Summer baby = swimwear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or in other words, what the heck am I going to wear to the pool?

What are you wearing?

Where are you getting it?

I am pretty avg in size, normally, but get huge (belly/hips) in pregnancy.

Wondering if I'm gonna need two sizes to get me through...

I've never purchased a maternity suit.

It gets HOT HOT here.

(I accidentally posted this in sept ddc. I am the end of aug, so could end up there, tho, lol)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#2 of 24 Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM

my reg bikini should still fit, my boobs don't grow until pp. considering the lack of maternity wear locally i can pretty much guarantee that there will be no maternity suits to be found if i wanted one.
#3 of 24 Old 02-13-2010, 11:13 PM

I figure I'll just wear a bikini. I don't wear bikinis normally though but I figure when I'm big pregnant I'll just tell everyone that I usually look like Heidi Klum when I'm not pregnant. They won't know the truth.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#4 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 12:24 AM

I have a maternity tankini suit that I bought at Target when pg w/#2. I actually never wore it so hopefully it will work.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#5 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 03:34 AM

I have NO idea what I'll wear, but would like to swim for exercise. I normally would never, ever wear a bikini or even two piece, but maybe if I could find one to fit it would be ok with a big preggo belly? The biggest issue is I have huge boobs and they're so much bigger than "normal" already. I'd need a huge cup size with a strong underwire. Does anything that would work for me even exist? Sigh.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#6 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 AM

Once I start feeling better, I fully intend to regularly use our local pool. They also offer an aquatic exercise class for seniors that local pregnant women often join in, the seniors love that! I'm going to look into that. Beyond the indoor pool, there will be no outdoor swimming (not warm enough), so enjoy ladies!

Megan Sacha: what a dilemma! Here's an article I found online, called: "Swimsuit Resources: Where to Find Plus Size, Supersize, Large Busts, Mastectomy and Maternity Swimwear" that has several links to websites that sells swim suites for large busts.
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/body_size/115829

Hope that helps.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#7 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM

I have been wondering the same thing, especially since I normally wear a tankini with a skirt to cover my hip/thighs a bit. The only thing I have come up with so far is what my aunt did while pregnant a few years ago & that was shorts & a tanktop. Now I just need to find some shorts that aren't too short & dry fairly quickly.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#8 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isras1 View Post
Megan Sacha: what a dilemma! Here's an article I found online, called: "Swimsuit Resources: Where to Find Plus Size, Supersize, Large Busts, Mastectomy and Maternity Swimwear" that has several links to websites that sells swim suites for large busts.
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/body_size/115829

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the tip. I was so hopeful but these are suits that go up to DD...ha ha... Is that considered large? I'm now a J I think thanks to pregnancy. Was ONLY a G before!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#9 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 PM
MJB

I think I'll just buy a new bikini, with a bigger top than normal. I don't think I'll need a larger bottom but my boobs are definitely NOT a small right now. I might buy two tops for it so I can have the smaller top when I go back from a D/DD to a B/C.
#10 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughymama View Post
I figure I'll just wear a bikini. I don't wear bikinis normally though but I figure when I'm big pregnant I'll just tell everyone that I usually look like Heidi Klum when I'm not pregnant. They won't know the truth.
LOL! I may try that....

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#11 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 03:17 PM

I have a maternity suit from last year (but regular bottoms) and a plus size tankini top I bought for my bfing suit (to fit the enormous boobs lol ) I won't wear a bikini.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#12 of 24 Old 02-14-2010, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the smallest bikini I've ever owned in my life for pregnancy. I bought it when I found out I was pregnant before we were going on a cruise. Whoops. I'm pretty cheerful about the preggo belly.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#13 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha View Post
Thanks for the tip. I was so hopeful but these are suits that go up to DD...ha ha... Is that considered large? I'm now a J I think thanks to pregnancy. Was ONLY a G before!
Yeah...I got all excited until I read your comment. I've got a 36 band and a (currently)42 chest, on it's way to 44. Lets see, so I start at an DDD/F and head for G? Yeah...I'm hosed on the swimsuits if DD is "large."

