Looking for a new prenatal vitamin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been taking the vegan prenatal from Trader Joe's since a few days before ttc and am now 12 weeks. I don't think I can stand these things much longer. I can't swallow one without gagging. So that's what I do. Every night. I just want something that's a bit smaller and doesn't smell awful. I also want a veg*n formula. Maybe this is too much to ask. Ideas? Thanks
#2 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm very particular about what vitamins I will take (nothing synthetic), and after much research decided I was comfortable with New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. I have no idea if it's vegan though...

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM

I take the rainbow light, they make regular size and mini tablets (you take 3 a day). They're vegan.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#4 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 PM

The Rainbow Light one-a-day & the TJ's prenatals are the same. Most TJ's products are brand name products just with their label, & most importantly much cheaper

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#5 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies. It sounds like if I want a smaller pill I'll have to take more than one each day. I'm not sure if it's worth it to me. But it's good to know I have options!
#6 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I take the New Chapter and I have to take three. It's honesty pretty rough some days to get them all down.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#7 of 20 Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 PM

DDC Crashing to say that I love the new chapter and the rainbow light one daily ones. I know the midwives I saw when I was pg w/ds were fine with us taking a children's multi and folic acid (and to have your iron levels checked), maybe that's something you can look into

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#8 of 20 Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is what I use:

http://www.megafood.com/products/who...l/baby-and-me/

MegaFoods Baby & Me.
#9 of 20 Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 AM

I had a lot of trouble with prenatals, so much that I barely took them my first trimester Until I found liquid prenatals. I'm not sure if this one is vegan, but I'll mention it here in case it's of use to anyone else. It's called Buried Treasure Prenatal Plus DHA Complete. I drink it slightly watered down, and it tastes like a combination of orange and grapefruit juice, with a prenatal dissolved in it. Can't escape that vitamin taste completely! But it's much more palatable than horse pills.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...46YXT7WHZW81HK
#10 of 20 Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 AM

I was using the New Chapter, but after a while the smell *really* got to me and I was gagging while trying to take them, so I switched to the Rainbow Light. The once-a-day works much better for me!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#11 of 20 Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM

I hate vitamins with a passion but my midwife gave me some samples and the preferaOB ones don't make me burp or gag. They are tiny and the ones with DHA are veg based too. There is no smell and they are smaller. Vitamins tend to gross me out big time.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#12 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

I love the idea of liquid vitamins!
#13 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 AM

I just got my "innate response baby & me Trimester I & II" formula from my ND neighbor, and I have to say, I LOVE THEM. I'm a terrible pill taker, and I had been suffering with the TJ's one a day prenatals. These slip right down. I"m taking 4 a day (two am, two pm) and I'm having no problems. They're a slightly smoother, smaller shape, and don't seem to have any noticeable flavor or odor. I'm SO relieved and happy.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#14 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Last pg I took Rainbow Light, or tried to, but they made me gag and I switched to Floradix and folate. This time I'm taking New Chapter 3-a-day and I don't have any problems getting them down.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#15 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 PM

i'm taking rainbow light one a day. it's vegan. it's food based. (and i got it on sale!) i'm sure you can order it online for cheap. i haven't had any nausea related to the vitamins.

DD: 8/10

#16 of 20 Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 PM

I've been looking for a good option for prenatal vitamins (just in case...) that don't make me gag, throw up, and/or get a stomach ache. I love the sound of the Buried Treasure liquid vitamin, but I'm wondering, how long does this stuff last? Would I be buying a bottle every week?

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#17 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

One bottle contains 16 ounces and a daily serving is 2 Tbl (1 ounce), so you basically need 2 a month.
I'm seriously considering buying this stuff, even though it's more than twice the cost of my current regime.
#18 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM

sweet mama makes one that i like. know they are vegetarian, but not sure about vegan. they are multiple pills/day though.

http://hedleys.ca/sweet_momma.html
#19 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 04:11 PM

I love New Chapter Perfect Prenatal (or Multi-for-2 as they're called now in Canada, apparently someone had issues with the fact that "Perfect" was in the name, so they had to change it here!). I take three a day; one with each meal. Actually, I take 2 in the morning because I keep them refrigerated and I don't want to carry the bottle around to work. Then I take one with dinner. THey're pretty small as far as prenatals go. Also, I noticed a difference in energy a few days after starting to take them. That tells me I'm absorbing them! Expensive but worth it (even though I don't have much extra cash flow).
#20 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelanson View Post
I love New Chapter Perfect Prenatal (or Multi-for-2 as they're called now in Canada, apparently someone had issues with the fact that "Perfect" was in the name, so they had to change it here!). I take three a day; one with each meal. Actually, I take 2 in the morning because I keep them refrigerated and I don't want to carry the bottle around to work. Then I take one with dinner. THey're pretty small as far as prenatals go. Also, I noticed a difference in energy a few days after starting to take them. That tells me I'm absorbing them! Expensive but worth it (even though I don't have much extra cash flow).
Yes, this is the first brand of vitamin that I have actually noticed a difference while taking it. The cool thing is that you don't have to take it with food if you don't want because it IS food. This is great for me in the morning since I don't eat breakfast until later in the morning at work and don't want to haul my vitamins back and forth between work and home.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page