baby name ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if everyone is keeping their names secret or if y'all even have names picked out yet, but I thought it would be fun to have a thread to share ideas. We are pretty set on our boy name, but not sure about a girl name yet.

Boy: Haven Scott
Girl: I like Charlotte Rose, after my grandmothers, but DH thinks it may be too traditional for us. My favorite name this week is Jocelyn.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just picked up a couple of name books from the library today to get me thinking. Last time I ended up writing a list of 30-something names and DH picked one from it. However this time I'd like something less common, I guess I live in a bubble because I had no idea DS's name is as popular as it is. :

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
Old 11-29-2009, 06:27 AM

Talking about names is one of my favourite parts of pregnancy

Our favourite girl name this time around is Lydia. I find boys names harder - you'd think we'd be running out of girl names with four so far, but no. I like Theodore, DH isn't convinced (yet!).

Our naming choices are pretty traditional - we have Annabel, Juliet, Natalie and Margaret so far. I would love to name a girl River but it would just sound weird with the others, Lydia River sounds odd and all the others only have one middle name so we can't do Lydia something River. Argh. Maybe we need another cat. (but then it would have to be two. River and Kaylee.)

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:12 PM

We all ready have the name for this baby picked out. This will either be Evelyn Rose or Charles Oliver.

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 PM

We know we're having Baby E. Whether Baby E. will be Elizabeth Teagan or Emmett Christopher, we'll wait to find out. Last time round I really wanted to know the sex and found out during an ultrasound, I think this time I want to wait and find out at birth. My husband doesn't think I'll be able to stand the wait, we'll have to see.

Kate, 38, happily married to Ryan, 38, since 1991. 16+ years of infertility ended with "Surprise" Xander, born via c-section due to footling breech 01/09. Miscarriage at 6 weeks 12/09.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 AM

Cathy - I like River for a girl and I think Lydia river sounds great.

I like to look at the names on MDC. There are so many cool ideas. We have our names shortlisted (about 5 boy and 5 girl names) but we won't name the baby until we see him/her.

I feel a bit guilty because though I love to see what other people are doing with names, I don't like to share my name ideas online. Our choices are really individual and I think really good, well thought out, beautiful, and non-traditional names have a tendency to spread like wildfire on MDC.

I will however, share the name with ya'll when the baby is born.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaudynight View Post
Talking about names is one of my favourite parts of pregnancy

Our favourite girl name this time around is Lydia. I find boys names harder - you'd think we'd be running out of girl names with four so far, but no. I like Theodore, DH isn't convinced (yet!).

Our naming choices are pretty traditional - we have Annabel, Juliet, Natalie and Margaret so far. I would love to name a girl River but it would just sound weird with the others, Lydia River sounds odd and all the others only have one middle name so we can't do Lydia something River. Argh. Maybe we need another cat. (but then it would have to be two. River and Kaylee.)
I love your names -- we've tried for the tradtional-but-not-painfully-common route. I'm considering Anastasia, nn Annie, and I love the nn Maggie, but I'm not sure if I like Margaret enough or not. My current favorite girls names are Genevieve and Audrey, probably using the middle name Elanor. We always wanted an Eleanor/Elanor (LOTR reference, anyone?), but there are a ton of Eleanors/Noras in our area now, so that's pretty much out as a first name.

My favorite boy's name this month is Phillip Edward, but I don't think my husband's a fan of either name. My boys' middle names both have multiple family connections (Kenneth is both my grandfathers' middle names, one of whom goes by J. Kenneth and William is my husband's father's name, his father's name, and my uncle's name). Edward is my dad's middle name, Eddie was my other grandfather's name, and Edwin is my FIL and his father's middle name. It would a perfect connection. Also, I'm not sure I want two kids with the same initial, even though Peter and Phillip sound different. Also, my new niece's name is Phoebe and we spend a lot of time with them -- that's awfully similar sounding.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM

for a boy we have Jeremiah James

nothing yet for a girls name.

if history proves itself with our naming, he will be a boy whenever we only have one name we love, it ends up fitting perfectly.

