Telling work... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due August 4th, the girl who does my backup work has August 2nd - 18th off for her wedding/honeymoon and my boss is off August 9-21st for a family trip to Alaska. So I'm definitely feeling worried about telling them I'll be out early August - November for maternity leave.

Another fantastic aspect - we have a huge festival fundraiser over the 4th of July weekend that all staff have to work. That will be nice and hot for my 8th month... ugh!

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#2 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Well, that's an easy one - your boss can reschedule vacation, and your co-worker can reschedule her wedding, but you can't reschedule baby, so, you win!

I know its stressful thinking about telling your boss you will be gone at an indeterminable date for some time, but they'll either be happy for you and cope, or they'll be less than supportive, and they will get over it. In any case, this is a super happy and special time for you and your baby, so you shouldn't let it get to you - no matter how committed to your work you are, its still just a job. I'm sure you already know all these things, but just want to give you some support!!!

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#3 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
LZP

What she said.

Regarding your all-staff event in July: is it possible that you could get a note from a HCP for that event? I dont think it'd be that great to be out in the July heat at 8+mos preggers. Maybe you can do a 1/2 shift or something... take a break in between somewhere inside, cool with a nice drink..? UGH. I'm dreading something I have to go to in early February, and that's just standing around talking to people- I cant imagine doing something outside for many hours in JULY!

I havent told anyone at work yet either, so that should be interesting. It (early Feb) might be the week that I decide to tell! I'll also be out during 3 of our biggest events, and I am pretty sure my boss is going to be loading me up with work in the months prior. yay.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#4 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 05:50 PM

I've been nervous about telling my job, because I don't want it to affect their decision to hire me for next year (it's an academic calendar). However, in looking around a bit, I realize it may actually be in my favor to tell them....there are a lot of protections for pregnancy in the workplace!

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-...y-work-rights/

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#5 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM

I know how you all feel about telling work... I've told my principal but have yet to tell the teachers I work with. We're a small alternative school with only 5 teachers. I wouldn't be feeling so awkward about it except for the fact that in September I just came back from being on a one year mat leave and now it means I'll be gone for another year.

I want them to know that I'll hopefully be back again after taking next school year off (that is if I'm granted the same contract) but I still can't help but feel like I'm putting them in a difficult situation.

I'm also facing the possibility that my OB might tell me that I can't go back to work because of H1N1 flu. At the beginning of the year the school board pulled out all pregnant teachers who didn't want to risk getting the flu. Technically I may be able to do the same, but if in the next few months the board decides there's no longer a H1N1 threat I'll get called back to work... which wouldn't be so bad, except if I end up staying home I'll pull DS (17months) out of daycare and therefore loose his spot. Part of me wants to take advantage of the fact that I'd might be able to stay home with my son - and get 90% pay until mat benefits start, and part of me wants to keep teaching so that I can finish the school year.

I'm seeing my OB tomorrow for my first check-up tomorrow so I'll see what she says...
#6 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM

I'm slowly spreading it around my workplace, and while everyone has been supportive, they're not quite as enthusiastic and they were with my first. I see their minds spinning through 3 months of the calendar to figure out all the big stuff I'll miss.

OP, just do it quick. Like a band-aid. There's plenty of time to figure out what will happen in August.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#7 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM

I just told my principal today and she was thrilled. But then, she is great anyway. Most of the people at my work were thrilled. I was a bit nervous because I'm due, on the money, the first week back to school. Haha. Perfect timing.

As for waiting to tell, with my last pregnancy, I waited. Then I was non-renewed before I told them. They were having a reduction of force. I just broke down because I would have to pay COBRA health coverage if the district didn't hire me back because my pregnanacy would be a pre-existing condition. Eeek! Lucky for me, I actually ended up getting hired back when an older teacher retired. But it was a very bad few weeks of angst. I would reccomend letting your boss know if there is any chance they are doing a reduction in force. They won't cut a pregnant lady -- too many legal issues. So letting them know actually does help protect your job. And I figure it helps explain why I'm running late and green around the gills in the morning.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#8 of 13 Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to restrict my hours at the festival to just working in the air conditioned trailer doing finance work I think - I mostly did that last year but the shifts in the heat were killer and I know I can't handle it. (We had a girl who was due in October who worked exclusively indoors last year and I'll be more miserable than she at that point!) I have a feeling they may bring in a temp for me since everything is already set for coworker's wedding (tickets to Hawaii bought, cottage booked, venue/music, etc.)

I'm nervous but not really freaking out about it, mostly because my year review was extremely great and the person I support knows I was TTC and was teasing me saying she'd train her staff to do all her work and just watch my baby in her office all day!

My supervisor (the one going to Alaska) has known I want children since basically day one, and used to drop hints about how I shouldn't have a baby until I was here a year, etc. I didn't get pregnant until a month and a half after my yearly evaluation! I don't think it's going to be a surprise, and I don't think they'll be mean about it - I'm just such a pleaser that I hate to inconvenience anyone.

#9 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Hey Talyah- me and my hubby are having #1 here in Seattle. I too am a pleaser who works hard. I told work and I think it will be okay, but my big thing is hoping we can afford for me to take off for 3 months. Hubby lost his job in the recession and hasn't landed a new one yet so we are scraping by for the first baby. I wish this was Canada where you are paid to take a year off with baby, and am just wondering how we are going to do it. I'll be able to save up one month paid by then...Anyway, work understands, even if they can't offer me a more glamorus maternity package. My office sitting ball broke yesterday, so I have moved to a chair, which is way more static, but hey- it matches my new stretchy mom pants!
#10 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
With ds, I didn't tell them until well in the 2nd trimester, but I work from home, so no one sees me anyway! I'll probably tell them in a few months about this one, after the amnio, etc. I work a lot too, but since it's remote, I get a lot of flexibility. I did end up taking my laptop to the hospital last time (there's wi-fi in a lot of hospitals now), and did some last minute things while in the initial stages of being induced.
#11 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Lucky me-- I told at work, very early (I'm carrying as a surrogate-- it made more sense to have all the information out there upfront) and then found out this week that I've been hired for a new job and start at the end of the month. So I have to tell again. To a new employer. Aye!
#12 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 PM

We've told H's bosses (who are THRILLED) but not mine yet. We have an odd situation though, I'm up for a new job starting July 1 that will be complicated by needing leave mid-August.... so, I'm not talking til I get the job! I should know at the end of Feb where I'll be starting July 1, so after that I can start talking.
Not puking and gaining weight sure makes it easier not to tell, but it's still going to be an odd conversation about leave in August!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#13 of 13 Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well the news went over well, my boss seemed happier than I expected, the lady I provide support for was over the moon thrilled for me. Everyone keeps coming up and congratulating me. The facebook reveal went well too

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page