Early sign of gest. diabetes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lately when I eat something sugary (cookie, ice cream, fruit that is high is sugar) I tend to feel crappy afterwards. Could this be an early sign of gestational diabetes? I'm trying to cut down on eating sugar in general, not that I eat a ton, to see if that helps.

I am just getting out of the stage of morning sickness where I feel crappy all the time anyway, so discerning what is making me feel bad can be a little difficult

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#2 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Sugar in general makes me feel crappy. For me, blood sugar issues are linked to adrenals. When my adrenals are happy, no issues. Any stress for them and I have highs and lows. Pregnancy is what tipped my adrenals over the edge 3 yrs ago. They're much better this time around, but they did tank for a few weeks at the beginning.
It is hard to figure food issues out when food is your enemy, isn't it? Cannot WAIT to be through this part (tho the aversions are less and less these days).

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#3 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 05:52 PM

Do you feel crappy right after or a bit later? What kind of crappy (this can help us figure if it's high or low blood sugar). I've had some low blood sugar moments lately. Partly pregnancy itself, but also partly the crappy, processed food that was the only stuff I could get down for a while.

#4 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet_ View Post
Do you feel crappy right after or a bit later? What kind of crappy (this can help us figure if it's high or low blood sugar).
I think its more like 15-20 minutes later. Because fresh cookies feel really good when the first go down, then I'm kind of headachey, dizzy-ish, and sick to my stomach, and think.... ehhhhck, shouldn't have eaten that!

The next time I eat something good and sugary, I will actually get out my little kitchen timer, and see how long it takes to feel bad.

#5 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It could just be that your body is telling you that it's not wanting that kind of food right now. Sugar is hard on your body, and it may be more than it can take right now. I know I can't eat anything sugary (and have strong aversion to it) the whole first trimester. If you're body is telling you to stay away, it may be best to listen to it for the time being.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 8 Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM

I was like that with anything sweet for a few days and then I figured out it was happening on days where I wasn't eating nearly enough protein. I think it had more to do with what I wasn't giving my body that it needed than that I was eating sweets. I still get that way with ice cream but we think I've developed a bit of a lactose sensitivity since I can eat a chocolate brownie w/ chocolate fudge frosting without any problem... I know... real healthy eating there

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
#7 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 AM

I saw this the other day, and was wondering the same thing. The same thing happens to me, and it did the last pgcy, too. (But I was never tested for GD, so I don't know about that. I didn't have a larger than usual baby for me, though.)

For me my heart races, I get headachey, VERY tired, and sometimes my right eyelid will twitch.

I thought about it very hard, and I've been doing some experimenting over the last few days. My kids have all been sick, and I have been getting very little sleep. Turns out, if I get sleep, NOTHING happens. When I don't, drinking a glass of water is enough to make my heart race. I also remembered it happening for just a week or two when I was on pg 2.

So...my antedoctal experience is to be sure you are sleeping enough, as that it apparently my trigger.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#8 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
So...my antedoctal experience is to be sure you are sleeping enough, as that it apparently my trigger.

Funny the things you learn when you start really listening to your body!

The post-sugar-sick thing seems to have abated, but I think it was strongly correlated with not eating enough protein. Now, if I have some cheese or milk, or an egg along with some fruit or a cookie, I seem to do ok.

I did get myself into trouble on Sunday, though - I had to drop my DH at the airport, then hit Dunkin donuts to get DD's favorite cinnamon raisin bagel. I saw a butternut donut there, and it looked SOOOO good, so I brought it home and drank a glass of milk with it. Evidently, that was not enough protein, because about 20 minutes later when we zipped off to church I came very close to passing out on the floor when I went from sitting to standing. Eek! I'd just "announced" the pregnancy on Facebook where I have a lot of church friends, so that would have been a dramatic follow-up if I'd actually sprawled on the floor

Also, I learned that eating oatmeal helps your body slow the metabolism of sugar, so I have been trying to eat that first thing in the morning to help even things out the first part of my day. I seems to work pretty well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page