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM

We are pretty sure of the boy name: Cade, just not sure of the middle name but we were thinking Cade Alexander or Cade Patrick Girl name: I really like Reese but no clue about a middle name. My boys middle names are family names so that theme would be nice. Patrick is my brother's name but we don't know of anyone in the family named Alexander but we like the name.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM

IF we are pg...

we have a "n" ending name that my siblings and I did...unbeknownst to us until after I had my DS...Kevin, Ashton, Hayden, Tristan, Evan...so I'd like to stay with it!

girls: Katelynn Ann(the middle name will be Ann for all of these names mine and moms middle name)
Leahann (not sure of spelling yet)
sophia(sophie for short)...but it doesn't end in "n"...

Boys: Ryan
Christian
Ethan
Old 12-01-2009, 05:28 PM

Like jenniferadurham, I am DDC lurking/stalking and saw her post and had to add that we are naming a girl Sophie.

Girl: Sophie Ellen (DP grandmom and my grandma)
Boy: James Joseph (DP dad and my stepdad)

We're big on naming kids after other relatives.

Here's hoping we can do so in late August 2010!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:44 PM

I loved the name Axl. A great German name, but of course there is the whole Guns and Roses issue with it. I have a unusual name and hated it my whole life. I just don't want people to make fun of him for it. I'm not a fan of unusual spellings of common names either.

With my son we weren't sure on his middle name and the midwife came over after my exhausting birth with the birth certificate papers and was pressing me to make a decision. It's Eric. I always loved that name and it was my second choice name for my son Jesse. I wasn't sure about using it since I thought I might use it for another child.

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM

We usually can't decide until the babe is here. DS2 was almost Heath and I still love the name. I'm not sure though-Heath Ledger has passed since I fell in love with it and I wonder if that will make it kind of weird?

For a girl, no clue!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 PM

I like
Girls:
Phillipa (pippa), Imogen, Poppy, Daphne, Polola,
Boys:
Issa, Luicios (SP?), Cassius, Lincoln, Paolo, Pablo

I guess I'm sort of a strange one. I love naming maybe that is why I have so many animals?

and I think Heath is a really nice name.

farming with 2 wild things and their hot daddy uc.jpg
Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post
We all ready have the name for this baby picked out. This will either be Evelyn Rose or Charles Oliver.
I clearly love the name Evelyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momongeon View Post
Girl name: I really like Reese but no clue about a middle name.
We almost named our DD Evelyn Reese, but DH vetoed it. I think it's a cute name, but he has something against naming our kids with a name that any celebrity has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigo View Post
I'm not a fan of unusual spellings of common names either.
I know! It drives me crazy for some reason. When I worked at a dry cleaners in high school, the people with differently spelled names ALWAYS had to correct my spelling of it. I always thought, what a drag to have to always spell out your name for everyone all the time.

We have a girl first name that I LOVE, but am keeping quiet. No idea of what the middle name will be yet. We have some possible boy names, but nothing we're very sold on.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM

I think we have a girl name picked out, but it's a one-syllable, and we seem to have a really hard time finding a middle name to go with a one-syllable first name.

Boy names are a complete mess. Ds was 11 days old before he had one. Ideas don't seem to be the problem, but agreeing is.

Names are really hard for us. Plus, we've had two losses, so thinking about names this early is really scary.

Kristen, happy wife to Jeremy; Mama to dd (2/04) and ds (8/07) and two miscarried babies (9/05 & 5/06). And beginning to believe a baby may really be coming this summer.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Interested to know (hmmm... maybe I should reconsider that, though!) what people think of the name Jameson for a girl? I know it's pretty uncommon for a girl, esp the spelling, but DP and I were theorizing how it would be cute to be able to name either a boy OR a girl after her dad.

... not to mention that I really love androgynous names. Jamie for a boy or a girl is so cute in my book!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 PM

Our girl name from the last pregnancy will carry
over- Romy. We had Caliope picked as a mn but I never liked it with Romy (it was Dh's pick) I'm going for Clover or Tallulah as a middle name this time around.
As for a boy....I'm stumped. I love my son's names. Love love them, lol. I have yet to hear another name that has the same effect on me but I have Felix, Sullivan, Sawyer, Oliver, Leo, Heathcliff (Heath), Sage so far. Dh is a little wierd about naming a boy after the same name as a celebrity ( since we already have a Jude) but Leo and Heath are my fave. So....we'll see.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzies View Post
Interested to know (hmmm... maybe I should reconsider that, though!) what people think of the name Jameson for a girl? I know it's pretty uncommon for a girl, esp the spelling, but DP and I were theorizing how it would be cute to be able to name either a boy OR a girl after her dad.

