baby name popularity - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How popular is too popular for your baby's potential name? What about not popular enough?

We're so torn! We can't decide on a boy name for anything, and our girl name that we have LOVED for years (seriously YEARS) is just, just, just now becoming popular!! Argh!!!!

I really don't want my baby's name to be that name in school. You know, the one that has to have the last initial tacked on because every other kid has that name...

How do you draw the line at too popular or not popular enough???

(and, just as an aside,
isn't it also kind of fun to be thinking up baby names?!? )

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#2 of 39 Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM

I looove thinking of names. Our problem is we HATE common/popular names but then we don't want to get too unique and give them a name they have to explain or correct people on all the time.

DH and I rarely agree on names. That's our #1 problem. With DS it was literally just this odd happening. Found out it was a boy, DH looks at me and says, "What about Cain?" and I instantly loved it.

This time around we can't agree on anything.

We both like Lucca for a girl but that's about all we have so far.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#3 of 39 Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Well we picked Alexander for our son without thinking how popular it is, according to the SSA in 2008 it was 6th most popular (and we don't call him Alex, we call him Xander- course the school refused and calls him Alex but that's a whole nother vent), but in his school there are 4 first grades and I don't know of any other Alexander's so that's a plus. I don't choose based on popularity, I go with what sounds the best. On the other hand I won't choose things that I know are "fad names", or something like Jennifer, Jessica, Kyle, you know the most very common, mostly because well they are just too ordinary.... does that make any sense at all?

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#4 of 39 Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
I looove thinking of names. Our problem is we HATE common/popular names but then we don't want to get too unique and give them a name they have to explain or correct people on all the time.

DH and I rarely agree on names. That's our #1 problem. With DS it was literally just this odd happening. Found out it was a boy, DH looks at me and says, "What about Cain?" and I instantly loved it.

This time around we can't agree on anything.

We both like Lucca for a girl but that's about all we have so far.
We both fell in love with the girl's name we have chosen but a boy's name took a lot more discussion and I don't think we are at 100% agreement in choice right now, but we have a definite front runner. Part of it is that I am very picky about how the name flows together, and soft ending sounds with hard beginning and how the initials will be so yeah... I am a bit hard to please lol

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#5 of 39 Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For us, anything in the top 250 was too popular.

Yet, try to catch the trend... look at the most popular baby names and see if there's a pattern.

The year my kids were born was a big "Sara and Micheal" year. My kids have old fashioned names like that but also easy to say, easy to spell and not too odd.
#6 of 39 Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM

Choosing baby names is the only time when I wish that I was a single mother.

Hubby likes what he calls "normal" names, which to him means names that were used when he was a kid... like Karen, Lisa, Michelle, Steve, Rob, Jason, etc... Fine names, but they're from our generation, which makes them too soon to be used again.

I like names from 100 years ago... Rose, Caroline, Violet, Frances, Charles, Clement, Harold, but hubby thinks they're too "old".

At least we're agreed that we won't do "trendy". No Braden, Caden, Jaden, McKenzie, Colton, etc...

This is our seventh baby so if you count middle names, these will be the 13th and 14th names that we've had to agree on. We're never going to make it.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#7 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 AM

I like older, traditional sounding names. My daughter's first name is very unusual, but her middle name turned out to be one of the most popular names of her year...however it was a name from my family 90 years ago, so wuteva.

TOTALLY OT, VillageMom6, I always wonder when I see your siggy...what's a "rainbow baby?" I see you refer to your partner as "he" so I'm guessing it's not a reference to being gay parents. And I thought maybe you meant a multiracial baby, but I'm gathering you've been with the same partner for all 7 kids, so I ruled that out, (figuring you wouldn't be that excited about it after 7, haha). And then, I just thought of 7 colors in the rainbow, and this is your 7th kid, so maybe completing the set? Seriously...I need to spend less time thinking about this.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#8 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post

TOTALLY OT, VillageMom6, I always wonder when I see your siggy...what's a "rainbow baby?" I see you refer to your partner as "he" so I'm guessing it's not a reference to being gay parents. And I thought maybe you meant a multiracial baby, but I'm gathering you've been with the same partner for all 7 kids, so I ruled that out, (figuring you wouldn't be that excited about it after 7, haha). And then, I just thought of 7 colors in the rainbow, and this is your 7th kid, so maybe completing the set? Seriously...I need to spend less time thinking about this.
In case she doesn't re-look at this thread I figured I would answer for you. It means a baby after a miscarriage or loss of a child. A rainbow after a storm so to speak.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM

As someone with a unique name myself, I was determined to name my children plain ordinary names that everyone can spell and say properly. That said, with my first 2 babes I looked up the previous year's top ten and avoided them.

