs. My first symptom was the same as last pregnancy: I couldn't finish my normal pilates workout. As in, I left like 15-20 minutes early! I sleep a lot and rest a lot more. DH is waiting on me hand and foot. Wishing luck to everyone here.

#18 of 262 Old 11-27-2009, 03:21 PM

hello. i had an early miscarriage in September of this year. I have not tested, but I am 4 days late and have all the signs. (except morning sickness).

praying for another little one

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
#19 of 262 Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 PM

I had a miscarriage in September. I was devastated. So here I am pregnant again. I want that other babe back but I also want this one to stay. I feel like I have lost my prior innocence when it comes to being pregnant. The first week after knowing I felt sarcastic and depressed now I am starting to have a hope and really feel this one. I 'm softening to the idea of it... that is scary. My first pregnancy was so magical and peaceful along with her birth and early months. I want some of that back for this babe.... we all deserve that.

farming with 2 wild things and their hot daddy uc.jpg
#20 of 262 Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 PM

My daughter was born still this past August at 22 weeks and then I had a chemical pg which ended on 11/3, I was about 4 1/2 weeks along. I just got a positive test on Friday night, then again Sat. morning, and much darker just now on Sunday afternoon. I am 11 dpo and I am going to try to get my HCG levels checked tomorrow and a couple days from then if my doctor will approve it. I am a nervous wreck and could use support so I would like to join you all.

Shauna, wife to Jeff, mama to Audrey 4/6/08 and Ruby stillborn on 8/5/09, early m/c on 11/3/09, cautiously expecting 8/11/10
#21 of 262 Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM

A'smama -- sorry this thread went a little dormant right after you posted. How did your betas go?

I'm thoroughly exhausted. That's a good thing, right? As much as I'll regret it later, I wish I could get some real m/s. My u/s is 5 days away and I have two days two go before this pg is longer than the last one. By this time last time, I was already quite suspicioius that my symptoms had seemed to disappear. So far, so good this time.

#22 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 01:53 AM

My betas look good at this point, thanks for asking. Monday at 12 DPO I was at 46 and Wed. at 14 DPO I was at 190, so they quadrupled in 48 hours. Now I just have to wait until 12/18 for my first appt. and ultrasound!

Shauna, wife to Jeff, mama to Audrey 4/6/08 and Ruby stillborn on 8/5/09, early m/c on 11/3/09, cautiously expecting 8/11/10
#23 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
LZP

a'smama- those numbers sound great! quadrupling should make you more comfortable.

this is such a strange feeling, I think I am still in limbo or something mentally. My body feels "different" but not markedly "pregnant." just, well, sore. my bbs are sore, and this morning I woke up and all the muscles in my core are sore- obliques, abs, and even my butt muscles, and the muscles on the sides of my hips. weird. I think i was working out in my sleep?

I had betas and progesterone checked on Monday. they were pretty good, 179 and 38 respectively at 13DPO. but, then i couldnt get back in to get more BW, so I decided to call the RE and see if they could just get me in for one more round or testing. Waiting to hear back fromthem this morning.

anyone else have updates on their numbers? Momongeon, I saw your numbers are going up nicely!

For those of us who had a slightly later loss (mine was at 9 wks) do you know what will be "the thing" to make you feel more at ease if you're not already?

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#24 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a'smama View Post
My betas look good at this point, thanks for asking. Monday at 12 DPO I was at 46 and Wed. at 14 DPO I was at 190, so they quadrupled in 48 hours. Now I just have to wait until 12/18 for my first appt. and ultrasound!
Hooray! Great news!!!

#25 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
For those of us who had a slightly later loss (mine was at 9 wks) do you know what will be "the thing" to make you feel more at ease if you're not already?
Nope. And I've even had a healthy pregnancy since my losses. Our first was at 6 weeks. I'm six weeks today, so it does feel like a bit of a milestone. Our second was a few days past 10 weeks, though, and I was having symptoms, my numbers were good, and we'd seen the heartbeat. I reckon I'll definitely feel better when we get past week 11 or so, but I'm not sure I was ever really able to believe we were actually having a baby until he was here.