... not to mention that I really love androgynous names. Jamie for a boy or a girl is so cute in my book!
I know a girl who just named her girl Jamison. I think it's ok for a girl! I considered Jamison for a boy (not only am I Jamie but my brother is James also, so it would nice).

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 AM

The boy name we've love and agree on is Cassius. There are others we both like but the only one we both love is that one.

For a girl, we don't agree on a first name but middle name would for sure be Elaine (after my grandmother). I like "Irie" (pronounced eye-ree), Carly (Carlie?), Addison...and others.

We currently have "Will", "Luc" (pronounced like Luke), "Mikey" and "McKenzie"...

Jenn...27 year old photographer momma to my three boys (who are 9, 6 and 4), and a "step-daughter" (who is 5). The man and I are expecting our (OOPS!) 1st together...due in August we think.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFay View Post
I know a girl who just named her girl Jamison. I think it's ok for a girl! I considered Jamison for a boy (not only am I Jamie but my brother is James also, so it would nice).
Whelp, apparently the universe just made the decision for me.

when I checked my inbox this morning, there was an offer from Mothering for a free "Sophie the Giraffe" if you ordered a subscription to Mothering using the promo code provided. Also, I was napping on the bus ride in and and when I opened them to see where we were, we were passing by a cafe or salon or something called "Sophie's"

I can't ignore such premonitions. And hopefully they're also premonitions that little Sophie's sperm half and egg half are about to meet.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
LZP

Quote:
Whelp, apparently the universe just made the decision for me.

when I checked my inbox this morning, there was an offer from Mothering for a free "Sophie the Giraffe" if you ordered a subscription to Mothering using the promo code provided. Also, I was napping on the bus ride in and and when I opened them to see where we were, we were passing by a cafe or salon or something called "Sophie's"

I can't ignore such premonitions. And hopefully they're also premonitions that little Sophie's sperm half and egg half are about to meet.
I so hope those little "signs" this morning are telling of your fate!!!! I would if you were in this DDC.......!!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Coming from the business world where people judge your resume by your first name, I love the idea of androgynous names... which is part of the reason why we named our 1st "Dana"

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When pregnant with my second son before me knew he was a boy, we had picked out Katherine Linda (Linda after his mom who passed away...Katherine because we like Kate and Katie and it is hard to find a first name that goes with Linda as a middle name.) So that is what it will be if this baby survives and is a girl.

Boys are harder. I love Aidan, but it is so grossly popular right now. I like Michael for a middle name.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 AM

We have 2 boys and when I was pregnant with DS2, we had such a hard time coming up with a name... we put all our eggs in one basket with DS1. So when we found out we were pregnant again last week, I told my husband if we were having another boy, we're naming him Ponyboy because I just can't go through trying to find another boy name! (~.^)

I'm digging on Isla for a girl....
Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Haven't thought of any girl names. I like Zylo, Cyro...I like Z, X, and Y...help?!

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:

My best friend's middle name is Jameson, she loves it

Rhys & DH: waiting on our Stuffing
****5***10****15****20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, Jameson literally means "the son of James," so I would think twice about naming my daughter that. What about Jemma?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:14 AM

Thanks to all who gave feedback about Jameson. DP and I both really liked it, but the Sophie prophecies made us decide we should stick with our first choice instead of considering others. (The third part of the prophecy is that the same day of the other two, a facebook friend posted a pic of her son holding Sophie the giraffe).

.... so, if a little Sophie is burrowing in in a couple of days, that's JUST FINE with us. LOL! Now, if she has a twin....

K, getting WAY WAY WAY ahead of myself. Heehee.

jazzybaby9 - I think Zylo is WAY cute (and hip!)

LZP - OMG, I hope so, too! I SOOOOO wanna be in this DDC not only because I WANT TO BE IN A DDC, but because it'd be fun to be in one w/ you. Um, and maybe future playdates? Lol.

jennsation - I love Elaine (but then again, I love "old-fashioned" names.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:35 AM
LZP

Quote:

LZP - OMG, I hope so, too! I SOOOOO wanna be in this DDC not only because I WANT TO BE IN A DDC, but because it'd be fun to be in one w/ you. Um, and maybe future playdates? Lol.
that may have made me tear up a bit. <wipes tear> playdates...

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.

User Tag List