Who's having a UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2010, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
MJB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a good UC mamas thread in the July DDC, thought I'd get one going here!
I'm planning my second UC. I feel very laidback about it, having already done it once. I've caught both my boys, even though my first was a hospital birth.
I went into see a CNM so I could get blood work done, and scheduled an U/S for ~19 weeks. I don't plan to go back to the CNM. I didn't get any tests with my little guy but I reeeeeeally want to know the sex this time! After the U/S my prenatal care will be pretty minimal. I'll check my BP every once in a while and listen to the baby's heartbeat with a stethoscope when I (or the kids) feel like it. I've never had any pregnancy complications so I'm not worried about anything.
For the birth I'm planning another waterbirth, unless it is too hot for me to stand a warm pool. My husband wants to catch the baby this time and my 7 yr. old is going to cut the cord. We'll find something special for our 4 yr. old to do (maybe put the baby's first diaper on?)

Tell me what you're doing for "prenatal care" and what sort of birth you envision! I know I'm not the only UCer here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM

Depending on your definition of UC, I'm planning one I'll have a midwife in the house for backup but as long as I don't ask for her, she won't be in the same room or witnessing the birth. My DS was a planned UC but turned into a horrible hospital birth when XH flaked out after being completely unprepared and unsupportive. His idea of supporting me during labor was by sitting in the corner, fingers jammed in his ears and reading a comic book...then repeatedly urging me to go to the hospital and "just get the f*%#(&@% epidural".

Thankfully I'm with a new, much more loving partner but this pregnancy was a total surprise and between not knowing how he'll handle the birth and still processing DS's birth, having a hands-off midwife was the right way to go. She's well aware of what I want and is fine with my minimalist approach to formal prenatal care. I may or may not do the 20 week scan (DBF really wants to and I don't care either way) depending on how much grief my insurance company gives me over it

I'm pretty excited though about having a peaceful, healing UC with the peace of mind of backup that isn't the hospital is right there should I want or need it
Old 02-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Nope but I wish you all luck. I planned a UC for my first and after 72 hours of labor at home went to the hospital where at 86 hours of labor I came down with placental abruption and had to have a C-section. Due to being a VBAC (but more so due to the risks with having a previous placental abruption) I am going with a midwife team in a hospital. But, I will be laboring as long as possible at home.

Also, I am UPing.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Nope but I wish you all luck. I planned a UC for my first and after 72 hours of labor at home went to the hospital where at 86 hours of labor I came down with placental abruption and had to have a C-section. Due to being a VBAC (but more so due to the risks with having a previous placental abruption) I am going with a midwife team in a hospital. But, I will be laboring as long as possible at home.

Also, I am UPing and hoping for a lotus birth.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM

I won't be UC with this one either, but wanted to also wish you well. I certainly considered UC with DD, but couldn't deal with the back labor and my MIL in the next room. I'm not so good when it comes to my own fear and pain

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM

I am Ucing. I have had one Hospital birth, two birth center births, and one UC. I will UC again. I think a UC chat thread is great for a DDC.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM

still debating it. since we can't find a midwife who will do a homebirth with us... UC seems our only option, if we want to stay home. Right now my take on things is: if things happen fast, UC at home it is. I'm pretty sure DH would be up to it. If things move slowly... I dunno, we will look at birthing center options beforehand, but they are all about 40km north or south from us and I can't really imagine doing the travelling thing once I'm in labor. I just want to stay HOME! Argh...

(what's the thing with the thing in my post? seriously...! I have to get some sleep)

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
MJB

secondimpression-- if we weren't moving, I'd do the same thing. I wouldn't mind having a HB midwife I trust there to not do anything and I could have that here.
gingerbane-- I didn't know you could have a lotus birth in the hospital! Lotus birth isn't something that appeals to me personally but I think it would be fun to see the hospital staff's reactions!
seattlemama-- yay for another good UC. Strangely, I've had family and friends asking if we're going to have this one at home again... after a fantastic UC waterbirth last time... who would want to go to a hospital after that?! Not to mention the past 2+ years I've been an apprentice homebirth midwife...
franjapany-- 40km isn't really that far. I wouldn't let that be a deterrent if you want to go to the birthing center. If you wait too long at home and don't want to go, oh well! Homebirth!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 PM

1 more week till my second trimester. I sure hope the nasea leaves and the energy returns.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:48 AM

I am pregnant with my 2nd, planning my first UC. I had my son in a typical, but fast, hospital birth 8 years ago. I am going to a birth center for PC, not sure how long I will keep it up, but I'm refusing darn near everything. I had my first appt a few weeks ago and I declined the doppler but I will be having blood work done. I'm not planning on any U/S.

User Tag List