tales you believe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just for fun -- i'm wondering what old tales/theories you have either found to be entirely true for you, hope they're true, or even just the wackiest one you've heard.

one that i want to not be true is that you have more morning sickness with a girl than with a boy. i wasn't very ill with my first pregnancy (with my amazing son) and wasn't too sick this time either. i would love a girl though.

another one is the heartrate BPM. with DS his rate was always on the high side and supposedly that means girl, right?

they don't have to be related to sex determination, but i would love to hear what you have heard and if you believe it/know it to be true!
#2 of 7 Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 PM

I asked my CNM's RN assistant about the sickness one...she is pregnant with #7. She said that it has been true for her that she was sicker with her girls, but it's not always true for everybody. And I just saw a website about the heartrates, that it really doesn't correlate IRL (high for a girl, low for a boy).

Danielle, 29, wife to Manuel, mom to Ariana (6), Ivy (4), and one , expecting again! EDD 8/29
#3 of 7 Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
MJB

I heard yesterday that you gain more with boys. I hope that's true because I gained 40/50 with my boys, 10 lbs. in the first trimester, and this time around have only gained 5 lbs. in 15 weeks.
My oldest (a boy) always had a heartrate in the 150s so that one definitely didn't hold true.
#4 of 7 Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 PM

There's one about how you take your wedding ring and put it on a string, then lay down and dangle it over your belly. If it moves in a circle, its supposed to be one sex (I can't remember boy or girl) if it swings back and forth in a line, its the other. I want to try this before we have our 18 week ultrasound, just for fun! I sorta remember doing this when preggo with DD, and (I think?) it was correct. You can see how much stock I put in these things, but they're fun anyway!

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Crave sweets=Girl
Hairier legs=boy
Acne=girl
Limp hair=girl
Carrying high=girl
gain more weight around the hips=girl
There is also something you can do with drano and pee. The color changes indicate the gender.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Hehe I can dispell just about all of these girl/boy myths.

With my daughter I had extremely mild morning sickness, her heartrate (according to the myth), said she should have been a boy, I carried low with her. The wedding ring said boy (my mom did it LOL), I also had the clearest face ever and my hair grew slow on my legs. I also didn't crave any sweets.

I think old wives tails are fun but I don't believe any of them. Its probably because I have been in school (programs that pertain to childbirth) for about 4 years now and understand what happens during pregnancy and why your body does what it does.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganlisbeth View Post

one that i want to not be true is that you have more morning sickness with a girl than with a boy. i wasn't very ill with my first pregnancy (with my amazing son) and wasn't too sick this time either. i would love a girl though.
In my family, on my mom's side, the opposite has been true for all women. Boys make us sick, sick, sick. I didn't have it terribly bad with either pg, though it was bad enough. I have one girl, and one ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I heard yesterday that you gain more with boys. I hope that's true because I gained 40/50 with my boys, 10 lbs. in the first trimester, and this time around have only gained 5 lbs. in 15 weeks.
Also true in my fam. My cousin also got GD with her two boys but not with her two girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayK View Post
There's one about how you take your wedding ring and put it on a string, then lay down and dangle it over your belly. If it moves in a circle, its supposed to be one sex (I can't remember boy or girl) if it swings back and forth in a line, its the other. I want to try this before we have our 18 week ultrasound, just for fun! I sorta remember doing this when preggo with DD, and (I think?) it was correct. You can see how much stock I put in these things, but they're fun anyway!
Yeah, which is which is variable. I was told circle for girls and line for boys. I got circle last time and this time, too. I really freaked out some coworkers by doing something my MIL told me about. If you hold the ring over someone's wrist instead of belly, it will tell their whole reproductive history and/or future. I did it for my boss and it accurately went boy--stop -- boy --stop -- girl. Tried it on a few more people and it seemed to work. I must have been subconsciously moving it, but it really didn't seem like I was. The only one it got wrong was a man. Hmm. not sure if it "works" for them. And my coworker who is finished having babies was scared when I gave her an extra boy.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page