Spotlight on... rightkindofme! Feb 6-10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a few questions to get you started... feel free to add more info to this!

EDD:
Name:
Family:
Baby's Gender (hopes or guesses):
Names you like:Secret!
Birth Plans/Preferences:
Strangest craving/aversion this pregnancy:
Hobbies/Interests:
How you met your SO:
How you ended up at MDC:

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#2 of 15 Old 02-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
EDD: Late August. I actually don't remember anymore.
Name: Krissy
Family: husband is Noah (best husband EVER!!!), daughter is Shanna (20 months)
Baby's Gender (hopes or guesses): I'm not sick this time so I feel sorta like this will be a boy but I'm pretty thrilled either way.
Names you like: for a boy we will stick with the one we picked last time--Orion Gabriel. For a girl we have no clue.
Birth Plans/Preferences: I'm going to try for a homebirth again. Last time that didn't work out. It's a long story.
Strangest craving/aversion this pregnancy: That's what is so weird-I'm eating more or less normally. I don't like raw vegetables and Thai food isn't as good as normal but otherwise no major cravings or aversions. This is such a different pregnancy than last time.
Hobbies/Interests: reading, blogging, alternative sexuality, teaching, psychology of survivors, and I used to love dancing.
How you met your SO: That's a funny story. I came to a party at his house as someone else's date. I didn't stay with my date. Whoops. (The good news is I'm still good friends with that date and his now-wife.)
How you ended up at MDC: I was very interested in all the major points of AP before I had ever heard of AP/Dr. Sears/etc so in the process of doing research I found MDC over and over and eventually settled in during my first pregnancy. The level of crunch is overall a reasonable fit for me.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 15 Old 02-06-2010, 04:32 PM

What do you like to read?
Are you planning to tandem nurse?
I love the name Orion, I considered it for my son

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#4 of 15 Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
What do you like to read?
Are you planning to tandem nurse?
I love the name Orion, I considered it for my son
Mostly historical romance--and I feel no shame. :P I gravitate towards fiction with very strong female character development and biographies of 'wild women'. Lauren Bacall is awesome and one of the neatest biographies I've ever read is Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady. Mostly my pursuit of a BA and MA in English literature has convinced me that the 'classics' suck.

I am planning to tandem nurse. I'm pretty excited about it, actually. I really appreciate the calming/defusing results of nursing. I am so grateful that I'm nursing my toddler.

Orion is my husband's pick. He thinks it is the best name ever. I think that we are rooting for a boy so much partially because he really really wants a kid named Orion. Silly husband.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#5 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM

What's your ideal holiday/destination?

What kind of music do you listen to?

How did you get into the psychology of survivors?

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#6 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Oh man. I love to travel and I've done a lot of it so I'm not sure that I have a singular ideal. It all depends on why I want to travel this time. Lately I've been torn between wanting to go to Scotland and wanting to go to Hawaii again. And I would really love to move to New Zealand.

I mostly listen to country music but I have a soft spot for synthetic pop and dance music. I like a lot of 80's hair bands and motown. I'm also into Irish traditional music and Celtic Rock. I'm kind of eclectic.

You might call it narcissism but I think it was more that I wanted to figure out how to not be so broken. I had a fantastically bad childhood and I came out of it with a wide variety of mental health diagnosis that essentially meant that I would never be 'normal'. I decided to not let my childhood decide my adulthood. It's been a lot of years and a lot of work but now I'm only a pretty average level of neurotic.

#7 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 06:11 PM

HI! Now, you know that Noah can't be the best husband ever, because MARK is!

Gabriel is my favorite boy name right now, BTW.

So glad you're here with me.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#8 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM

I will very quietly admit that Mark is the best father ever, but I think Noah is a better husband. Mark would drive me batshit as a husband.

I thought you weren't telling anyone your favorite names.

Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post
HI! Now, you know that Noah can't be the best husband ever, because MARK is!

Gabriel is my favorite boy name right now, BTW.

So glad you're here with me.

#9 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Well, we're totally agreed on a girls name (definitely the first name anyway), and I'm not telling that. But I thought I'd share that I liked that name. We're not totally agreed on that. Same thing happened last time, though, and makes me think it's a girl again. Never REALLY agreed on a boys name that I felt sure about last time.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#10 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 08:40 PM

What did you teach when you were a teacher?

Even though you hate "the Classics" do you have a favorite?