And yeah, it's totally fun to start thinking about again!!

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

#10 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My preference is for a name that is not in the top 500. My daughter's first name isn't in the top 1000 for the past 10 years. Yet it is (relatively) easy to pronounce and spell. We are just opening negotiations for Little TBD.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#11 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM

My personal preference is for fairly unusual names, but that's mostly because the names I like are traditional Irish names - so they're not that weird in Ireland, but no one else would have a clue how to pronounce/spell them.

We've had our boy's name picked out since last pregnancy, as we didn't get to use it that time - Colm James after both my grandfather and DH's grandfather. Because I got to choose the boy's first name DH chose DD's first name, which is *far* too popular for my liking. Seems like every second kid we meet is called Eleanor or Ellie or Ella or some such. I chose the middle name, which is also fairly popular, but it just seemed to go with Eleanor and I thought it made a nice contrast too if she wanted to use a different name later. (In fact she's already decided she wants to be called Rosie! )

This time around I've told DH if it's a girl I get to pick the name all by myself, though I'm sure I'll consult him at some point. I have a name I really like, which is pretty unusual but easy to pronounce and spell, but I cannot for the life of me settle on a middle name that fits... Still I have a while yet

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#12 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post
A rainbow baby is the baby that you conceive after a miscarriage or stillborn loss. HTH

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#13 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 12:55 PM

We've had our names picked out for years including the ones for our current kids and they all became popular in the years we wanted to use them.

Personally it doesn't matter to me, I had a very popular name when I was a kid and it wasn't an issue. As long as we love the name that's all that matters.
#14 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM

I too hate using popular names. I love some of them (like Ava for a girl) but just don't want to use them for fear of my kid having 3 other of that name in class.

Somehow DS ended up with a popular name anyway, I agreed to let DH pick it (in return I got full naming control of this babe) and when I looked his name up it was around the 60th in popularity. And then the year we used it, it jumped to 12 or 13.

This time I'm more relaxed about it, my boy name is more popular than my girl name, but I'm not going to feel disappointed if either of them magically appear in the top 15 or 20.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#15 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemomma View Post
As someone with a unique name myself, I was determined to name my children plain ordinary names that everyone can spell and say properly. That said, with my first 2 babes I looked up the previous year's top ten and avoided them.

And yeah, it's totally fun to start thinking about again!!
Haha, that's funny because I am the exact opposite. You would think I would have learned my lesson with my name, but nope. Our goal is to get as unique as possible, while still being able to pronounce it.

My daughters name was like number 678 or something the year I named her. It is rising now, which kind of irks me. All the potential names (boy and girl) that we have picked out for this one are not even in the top 1000. But I've learned that you can't count on popularity to be constant. I remember years ago a friend of mine named her son Caden. I loved the name and thought it was so unique. They actually 'made the name up' by putting her name and his dads names together. Her name is Megan, dad's name is Casey. But then 5 years later, Jaden, Caden, Aden are the most popular boys names. I think the trend right now IS to be original. Which makes it really hard to be....lol. Someone hears an original name they love and it catches on like wild fire. That is why we don't share our names online (even though I'm always tempted to).

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#16 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM

We go with totally unique names. I hate kre8tiv spellings for popular names especially. Could you use the name you like for a middle name?

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#17 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM

The name we've picked for a girl is super trendy and super common right now but I had decided on it several years ago as the combination between my mom and dad's middle name and we love the idea of that so much we aren't changing our minds no matter how popular it gets! A girl's middle name is completely uncommon, I've not been able to find it anywhere and it begins with my sister's middle name and is pronounced like my MIL's maiden name.

For a boy there was no question we'd have Robert in there - my father, his father, my grandfather and uncle and his brother all have Robert in their names, but we didn't like the idea of another Bob, Bobby and his parents hate the idea of Rob/Robbie - so we put it at middle name status. The first name is totally random and not common at all and came about because my husband was basically giving me a hard time and tossing names out at me mostly jokingly. Later I told him "um, I know it's weird but I really liked ______" and he said "me too, I can't stop thinking about it."

