Books to read? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you could list the books you want to read before the baby gets here! This is my first so we're really excited and nervous, but don't know a whole lot about newborns!

I came across the book Baby Led Weaning and am thinking I'd like to read it if I can find it at our library.

Any other books you can't wait to read? Recommendations?
#2 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM

save the weaning book till after baby comes. i highly recommend A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer, and for nursing i recommend anything by Dr. Jack Newman.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#3 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM

Last pregnancy (recommendations):
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
Spiritual Midwifery
Birth:The amazing history of how we are born
Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
Baby Book (Dr. Sears)

This pregnancy's reading list (so far):
Birthing From Within
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
#4 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 PM

I rec Goer's book as well. I like O'mara's Having a Baby, Naturally too.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#5 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM
MJB

This is my third, so I don't need to read anything on pregnancy or nursing, but I reserved "Montessori From the Start" from the library. I haven't used any Montessori methods intentionally with my boys (I think we might have done some by chance) but I think it sounds really nice and would like to try and incorporate them into my parenting with this babe.
#6 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM

I ZOOMED through so many books during my first pregnancy (which only lasted 3 months) but that was enough time to go from clueless to definitely settled on homebirth! This time around I'm itching for more reading, but I think I've read just about all there is about pregnancy and birth, so maybe I should move on to baby books. Or maybe someone will suggest some that I haven't read.

I'm looking over my library history, and here are some of my favorites:

Childbirth without fear : the principles and practice of natural childbirth / Grantly Dick-Read ; foreword by Michel Odent

The thinking woman's guide to a better birth / Henci Goer

Gentle birth choices / Barbara Harper

Deliver this! : make the childbirth choice that's right for you-- no matter what everyone else thinks / Marisa Cohen.
#7 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 PM

Birthing from Within is definitely a must-read!

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#8 of 29 Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. It's soooo informative about the stages of labor, what to expect, what's really happening inside your body, and gives relaxation exercises to practice with and without your partner.

Pushed by Jennifer Block is really interesting.

If you haven't decided on vaccines yet, you may want to do some reading up on that too as you have to start making decisions about it right away after the baby arrives. I recommend Are Vaccines Really Safe and Effective? (can't remember the author).

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 29 Old 02-07-2010, 12:30 AM

I probably won't do much this time. With my first I read:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Birthing from Within
Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn by Simkin

And I think there is a Sears book just on childbirth but its been so long I could be remembering incorrectly and just read that part of the Baby book.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#10 of 29 Old 02-07-2010, 02:14 AM

I highly reccommend Dr. Sears Baby book. REally good on natural and gentle parenting and really explains all stages from 0-2 years old really well.

The Womanly ARt of Breastfeeding is also a must read in my opinion. It really helped prepare me and give me confidence to breastfeed and helped me plan ahead for any potential problems, especially if nurses or whoever tried to push formula.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#11 of 29 Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
All of the suggested are great ideas!

I can tell you what not to read, though you probably already know!

Stay away from real trendy mainstream books like "What to Expect". It's all I read my first go-round, and I'm sure it's been re-done since, but it really made me feel I needed to be medically managed..and I sure was.

Stay away from the freebie style baby mags such as American Baby. (at least for taking anything seriously!) I recently posted in the "I'm not vax'ing" forum about their outrageously false and misleading pro-vax articles.

Couple that with the most important parenting ideas being what type of formula is best, and what stroller to buy, and you have the makings for some pretty shallow parenting..not so good for ideas on loving discipline, breastfeeding without formula being a back up, etc.

MDC is so full of so many educated views, I feel you are able to gain so much experience to then base your own research on...right here.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#12 of 29 Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
Couple that with the most important parenting ideas being what type of formula is best, and what stroller to buy, and you have the makings for some pretty shallow parenting..
I totally agree with you about mainstream parenting magazines being vast wastelands of inane advice.