Is living in CA as crazy expensive as everyone says it is or is it all about how you live your life?
#11 of 15 Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 PM

I taught high school English, primarily to Juniors.

Well, my favorite book to teach was One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed The English Patient (it was on the mandatory reading list so I count it). But of the really old ones my favorites are Taming of the Shrew and The Canterbury Tales. I wrote a truly excellent paper in college about the bdsm elements of Taming of the Shrew. That was so fun.

Pretty much. Let's just say that when I see people on this website post about how much money they live on my mouth drops open in shock. Income level wise we are in the top 5-6% of the country and in the bay we are middle class but certainly not upper middle class. It's pretty crazy. We live very simply in order to do things like travel (which is one of my biggest priorities in life).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbane View Post
What did you teach when you were a teacher?

Even though you hate "the Classics" do you have a favorite?

Is living in CA as crazy expensive as everyone says it is or is it all about how you live your life?

#12 of 15 Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 AM

What books do you like or recommend on sexuality?
#13 of 15 Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Well that's a broad question. It depends on what parts of sexuality.

For sexual assault survivors my go to books are: The Survivor's Guide to Sex, The Courage To Heal, Ghosts in the Bedroom, and The Sexual Healing Journal. The first of the three is really complete on how how to explore sexual situations when you have a lot of triggers. The second of the three is not specifically about sex, per se, but I think anyone with any sexual assault history should consider it a mandatory read; there is a lot in this book that will help you grow as a person and your sexuality is part of your personhood. The third is aimed primarily at incest survivors, but it is broadly applicable to anyone who has been molested by someone who was close to the family/a constant presence in your life growing up. It's very intense for all that it is very short. The fourth book is another workbook that helps you go through the very intense feelings around sexual assault. If you are a sexual assault survivor, and 1/6 women in the US are, I feel that in order to move on with your life you should look at how you have been changed by these experiences rather than try to ignore it and 'get on with your life'. If you don't really deal with things then you will spend your whole life missing out on things you don't even realize exist.

For sexuality as a broader more academic subject I recommend books of a few different types. There are a few feminist books that include powerful work towards accepting female sexuality as healthy but they are not 'sexuality' books per se, such as Slut! Growing Up Female With a Bad Reputation which looks at things like how girls are shamed with the mere idea of being sexual and how that damages us. Cunt: a declaration of independence is a lot more political than I generally recommend (she is very radical) but this book is really amazing at looking at how women have been treated historically and how sexuality has been used as an oppressive tool. That's just neat. I also think that anyone who is interested in sexuality should read about relationships because unless you are talking about asexual people (who exist but they are a very small minority) you are going to deal with other people. Aching for Love, Undefended Love, and Codependent No More. It's been my experience that even relationships that are pretty good and pretty healthy can still benefit from people learning more about boundaries, limits, and healthy desires.

For parents I hands down recommend Everything you never wanted your kids to know about sex (but were afraid they'd ask). It's really good and goes through the development of sexuality from birth all the way through adulthood.

All of these books can be found through Amazon.

I am shamefully undereducated in the areas of sexuality with disabilities, gender issues in sexuality (transgender/transsexual), and I have done very little research into minority sexual issues--they exist and I occasionally hear about them in passing but I don't know enough to speak well about them. (The intersection of racism, classism, and sexism all present unique problems I have never faced as a white woman so I try to keep my mouth shut in areas where my ignorance could be hurtful.)

If you are interested in stuff about kinky sexuality you should PM me. I am pretty sure getting into the specifics about what I recommend there would be pushing the UA to the breaking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul76 View Post
What books do you like or recommend on sexuality?

#14 of 15 Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
Mostly historical romance--and I feel no shame. :P I gravitate towards fiction with very strong female character development and biographies of 'wild women'. Lauren Bacall is awesome and one of the neatest biographies I've ever read is Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady. Mostly my pursuit of a BA and MA in English literature has convinced me that the 'classics' suck.

Have you ever read "Through A Glass Darkly" or "Now Face To Face" by Karleen Koen? I never liked romance novels but I always have enjoyed historical fiction. They are an easy read (if you don't mind that) and a good mixture of both.
#15 of 15 Old 02-10-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerMom View Post
Have you ever read "Through A Glass Darkly" or "Now Face To Face" by Karleen Koen? I never liked romance novels but I always have enjoyed historical fiction. They are an easy read (if you don't mind that) and a good mixture of both.
I haven't! Thank you for the recommendations. I will go add them to my amazon wishlist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page