Some days are better than others. Tuesday and Wednesday were really rough this week. Usually, I can talk myself through the fears, but I just couldn't manage it then.

It does help to remind myself that I have no reason to think anything bad will happen this time.

But mostly it just kind of sucks that the fear never goes away completely. For me, at least.

I'm trying really hard to take joy in the fact that I really am pregnant right now and that that is a pretty cool thing.

Kristen, happy wife to Jeremy; Mama to dd (2/04) and ds (8/07) and two miscarried babies (9/05 & 5/06). And beginning to believe a baby may really be coming this summer.
#26 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
LZP

we had also seen the heartbeat, just the week before we found out. 7 days before that, everything was fine. I try not to go back to that place, but it's hard. I hadn't lost any symptoms, and was in fact feeling worse as time passed (more M/S type stuff, etc) and was still really tired.

it's a cruel joke, really...

Maybe if i get past 9, then i'll feel good, but I just have a bad feeling that I want to shake! sometimes, i am hopeful, can daydream about having a big round belly, and playing with our LO.

Like you said, Kristeremy (and BTW, I love your celeb-couple name!!) just be joyful about today...

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#27 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
LZP

SO, I got a call back from the RE we were seeing before (before, during, and after last pg). they can bring me in for BW on Monday, and possibly an U/S another time that week. they want to do BW including progesterone levels before the U/S, which I'm really pleased about.

while the drive is a bit annoying on a Monday during rush hour, I'd take that over not knowing at this point. the one set of beta hCG isnt helpful at all.

Now off to figure out what they should be at bare minimum by then.

#28 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Exhaustion hit extremely hard today and the thought of coffee makes me rather ill.

Yay! I'm really pregnant! At least until Tuesday, when I have my u/s. Because my one loss was before we'd had an ultrasound, I will feel better after that, though I know that things can turn bad any time.

Good luck on Monday, LZP

#29 of 262 Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am hesitant to come this early, but here I am anyway. I have had one mc and at least 2 other "chemical pregnancies" this year. Prior to this past cycle I hadn't had a luteal phase longer than 9 days. I called the doctor at 13 dpo and because of my history, he said started me on crinone gel once a day.

My husband gets annoyed with me worrying all the time, but he doesn't understand what it is like to panic every time you feel a little wet down there because you might be bleeding. Or hesitate to look at the toilet paper when you wipe but feel that you have to and be scared that it is going to have red or pink or brown on it. Every little cramp or twinge or backache I wonder if that is the start of a miscarriage.

I played the $tree test game and tested at least once a day for 6 days analyzing any color change. As far as I know I am still pregnant, but the only real symptoms I am getting are occasional breast tingling, twinges and a slight let-down feeling and slight hunger and cravings, backaches and stronger sense of smell..
#30 of 262 Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Welcome, SteelerMom! I know what you mean about joining a DDC early. I told myself I wouldn't join this time until after my 1st u/s, and yet I've been here since the beginning. I'm glad your doc listened to you and gave you the crinone. My LPs are short, too, so I'm on progesterone.

AFM- I feel worried today. Yesterday I felt so nauseated for the first time (I'm 6w3d) and it made me feel much better about this pg. In fact, I was so nauseated last night that I took a B6 before bed just so I could sleep. This morning I don't feel the nausea anymore. I was even able to drink coffee, which is the one thing I absolutely can't stand when really and truly pg. Was the B6 that effective, or is something wrong?

To make it worse, I noticed the tiniest pinpricks of pink blood on my underwear yesterday. It was really puzzling because when I went looking for more, there was nothing there. Nothing still. I was cramping yesterday, too.

My u/s in on Tuesday, but I'm already resigning myself to the worst. If this happens again, I think I'm done. I can't go through this time after time. I have my one lovely DD, and I should be grateful for that. I hope the people in my life will be satisfied, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page