But I will never understand what's so anti-AP about strollers. To me, they are sometimes a God-send!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#13 of 29 Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
If you haven't decided on vaccines yet, you may want to do some reading up on that too as you have to start making decisions about it right away after the baby arrives. I recommend Are Vaccines Really Safe and Effective? (can't remember the author).
I haven't read the aforementioned book, but I second the opinion that you should read up on vaccines on have an informed opinion on what vaccines you do/don't want, if any. Hepatitis B is given on the day of birth at almost all hospitals, and you really can't make an informed choice and research right after giving birth! And for that matter, you're going to be sleep deprived and have milk brain around when baby is 2 months old when the battery of 8 vaccines are given. So, better to do your reading/research/decision making now when you have the time to really think about it, and discuss with your partner!

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#14 of 29 Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageMom6 View Post
I totally agree with you about mainstream parenting magazines being vast wastelands of inane advice.

But I will never understand what's so anti-AP about strollers. To me, they are sometimes a God-send!
I don't get it, either! I've used one with all my children, at some point...

I was just emphasizing that it seems that the "cool gear" is SOOO important in those magazines...and what I've noticed, it's the subject to really have the least impact on parenting and it's results!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#15 of 29 Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post

Pushed by Jennifer Block is really interesting.
I've got this on hold at the library.

I agree on all counts on the parenting-type magazines. They drive me batty.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#16 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 AM

There are lots of books about giving birth--but can anyone recommend books about the experience of pregnancy? I'm only 14 weeks, and what I really want to read about is what I'm going through now! Any suggestions, please?

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#17 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 AM

I love all the suggestions you've gotten for birthing books. I would also recommend "Spilled Milk: Breastfeeding Adventures of Less than Perfect Moms" which is a book of breastfeeding stories by real women, which is a nice change from the LLL book and other "how to" manuals.

Last time I was pregnant I read a book at Barnes and Nobel (didn't buy it) that I loved called "Hands Off My Belly". It was funny, down to Earth and easy to read.

On my reading list this time is "Pregnant Pause" which should make me laugh (I hope).

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#18 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayb View Post
There are lots of books about giving birth--but can anyone recommend books about the experience of pregnancy? I'm only 14 weeks, and what I really want to read about is what I'm going through now! Any suggestions, please?
I had the Dr. Sears Pregnancy Book, which was great, and also the What to Expect, which was total fear-mongering, imo... way more "medicalized" and it made me scared and anxious that there was always something abnormal going on.

for birth, I'm reading
Hypnobirthing (Mongon) though not doing classes
Birthing From Within -England (just started)
Pushed - Jennifer Block- this one has lots of research-backed discussions on natural birthing, so I think it's one I may share with dh since he's very "matter of fact" like that.
the Idiot's Guide to Natural Childbirth- was a great starting point when you're a bit clueless about natural birth- it clearly outlines all your options and is easy to jump around to the topics you're interested in. Though it will not give you in-depth info/support.

and I agree too with those parenting magazines.. grandma-in-law gave me a FOUR YEAR subscription to one.. and believe me there are too many hoops to jump through to try to cancel a gift subscription, without the gift giver knowing. I just recycle.. I don't want to torture anyone by passing it along.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#19 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 AM

I just ordered Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding. I also ordered Your Best Birth but I've yet to talk to anyone who's read it. So...anyone read it?

I considered ordering Pushed but wasn't sure...but now I think I'll get that one too.

I'm a huge reader...I think I'll start making a book list right now.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#20 of 29 Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
I just ordered Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding. I also ordered Your Best Birth but I've yet to talk to anyone who's read it. So...anyone read it?