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#14 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 01:48 AM

I bought two slightly used ones off of Ebay last year when I was pregnant, both tankini's. I would never usually wear a tankini, but when pregnant I dont mind showing off the big belly since I am obviously pg. The bottoms on one set were too small so I bought another pair at Target to match, they are both halter style with soft cup bras, which even worked with my DDD's. I just tied the ties tight at the neck to keep the ladies in where they belong. Buying the suits used saved me a ton of $$, maternity suits are so expensive! Little did I know I was going to get two years of use out of them. Glad I hung on to them

Proud Army Wife, Christian, Mommy to Jackson (12/02) Jillian (12/03) and William (9/14/09). Expecting our newest blessing Aug 2010!
#15 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 02:17 AM

#16 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to swim in the dark when no one can see me and seriously contemplating swimming in sweats and a turtleneck.
Just kidding. I have a maternity tankini that I bought when I was pg with my older boys. I'm usually only about 20-28 weeks during swimming season, so being in my 3rd trimester will be an adventure.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#17 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM

when i was pregnant w DS I used my regular suit covered by a t-shirt to mask the fact that the top didn't cover even 1/2 my top... but I only swam in private pools. Also did tank top and a pair of cotton shorts

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
#18 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I have NO idea what I'll wear, but would like to swim for exercise. I normally would never, ever wear a bikini or even two piece, but maybe if I could find one to fit it would be ok with a big preggo belly? The biggest issue is I have huge boobs and they're so much bigger than "normal" already. I'd need a huge cup size with a strong underwire. Does anything that would work for me even exist? Sigh.
I have the same problem! I didnt know what I was going to do, but then I remembered that the suit I wore last year is actually 2 sizes bigger than I wear. It is a miracle suit, the only suits I have worn for over a decade. I used to weigh quite a bit more, but couldnt afford a suit, I so I just took up the straps last summer. And the fabric is so stretchy, that you couldnt tell it was too big. I put it on a couple weeks ago, and I think it will work. I'll probably need to let the straps back out, which is going to take some time. I went nuts with the stitching to make sure it would hold. I stuffed a bunch of stuff in the front to see how much room it had, and I think it might be ok. The only other option I was thinking of was wearing a bra underneath a reguler maternity suit. It wouldnt have looked very pretty, but like you, the non-support of bathing suits does not work for me.
#19 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yes most "big Boob" suits I have found only go into the d range. My miracle suit is a size 18. I wore that suit when I was in 1x clothes and I think wearing a G sup size. I wore it last summer being a size 12/14 clothes and G cup size. It was too big in the bust and I took the straps up to give my boobs a little more lift. These suits are expensive(like $130), but if you can afford it, maybe you could look into a larger size to wear for the pregnancy. After having my son, I was a K!! People do not understand the annoyance of big breasts!!
#20 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Where I am you don't wear a bikini unless you have the perfect bod, and while I am not overweight, things are a bit stretched, not as toned as they all used to be, lol. I don't like showing off my thighs, so I've always done shorts. I did tell dh that I was considering a bikini top with tank over it so I wouldn't have to worry about anything but bust size. (I'm a C/D, I think). Ot, when it comes to bra sizing, I am an idiot. When I measure, and buy, they don't fit at all.

I just don't want to look like a beached whale, but I'm guessing once I'm in 110+ heat I won't care as much...

Really, I'll probably end up in a tankini with shorts.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#21 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 PM

I'd be okay wearing a bikini if it weren't for my stretch marks darn things ruin everything. I have a tankini from target, but I've worn my regular one piece until 7 months. I really wanted a retro style one piece this year, but I can't find any maternity ones. Oh well, fashion will have to wait until
next summer!

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#22 of 24 Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM

When I'm not pregnant (and now) I feel like I have that saggy belly, old faded stretch mark not so hot look going, with 10 lbs too many not helping any. Clearly the confidence to get into a bikini is lacking. But when I'm round I feel GLORIOUS! I can't wait to get myself into a bikini and strut my stuff! If this is my last babe, it might be my last chance to wear one.

I've had 2 maternity suits (old navy and Motherhood maternity). I swim a lot. It's hot here. Both of them cost a fortune and fell apart fast. I'm not bothering to go that way again.

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

#23 of 24 Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM

I'm in trouble too. I'm around a 16-18 without being pregnant, so I'm probably going to have to just jump to something like a 20-22. The maternity stores around here, usually go to a 16 tops, (apparently big girls don't get nookie) so I just buy larger plus sizes. Fortunately we have a pool, so I don't have to scare away too many people.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#24 of 24 Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 PM

I've been looking for a suit because I like to swim laps. My speedos are fine for now, but I don't want to stretch them out. It seems like most maternity suits are beachwear, not for lap swimming (I need a racer style back.)

It doesn't help that I wear an 18 prepregnancy and have enormous boobs (G cup. I shudder to think how big they'll get!)

Like the previous poster, I'm planning on buying a suit a few sizes larger. If it gets all stretched out, that's fine. I'll probably just get a larger speedo or one (one piece, speedo style) from Lands End or something, and take in the straps if I need to.

I'd try a tankini, but unless there is a drawstring in the bottoms, I'd be afraid of losing them when I swim!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page