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#18 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
MJB

We would not pick a name that is in the top 100. Most of the names on our list aren't in the top 1000-- the most common was #806 last year and has been going down every year since 1937.
My oldest son's name, Julian, was #77 for the year he was born, but we didn't realize it was that popular and to this day, have met very few Julians so it must be a regional thing. My youngest son, Luka, was #870 (and Luca was #402) the year he was born.
I'm just hoping it's a girl because we are running out of boy names! We have 3 boy names and 5 girl names on our list.
#19 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 PM

We don't want to go over-popular, since no one wants to have 3 more kids in every class with their name. However, between me and my husband we have three languages (including English!) we'd like the name to work in, so that kind of pushes us to more traditional names. We've got a girl name that fits all three, but a boy name that only fits two so far. Working on it.

We pretty much rule out the top 10, but with the language goal, we need to be flexible beyond that. And frankly, I love my fave girl name enough that we'd just have to get over it if it became too popular. It's in the top 50, which is higher than I'd like in theory, but we picked this name years ago and love it.

#20 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks for explaining what a rainbow baby is... I'm greatly amused by the various ideas. I think I'll edit my signature to clear up any confusion.

My children have pointed out that all of their first names contain the letter "A"... so they want this baby's name to contain the letter "A".

Problem is, I like Violet and Rose! Not Violetta or Rosa.

Isn't that the most ridiculous criteria for choosing a name?

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#21 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM

We don't go for trendy (like the aidan, cayden, etc) but we chose names we liked or that were more along the lines of family names, or had meaning to us. Finn and Samuel aren't super unique, but we like them. For a girl, we really like Emily - it's my aunt's name who passed away a few years ago, but I know it's SUPER popular. I also like Anne and Mary, and love Henry for a boy. We haven't decided yet this time, but it'll be something along those lines...

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#22 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM

I don't like popular names & I don't like kr8tv spellings either. That being said I also have learned that alot of kr8tv looking spellings are actually traditional spellings (such as my Rhys instead of Reese) I also really despise the trend of traditionally boy names being given to girls. It is so hard to find good boys names & now so many are being given to girls which for some reason makes them so much less likely to be used on boys much.

For a boy we are looking at either Dillon or Ian. Dillon, although more often spelled Dylan, is supposed to be in the top 20 but I've not heard of another Dillon in years.

For girls we are very undecided. We really like Lucy but that is the only name we have agreed on so far.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#23 of 39 Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 PM

My choices are no secret, so I'll be glad to share. If this is a boy, I really like Kieran, not overly popular right now but I can see it becoming very popular which really is no deterrant for me. My husband thinks it sounds too much like a girl's name. But I like the way it sounds with our last name which is McLean, and it happens to also be a Saint's name, which is a plus.

If it is a girl, we will likely use the name we had picked out for the last baby that turned out to be a boy. And that is Katherine-very popular but not trendy, more classic, so I don't care.
#24 of 39 Old 01-24-2010, 12:50 AM

I hate popular names. I prefer out of the top 100, preferably in the 200's. I agree with the PP who mentioned you can't guarantee a name's popularity. In 2004 my oldest son's name was in the 300's on the SS name index and it's been gaining ever since (in 2008 it was in the mid 200's). I know 3 other boys with his name now! I don't know if it's just around here, but it's a bit more popular than I would like (although I don't care...it's still my favorite name ever!)
For a girl we have Romy picked out from our last pregnancy but we're clashing over the middle name. Either Calliope (DH's choice), Clover or Fay (which is my middle name, my grandmother's name, and his grandmother's middle name). It seems like Fay would be the obvious choice but I don't like to reuse names. I know, weird. lol! I'm trying to get over that because I think if it wasn't a family name I would really like it anyway and it would make my the Great Grandmas on both sides so happy. BUT, I really want Clover...we'll see.
For a boy it's been tough. My top choices were Heathcliff or Leo but since our oldest has a name that's the same as an actor, DH didn't want anything that might make it look like a trend. Even though that had nothing to do with ANY of my choices. ::sigh:: He agreed on Oliver and Felix. Oliver is my fave boy's name but it just doesn't sound right with our last name and it's getting a bit too popular right now. So, it looks like it might be Felix. Middle name undecided.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#25 of 39 Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFay View Post
I hate popular names. I prefer out of the top 100, preferably in the 200's. I agree with the PP who mentioned you can't guarantee a name's popularity. In 2004 my oldest son's name was in the 300's on the SS name index and it's been gaining ever since (in 2008 it was in the mid 200's). I know 3 other boys with his name now! I don't know if it's just around here, but it's a bit more popular than I would like (although I don't care...it's still my favorite name ever!)
For a girl we have Romy picked out from our last pregnancy but we're clashing over the middle name. Either Calliope (DH's choice), Clover or Fay (which is my middle name, my grandmother's name, and his grandmother's middle name). It seems like Fay would be the obvious choice but I don't like to reuse names. I know, weird. lol! I'm trying to get over that because I think if it wasn't a family name I would really like it anyway and it would make my the Great Grandmas on both sides so happy. BUT, I really want Clover...we'll see.
For a boy it's been tough. My top choices were Heathcliff or Leo but since our oldest has a name that's the same as an actor, DH didn't want anything that might make it look like a trend. Even though that had nothing to do with ANY of my choices. ::sigh:: He agreed on Oliver and Felix. Oliver is my fave boy's name but it just doesn't sound right with our last name and it's getting a bit too popular right now. So, it looks like it might be Felix. Middle name undecided.
I love Clover. Dh does not, well not for a first name anyway. We do traditional names for the first name and less common for the middle names.
#26 of 39 Old 01-24-2010, 03:11 PM

