Worried about continueous sickness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I just thought I'd post to get some feedback about this. It seems I've been sick with one thing or another this entire pregnancy. I have a pretty weak immune system and I tend to get whatever is going around. But this is getting rediculous.

I had H1N1 at the beginning of this pregnancy. It stuck around for weeks and went through stages. When that was finally gone, I caught a cold that lasted a week or so. Then I was okay for a little while. Then we all got sick again, I think with RSV (it has been going around). Again, I had a fever and bad cold/flu symptoms. DD had it as well and got an ear infection from it. A few days later she got the stomach flu. I washed my hands constantly and did everything I could to not catch it. But lo and behold, here I am, sick with the stomach flu. I was miserable all day yesterday. Kept up all night making trips to the bathroom. I'm feeling a little better today, but I'm weak and extremely dehydrated. I'm doing my best to rest and rehydrate.

I'm just getting worried about this little bean. It sure has endured a lot so far. Last night during one of my many trips to the bathroom, there was what looked like the mucous plug on the t.p. It was big and pretty firm (sorry tmi). Nothing has happened since then, but it just really got me worried.

So my questions are these. Can being sick like this really effect the bean a lot? If so, what can happen? What can I do to try and stay healthy? I'm already taking prenatal vitamins and fish oil and when there is a sickness going around I'm taking extra vitamin C and echinacea. I try to eat healthy. I've been really cooped up to the house lately, so I'm not getting any extra exposure to illness. Any advice?

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM

From everything I've read about little ones in the 1st trimester, as long as you get them their folic acid, they are all set. As your pregnancy progresses, you need to be eating a healthy diet that helps them grow and gain weight, and toward the end of pregnancy, omega 3's are good for brain growth.

I think your little bean is probably doing *just fine*!!! I am so sorry that you have been sick repeatedly - our immune systems are suppressed during pregnancy, and we are so much more likely to catch whatever is going around. And of course, once you get something, that brings you down even more, and makes you MORE likely to get sick again. Hopefully the warm weather will arrive soon, and you will be healthy and happy all summer long.

*HUGS* You can make it! Just keep going, you will get better soon!!!

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Your immune response is lowered because of pregnancy. I would think your body is giving your baby what it needs...you, otoh, are more likely to be depleted. I'd do just what you are doing, maybe add in some relax time? Epsom salt baths, baths, baths (that's my relaxant)...things that will help your body cope with the stress of being ill so often. Extra b vites, mag, stuff like that...red rasp and nettles tea for minerals and preg support, extra water?
I really think your baby would be the last to be affected--your body will take on what it needs to to protect the babe. It's really rough to have bout after bout like that. My family had a period like that right after I had my last dd...it was no fun. Hang in there! Hopefully, spring is right around the corner!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
MJB

I feel ya. I too, have had swine flu, a very long-lived cough/cold, and a stomach virus. I feel mostly better now (at 15w2d) but still have enough of a runny nose that I have to take benadryl or the post-nasal drip makes me cough and vomit. I, too, am worried about the baby. I'm feeling less movement than I was at this point with either of my boys. I've gained a lot less weight (I'm skinny, so I usually pack the pounds on during pregnancy). I haven't been eating well or keeping a lot down. I've been taking a lot of class B and C drugs (cough medicine, pseudoephedrine, benadryl) just to get out of bed. The CNM said they are all okay but I've never taken anything in pregnancy before. My kids have also had a lingering cough/cold and my 7 yr. old got the second ear infection he's ever had. This winter's illnesses aren't playing around.
I'm looking forward to our U/S on March 8 (3.5 weeks) to make sure that the baby is developing alright. And I try to remember how many people drink, smoke, and use drugs during their pregnancies and go on to have healthy babies. In the long-run, some mucinex at 13 weeks probably won't affect a thing, let alone my pain and suffering!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I'm feeling better all around today. I haven't been to the doc since 9 weeks, and there were some EDD and growth discrepencies at the beginning, so I think that plays a role in some anxiety. I'm 15 weeks now and still working on picking a provider. I think I'm going to just make an appointment with whomever and hear beans heartbeat and whatnot. I think it will put me at ease to know everything is going as it should be.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 AM

I've been a bit sickly, too. I've taken pseudoephedrine twice bc I couldn't sleep. Now dd has h1n1 and i'm sure I'll get it if I don't take tamiflu, so more bad drugs for my babe. I'm with MJB, think of all the drug addicts who grow relatively healthy babies. Ours have to be ok.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 AM

With DS1, I had bronchitus, three or four different colds and such, and hyperemesis gravidarum so severe I lost thirty pounds in the first twelve weeks.

I gave birth to a nine pound rolly polly happy healthy babe who has only been sick enough to go to the doc twice in two years.

Babies are hearty creatures that can endure so much more than we give them credit for.

That being said, I feel your anxiety! This babe is measuring three weeks off, and I chart so I *know* my dates aren't wrong. Hearing the HB today def. made me feel better.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post
With DS1, I had bronchitus, three or four different colds and such, and hyperemesis gravidarum so severe I lost thirty pounds in the first twelve weeks.
Wow. That must have been rough. I'm glad little one (and you) were both okay.

P.S. Hello neighbor! Looks like we're from the same neck of the woods.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
Wow. That must have been rough. I'm glad little one (and you) were both okay.

P.S. Hello neighbor! Looks like we're from the same neck of the woods.
I'm glad we are too! This pregnancy is going sooo much easier I barely feel pregnant!

Yuppers, we're both MN gals. We live in Brainerd, so we're a couple hours north of you.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 

User Tag List