Mama's with anxiety disorders or depression - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was diagnosed with anxiety just after DS1 was born, but I haven't been to a dr much since then. I'd have to say that I am not officially diagnosed by a m.d. (because I know that he will only hand me a bottle of pills) but I have generalized anxiety disorder. I know that I get even more emotional & anxious when I am pregnant. I'd love to have a support thread for anyone else who suffers from these types of thing even when not pregnant.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 PM

I was diagnosed with GAD after my second was born I do a lot of meditative like breathing and talking myself down. I've been doing this for so long it's like second nature... when I was diagnosed my doctor did just had me a scrip and told me to take the pills. ick. Not my thing... even back then.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Boy Nic, you & I just seem to be kindred spirits or something, we keep meeting up all over this DDC . It is nice to know I am not alone. I have taken pills for it, but I can't stand the side-effects so I gave up on them. I do some herbs, aromatherapy, deep breathing, yoga (not much lately) & I am fianlly starting to meditate. Hopefully this will be enough to get me through this pregnancy too. I am super emotional when I am pregnant. I cry over EVERYTHING!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 PM

I haven't be diagnoised but I know I have anxiety and it has reared it's ugly head viciously this pregnancy

I had panic attacks as a teenager and taught myself how to get through them. About 2 months ago I started having anxiety about everything under the sun and spoke with my doctor about it. He explained a few things that would help... (I was panicking about my legs & hands going numb and he explained that the hands part is completely normal in late pregnancy and when I start worrying about that my breathing increases which causes the tingling to get worse... ok, makes sense now )

Anyways, I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I've searched around on MDC in the past trying to find some ways of coping.. I don't want to be handed a bottle of pills and pray every day that it gets better once the babe is here.

Mama to 2 little men (2004 & 2005) and a little lady who just arrived january 8th
Always remembering our little angels up above.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Boy Nic, you & I just seem to be kindred spirits or something, we keep meeting up all over this DDC . It is nice to know I am not alone. I have taken pills for it, but I can't stand the side-effects so I gave up on them. I do some herbs, aromatherapy, deep breathing, yoga (not much lately) & I am fianlly starting to meditate. Hopefully this will be enough to get me through this pregnancy too. I am super emotional when I am pregnant. I cry over EVERYTHING!
That's funny... I'll be your support buddy

My mom and her side of the family are all pill poppers, so I think that really put me off of medicating. I've always been a more natural remedy type person and I've grown even more in that thinking in the past few years. I've given myself a lot of pep talks while in the midst of a panic attack... I don't really get them anymore because whatever it is that I do is like second nature so I don't get to that point anymore. I'm also super sensitive when I'm pregnant.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM

I developed severe PPD after the birth of DS. I was diagnosed with it, anxiety and PTSD (traumatic birth). I saw a therapist and started taking Zoloft.

I am still taking Zoloft and am comfortable taking it while breastfeeding and being pregnant. I was so against medication and fought my PPD for 8 long months before giving it a try. It probably saved my life. So I may cut down my dosage this pregnancy, but I think I will be on it for a good long while.

Here is wishing us a healthy (mental and physical) pregnancy!

User Tag List