I considered ordering Pushed but wasn't sure...but now I think I'll get that one too.
sorry- just realized I'm ddc crashing.
I read Your Best Birth (the Ricki Lake one). It was fairly good, obviously biased toward the most natural birthing situation possible, so there were occasional moments of scare tactics against the "evil hospitals, OB's and old-school nurses".
I think Your Best Birth would be helpful for someone like myself who will be giving birth in a hospital and may be confronting care providers that aren't necessarily on board with natural birthing- it brings up questions and situations with ideas on how to handle them.
There are lots of text boxes throughout the book with helpful hints, and empowering birth stories of celebrities (there is a bit of a celebrity/pop culture theme to the book.. like I would expect it to be on Oprah or something).

For better or for worse, Pushed is more about the rights/policitcs of natural birthing than about actual methods/techniques, especially the last few chapters- they are very activist themed. It's really great info to know about, especially if you need to convince your dh to be onboard with natural birth, but you'll want to read other books in addition to this.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#21 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 AM

So far, I've read:

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

I've watched The Business of Being Born.

Nicole, wife to Sean, mother to Afton Reanne Evangeline, a natural birth at a hospital 8/17/2010 8lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.
#22 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 03:27 PM

just want to second anything by Dr. Jack Newman for breastfeeding books!

i also recommend:
Shiela Kitzinger, The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth

Harper, Gentle Birth Choices: A Guide to Making Informed Decisions about Birthing Centers, Birth Attendants, Water Birth, Home Birth, Hospital Birth, revised 2005

Simkin, Whalley & Keppler, Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn: the Complete Guide, revised, 2001
#23 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's nice to find some good breastfeeding videos too. It's one thing to have a book explain what a good latch looks like, and another to see a video with lots of women nursing in it. Jack Newman has one and there are a few other good ones out there. Baby Led Latching I think is another.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#24 of 29 Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Our Babies, Our Selves. Sort of the sociology and psychology of attachment parenting, and really showed a historical and research basis for attachment parenting. Very good.

DO NOT READ What to Eat When You're Expecting. My diet obsessed sister-in-law gave me that book, and I immediately felt completely incapable of doing anything right. BAD. Also, WAAAAAY too exacting. There is no room for nausea, and if you have it, you must be doing something wrong.

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#25 of 29 Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzannah View Post
Our Babies, Our Selves. Sort of the sociology and psychology of attachment parenting, and really showed a historical and research basis for attachment parenting. Very good.
I got this last week in the mail and can't wait to read it. DH saw it on the table and has really gotten into it. (He never does that.)
#26 of 29 Old 02-15-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
DO NOT READ What to Eat When You're Expecting. My diet obsessed sister-in-law gave me that book, and I immediately felt completely incapable of doing anything right. BAD. Also, WAAAAAY too exacting. There is no room for nausea, and if you have it, you must be doing something wrong.
I totally agree! I was so disgusted by the advice, "If you must have something sweet (you pathetic, weak-willed bad mother), you could have two juice-sweetened cookies a month."

TWO JUICE-SWEETENED COOKIES A MONTH?!

I have two sugar laden cookies a day, sweetheart.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#27 of 29 Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I totally agree! I was so disgusted by the advice, "If you must have something sweet (you pathetic, weak-willed bad mother), you could have two juice-sweetened cookies a month."

Huh...so I guess those chocolate donuts I had the other night are my fill of sweets for the next five pregnancies.

Back to the topic, I just finished Ina May's Guide to Childbirth the other day and loooved it. Now it's all highlighted up and has notes all over it but I plan on reading it again soon.

I read Your Best Birth as well but wasn't really feeling it. It was full of good information but for some reason I don't think I'd read it again.

I think next up I'll look for Our Babies, Our Selves at our library.

I go through books pretty quickly so I'm definitely taking down every suggestion from you ladies.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#28 of 29 Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:

ROTFLMAO. I can hear the disdain for the authors dripping in this sentence. I am guessing the store-bought chocolate cupcake with three inches of icing is sending me straight to hell as well. See you there.....

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#29 of 29 Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
It isn't a 'book' but if anyone is looking for good diet/nutrition info the Dr. Brewer Diet is wonderful. It does include quite a bit of dairy but he does show you how to change it up for vegan & vegetarian diets.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page