Who're the Homebirthers? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 03-04-2010, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay-isras1-I hope its covered!

Those of you doing a water birth, where are you setting up your pool? We put it in the dining room last time but this time I'm pondering rearranging the bedroom to squeeze it in there. Just thinking with 2 kids, maybe I'll want to the ability to shut the door?

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 72 Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 AM

Where to set up the pool...

I've been giving this a lot of thought, as we're in a new home. I really wanted the pool in our room, but I'm 95% sure that it just won't fit no matter how I scoot the furniture. So now I'm thinking I'll put the pool in the baby's room, which is right next to our room. That way I can inflate it a couple weeks early and leave it in the room. Plus while DH is setting up and cleaning up, it won't bother me. This solution is still not going to leave much room for other people to be in the room with me, but its the best I can do...

Enjoying life with DH. Mom to one busy DS 11/06 two happy and someone new expected 7/30
#63 of 72 Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Speaking of pools and such....can we talk water?

Alright, here's the question. Any of you have sort of an "aversion" to birthing in the water? This will be my first homebirth. My midwife is obviously pretty pro-water birth or water laboring. Most of her clients end up birthing in the water, but some do not. I have a large garden tub in my bathroom, and that's what I'll have around to use...my midwife looked at it and said it was more than adequate for birth.

I have ZERO desire to birth in the water. It doesn't come from ignorance, fear-nothing like that. I think waterbirthing is beautiful and peaceful and healthy. It's just not something I want. Did any of you feel like that, and then change your mind and end up birthing in the water?

I plan on using my tub and or shower to help in labor, but plan on "getting out" to birth. Sorry this is so rambling!

I'd post this in the birthing section, but I'd rather get some feedback from the DDC homebirthers!

Thanks ladies..hope that made some sort of coherent sense, LOL!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#64 of 72 Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm also interested in what MyFillingQuiver asked.

I love the idea of Water birth and my midwife is a huge supporter of them but...I just don't feel compelled to do it myself.

For me it might be that I just..don't like being in the water. I don't like swimming unless it's a trip to the lake for boating and sports..etc.

But I'm afraid of going into labor and then really wishing I'd rented the birthing pool.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#65 of 72 Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 PM

I didn't care if I birthed in the water or not. But I knew I wanted it for labor. With my 1st, the hospital had these awful geriatric tubs and our tub at home loses heat really fast. I think I only pushed something like 4 times with DS2 so I didn't really think about it. I was already in the tub and I was concentrating too much to think of getting out even though I didn't feel positioned perfectly. If it had been DS1, it might have been different. I pushed with him for 2.5 hrs and getting into a good, comfortable position may have been more of a concern. I will say birthing in the tub was nice because we didn't have to do any sheet laundry/ruin any sheets. Our doula drained the tub for us and the liner was disposable.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#66 of 72 Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

In our previous house, we set up the pool in our (rearranged) room. This time around, I'm in a studio and it'll have to be out in the open for everyone to see. I'm not really liking that, but what's a girl to do?
As far as WB goes, my first birth I didn't want one. I wanted to labor in the water and then get out. And I did. But I'll tell ya, getting out was not fun. The pain was more, I was wet and cold.
During my last birth I stayed in the pool the entire time. It was heavenly. I did want out once it was all over (murky water). Clean up was incredibly easy and the mw should do it. I wasn't bothered by it at all.
I do think that if you are even considering it, put it up. You may or may not want it, or you may just labor in it. The 26$ I paid was well worth the option, IMO.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#67 of 72 Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 AM

With DD, I labored in and out of the the water until transition, but then I just wanted OUT! Funny thing was I kept moving...tub to toilet to bed to tub to toilet to bed...but I distinctly remember the moment that the tub became not good. I actually think I told my husband "get me out of here now!". I didn't really feel cold or anything, but once I was past transition I just really didn't want to be in the water. I wanted to go lay on the bed. I did and that is where I birthed DD. So I'm sort of wishy washy on getting a birth tub this time. I'm sort of delaying my decision until closer to time.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#68 of 72 Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

I think the reason the water feels so good *for me* is that it soothes my back labor. I'm not sure how I'd feel if i didn't have back labor.
The toilet and the bed are both super uncomfortable for me so it's either kneeling or in a tub.
I had a friend who was set on a waterbirth and then was repulsed y it when actually in labor.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#69 of 72 Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Thanks for the perspectives, ladies! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for...keep it coming!

I had much prodromal labor with my last babe. My uterus is just good at contracting, but my cervix was extremely high and posterior, so contractions didn't amount to a hill of beans to make much change-other than softening and some effacement. Through that, the bath was my best buddy. Each night I took a long, very warm bath, and occasionally had a glass of red wine to calm the contractions (on the advice of a midwife-I'm not an alky folks)

I am looking forward to having it as a tool, but not interested in a pool. I really think I'll be ready to get out when I've had enough, and will likely birth wherever it feels best-on the bed on all fours, leaning somewhere, squatting, laying...anything but the water. However, I believe labor and delivery can be a surprising event! So, I'm remaining open to possibly being surprised by wanting to push in the tub...

Again, thanks for the thoughts and please keep talking about it all..I find it very helpful!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#70 of 72 Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 PM

I used a hot water bath to help me cope with the contractions but I knew I did not want to give birth in the water so I got out for both of my previous pregnancies at the pushing stage. I gave birth to my boys on the bed.

Live and love with your whole being.
#71 of 72 Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 PM

ok, I quickly have to post this, since I am really excited:

it looks like we're going to find a hb-midwife after all! Somehow I never really clicked with the mw i am with now and after initially not saying 'no' to a HBAC she has more or less made it clear that she wouldn't be comfortable - so what use is that to me?!
then I had my first U/S with 'the' hb-doc in Freiburg and quite frankly he got on my nerves! he said stuff like I had a 50/50 chance to have a natural birth after c/s and I might have a malformed pelvis. what the...?! he never even looked at my pelvis but just named possible reasons for why DS1 was a c/s. I know exactly why: because he was a brow presentation. but nevermind.

so, I kind of started to feel a little bit defeated about hoping for a hb and started looking into different options. and then today I told DH: you know what? I just decided, we're going to find someone who wants to do this with us and feels just as confident about it as I do!

so I went on the internet again and googled HBAC + our closest city and I got this hit of a hb-mw-practice and wrote them an email and one of them called me back tonight! I mean that's a saturday and after 6pm, so how awesome is that! And she sounded great and recommended a collegue who lived closer by, but if this mw wasn't available I should just call her back.

YAY! DS is pulling on my sleave, gotta go, but I'm feeling so buoyant and positive since that phonecall

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#72 of 72 Old 03-07-2010, 08:19 PM

I'm pregnant with twins (I'm a surrogate) and it's looking like we'll be switching our plans to homebirth. I'm so, so excited, though trying to not fully give into that until I know for sure that the babies' parents are on-board (we'll have a decision before the end of the month, after their mom has a chance to visit the MW). I'd written off the possibility of homebirth with twins because I'm required by contract to use a CNM if I use a midwife and I didn't think mine (that I used for our HB with our last child) took twin clients. I called her on a whim and she DOES-- only in very limited circumstances, but she's agreed to take me on. Hooray!

My first baby was born in a birthing center and my second was born at home. If I deliver in a hospital with my current OB (considered the crunchiest in town), I'll have to deliver in the OR, probably with only one support person (we would try to negotiate two so DH and the babies' mom could be there). My kids won't even be able to visit. I just can't imagine that after the two beautiful, warm births I've experienced. I want my kids there, I want the babies' family there, I want to be at home. Hoping, hoping, hoping that's how it works out!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page