placenta encapsulation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone thinking of this (or placenta smoothies?) We didn't keep the placenta's of DS1 or DS2 but I'm thinking of encapsulating this one. I had some PPD with DS1 and was hoping it might help. I can't quite get down with making a smoothie though. Anyone btdt or thinking of doing it?

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#2 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM

I am thinking of making placenta smoothies. I wanted to with DS, but after the c/s of course it was no good. We planted it under a tree.

I had severe PPD, and would do nearly anything to avoid it this time around.
#3 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post
I had severe PPD, and would do nearly anything to avoid it this time around.
Ditto...I never want to go through that hell again. I haven't thought much about the placenta thing yet. I don't think I could stomach a smoothie of it, maybe encapsulation, although I heard that the burps are horrendous.

Danielle, 29, wife to Manuel, mom to Ariana (6), Ivy (4), and one , expecting again! EDD 8/29
#4 of 17 Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 PM

I also had a rough time with PPD. I'd love to do the encapsulation myself but with houseguests for the weeks following the birth I don't think I will be able to right away (and DH won't).

How long will the placenta keep if I freeze it to encapsulate later? Will I still get the benefits if I wait a few weeks?

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#5 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 AM

[QUOTE=kdaisy;15052967

I had severe PPD, and would do nearly anything to avoid it this time around.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I did save mine (froze it) and after 8 mos, finally got up the courage to do it and it helped a lot. I can only imagine that I may have avoided quite a bit had I done it at the beginning. I am planning on onw *small* piece in a smoothie right after birth and then dehydrating/encapsulating the rest.

My ppd developed prenatally last time, and I have been much more level this time around (hoping that's a good sign, too).

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#6 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorona View Post
I also had a rough time with PPD. I'd love to do the encapsulation myself but with houseguests for the weeks following the birth I don't think I will be able to right away (and DH won't).

How long will the placenta keep if I freeze it to encapsulate later? Will I still get the benefits if I wait a few weeks?
I did. The sooner you use it, tho the better. I'd freeze it and process it after the birth...maybe even have MW sneak a small bit into a smoothie???

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#7 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 AM

i'm hoping to encapsulate this time.. i need to start researching and see if i can pay someone to do it for me. this is one of my favorite "smilies"... hehe.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#8 of 17 Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM

I'm thinking of doing both. My mom has already offered to encapsulate it for me. It's pretty cheap if you do it yourself, but I won't be up to doing it right away. I've also heard that it is important to put good energy into the process. My mom is the perfect candidate for that, and she finds these things interesting instead of gross.....lol.

I think I'll make a small smoothie right away as well. I figure if it's made right I might be able to stomach it, and if not, well, I'm not waisting much it I just can't handle it. I've never had PPD, but I think the benefits are so wide spread.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#9 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I saw a brochure on it at the mw's office-someone offering their services-and I know my doula does it as well. I hadn't thought of doing it myself-might have to look into that. I'm sure dh would freak if I asked him to do anything with it. He can't stand the sight of anything bloody-even on TV!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#10 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 PM

For me it would be hard to cut off a chunk and eat it...especially thinking about it with my sensitive pg stomach But I would be very interested in encapsulation. Seems like a fairly easy thing to do and if it helps with ppd, all the better!

Apprentice midwife, married to my sweet, and expecting our first Aug. '10!
#11 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 PM

I will def be encapsulating mine. I have helped my doula partner do a placenta so I will probably do my own, but may ask her to, if I'm not up for it. For the longest time, I thought no way I'd be able to consume it any other way but I think I may do a smoothie after birth too. Eh, not too much grosses me out at this point!
#12 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My midwife does the encapsulation for me and I start taking them at two days postpartum. I have never been in a better mood than the months right after the birth of my daughter and I have a history of severe depression/anxiety/bipolar disorder etc.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#13 of 17 Old 02-20-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorona View Post

It needs to be encapsulated within 3 days after birth. Within an hour after birth you want refrigerate it. If it wont be encapsulated within 3days it needs to be frozen. It needs to be used within 6mos.

Herbalist.Doula.Photographer. 
Euphoric Birth, Euphoric Herbals, Euphoric Photography

#14 of 17 Old 02-20-2010, 01:21 AM

Placenta Encapsulation

Placentophagy, ingestion of placenta, has been practiced for centuries. It is still a common practice in most countries. Different countries have various rituals and beliefs about the amazing placenta. The Ibo of Nigeria and Ghana consider the placenta to be the baby's twin. certain regions of Siberia, the buried placenta is thought to be ill or uncomfortable if the baby becomes sick. Other ritual ideas could be to bury the placenta and plant a tree on the same spot.
The placenta is thought to be rich in nutrients that the mother needs to recover more readily from childbirth. In Italy, women have been known to eat parts of the placenta to help with lactation. Hungarian women bite the placenta to expedite the completion of labor. And knowledgeable midwives in this country have their birth mothers take bites of raw placenta to help stop hemorrhaging, due to its benefitcial oxytocin content. The placenta is considered rich in iron and protein, which would be useful to women recovering from childbirth, and a particularly benefital to vegetarian women.
Pregnancy is taxing on the body, even if the mother follows the best of health regimes. The theroy behind placentophagy is that you are returning the nutrients lost during the birth process back to the body to aide in quick and smooth postpartum recovery.

The benefits of placenta encapsulation include:

•Decrease in baby blues and postpartum depression.
•Increase and enrich breastmilk.
•Increase in energy.
•Decrease in lochia, postpartum bleeding.
•Decrease iron deficiency.
•Decrease insomnia or sleep disorders.
The placenta's hormonal make-up is completely unique to the mother. No prescription, vitamin or herbal supplement can do what one placenta pill can. How amazing is that?

For more information please read the following articles:
The Amazing Placenta by Sarah Buckley, MD
Placenta for Healing by Jodi Slender

Herbalist.Doula.Photographer. 
Euphoric Birth, Euphoric Herbals, Euphoric Photography

#15 of 17 Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM

I really want to do this for this birth/postpartum. I believe it really can help and cannot wait to have something to help with the depression and other things without worrying about side effects.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#16 of 17 Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 PM

Does anyone know if encapsulation is practiced in Germany?

Just curious what else are you planning to put in your smoothie? I still don't think I could handle that but curious!
#17 of 17 Old 02-28-2010, 05:33 PM

I would just use my regular smoothie, yogurt, frozen blueberries/strawberries, flax seed, banana, juice.

I have heard, though, that putting tomato juice in it helps masks the irony taste.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page