baby name popularity - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ideally, I'd like a name that isn't in the top 100, although the girls' name dh and I both seem to like is #44 or something and I might be okay with that so long as I don't know many locally. We'd planned to name each of our boys Eleanor, nn Nora, but my local natural parenting group has at least 3 or 4 of them now and that's too common for me. I try for traditional, easy to spell, but not that common, saint's name is a big plus.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#32 of 39 Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM

I just checked our names at the ssa and it pretty much fits with my philosophy...I'm more willing to go out on a limb with my girl names and I like my boy names more common, tho not in the top ten...My girl names are between 300 and 1000, but my son's name is in the top 100 (tho it wasn't as popular when we named him--IL's HATED his name, siad it was too weird).
My first pick for boys name this time around is in the top ten, but he'll be called by a nickname with is in the top 300...DH wanted to go with the full version in case our son wanted to revert to it when an adult. I don't know...I've planned on this name for 7 yrs now...(and I'm pretty sure it's a boy this time around). We have a super common last name, not Smith, but close, so I'm not sure I want to give such a common first name...I'm so torn!!!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#33 of 39 Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 PM

I told my mom my pick for a boy's name last night (basically to get her ready as it's uncommon and she used to give me a lot of crap for liking really out there names) - but she really loved it and said it sounded "strong".

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#34 of 39 Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud Perkins View Post
We're thinking very traditional Italian names to reflect our heritage and go with our last name. It's also a great way to avoid the whole "trendy" issue. A name that dates back to Roman times will never go out of style.
Thanks for mentioning this. I was stressing out about my name choice when I realized it dates back to Rome as well and the nickname (real name) is 14 century England. Whew. So it may be popular, but not too trendy...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#35 of 39 Old 01-29-2010, 05:54 AM

Ever since I was little (uh, 4yrs old) I knew I wanted to name my first child Taylor - boy or girl. It's a long-running family name and I was part of the line that received it (as a middle name). We had a girl and found out that Taylor was a hugely popular name for girls in 08 (around #30?)...actually part of a rising trend. I'm thinking perhaps it started with Jonathan Taylor Thomas (as I roll my eyes to think of the correlation).

We chose DD's middle name, Elise, just because it sounded good with the first and last name and it had a good meaning - "consecrated to God." I knew that El- names were really popular for girls at the time, but I really liked it. It's also a bit of a homage to my grandmother's middle name - Eloise - and my mom's middle name - Ella. Now I have a niece named Elisa, which is a little weird for me.

For this baby it seems that my top picks right now are wildly popular or the names of aunts/uncles who I don't really want our child to be "named after." Can you do that - name a child the same name as a not-so-distant relative but not have others think that the baby was named after that person? I'm not really close with those relatives, but I do see them every few years.

Andrea , wife to Mark , mama to Taylor Elise (2) and Aurora Evelyn (born 8/17/10!)
#36 of 39 Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtay23 View Post

For this baby it seems that my top picks right now are wildly popular or the names of aunts/uncles who I don't really want our child to be "named after." Can you do that - name a child the same name as a not-so-distant relative but not have others think that the baby was named after that person? I'm not really close with those relatives, but I do see them every few years.
My oldest's name is Peter, which isn't the most unique name in the world, but is surprisingly uncommon for people under 25. My husband's cousin's name is Peter. When my son was born, the cousin lived across the country and his parents lived 5 hours away and we saw all of them once or twice a year at the most. A couple months later, the parents moved to our area and the cousin moved here and even moved in with dh's sister, who we saw all the time. So it turned into Big Pete and Little Pete/Baby Peter when they were both around. It wasn't that big a deal and we joked about it, but now the names Joseph, Julia, and Laurel (cousin Peter's younger siblings) are definitely out for us because it's one thing to have one matching name -- if more of them were the same it would be too weird.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#37 of 39 Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 AM

DS's name was around 191 on the Social Security's popularity list. With this baby we don't want any names in the top 100, nothing hard to pronounce or spell, but is still somewhat unique but not totally unfamiliar. We aren't even discussing names until after we find out the gender.
#38 of 39 Old 02-02-2010, 02:35 PM

#39 of 39 Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Ideally, I also prefer names that aren't in the top 100 list, but it's not a total deal-breaker. Fortunately, these days there are more names out there being used so even the popular ones don't necessarily represent *that* many babies. Know what I mean?

I mostly just don't like the trendy "new" names. We try to pick something that is special to us and isn't the same as our close friends or family (unless it's a name honoring one of them, of course!).

~Jena~
Mom to Jocelyn (8/06), Amelia (5/08) & one on the way (8/10)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page