hm, this thread really got me thinking and doing some research...

when DS was born, we lived in thailand and needed not only to find a name that DH and I both liked, but that also worked in three languages - english, german, and thai. those were a LOT of vriteria to meet, since on top of it DH and I are from entirely different generations. So, the names I dislike, bc someone in my class I didn't like was called that, he likes and the ones I like, he had an old aunt/teacher/uncle/neighbour who had that name.

this time the language criteria is irrelevant, but we still have to agree. miraculously we already found a girl's name we both love.

BUT: I just checked and both our DS's name and the girl's name we chose (now I really hope for a girl, silly me) have both been in the top 100 for the last 10 years and even on place 15 and 16 in the past year in germany. I guess I just can't escape the trend... :

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#27 of 39 Old 01-24-2010, 04:12 PM

If we have a boy he will probably be named Camden, and if we have a girl, IDK but I am really liking Arabella and Adalyn. DH always just says "okay" which stinks but, I guess it makes it a little easier.

Carrie - Christian, tandem nursing, knittin' mommy to my two little intact, cloth diapered, vax free boys CJ 4-4-08 and squishy Camden born at home 8-3-10!
#28 of 39 Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM

We're thinking very traditional Italian names to reflect our heritage and go with our last name. It's also a great way to avoid the whole "trendy" issue. A name that dates back to Roman times will never go out of style.

Our girl name is extremely common in Italy, but is only in the top 500 here. (A celebrity chose it a couple of years ago, which makes me nervous, but it didn't seem to catch fire afterward.) I've never even heard our boy name in the States.
#29 of 39 Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud Perkins View Post
We're thinking very traditional Italian names to reflect our heritage and go with our last name. It's also a great way to avoid the whole "trendy" issue. A name that dates back to Roman times will never go out of style.

Our girl name is extremely common in Italy, but is only in the top 500 here. (A celebrity chose it a couple of years ago, which makes me nervous, but it didn't seem to catch fire afterward.) I've never even heard our boy name in the States.
We do that too! We named our daughter a very traditional Italian name, which fits with my DH's heritage. Giovanna. (Would be Judith in English). Here in the states the most common issue is people messing up the gender and calling her Giovanni (Which would be John in English). Sort of irksome, but I figure she can handle it.

For this child, I know we are going to struggle over it so we are waiting until we find out the gender so we can at least cut the possible options in half! I rather like Alessandro for a boy, but I think my DH is a bit unsure. I think the fact that it was #2 in Italy last year may be part of his hesitation. I'm sure we will make up our minds by August!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#30 of 39 Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageMom6 View Post

Problem is, I like Violet and Rose! Not Violetta or Rosa.

Isn't that the most ridiculous criteria for choosing a name?
Violet was my great aunt's name, she passed last year and was *the* most wonderful woman extremely loving and devoted just fantastic all around

Also my uncle's name is Clement but that's a fairly common name in Jamaica

Rhys & DH: waiting on our Stuffing
****5***10****15****20****25****30****35 ****40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page