Weekly Chat Thread - Feb 14-20th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Valentine's Day

My husband bought me an Edible Arrangement of chocolate covered fruit - this is the first successful VDay gift he's gotten me. (One year he tried to order flowers and they came a day late, the flowers were dead and they didn't send the vase. He kinda gave up after that.) The best part was the card. It said "I love you baby, I am excited at what our future is bringing us. Happy Valentines Day."

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#2 of 33 Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Oh my gosh that sounds soooo good, Taylah! Yum.

I've *finally* reached the 12 week mark...yippee!!!

Danielle, 29, wife to Manuel, mom to Ariana (6), Ivy (4), and one , expecting again! EDD 8/29
#3 of 33 Old 02-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Do you have enough to share Taylah? What a sweet hubby. Mine's away at work, so we celebrated a few days early, went out for movie (Avatar) and dinner (at our favorite place). It was nice.

My DH and I met a midwife and toured her birth center (I used to work there as a doula, so I know the midwife) a few days ago. My DH really liked the center, as I do. BUT, the midwife is due the same time as me! She has 2 apprentice midwives, I don't know how experienced they are. She is arranging to have a HB midwife cover for her, so I have to meet that midwife and see if we click. An interesting twist to the HB plans.

Happy Valentine's Momma's!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#4 of 33 Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM

12 weeks for me on Friday. I posted a question about the fundus in the last week's chat.

Less nausea, although still tired, and nausea a little last week. Someone posted that it is going so fast, but I feel like time is creeping by.

I am also a little sad, though, for something probably strange to most people on this board. I have horses, and one of them is a 5 (or 6? or 7 - she's a resuce) year old Shire/Paint (she's a big girl). This summer I was going to send her to a professional trainer and start really riding her to get her to be a solid trail horse (we keep horses on our property, but we have miles and miles of trails less than 3 miles away), and now I can't. I know there are other things I can do with her, but she needs a job, and to spend so much money on a trainer and a trailer is a waste of time unless I can be riding her to reinforce what she has learned.

So yes, we are very excited for the bean, but we had also sort of resigned ourselves to no more kids (we have not been preventing for 2 years, but not really trying) and were making other plans.

That's all...

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#5 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Two new nesting projects this week:

Putting pegboard up in the garage so we can organize our tools, and making room for the chest freezer that's being delivered tomorrow.

Revamping the computer room to make it a little easier for DH to start working from home on Monday. I did the cleaning/throwing crap out part today, but the desk move will have to wait until the new cables/switch come in this week.

#6 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 AM

Suzannah: Why can't you ride her? I rode all the way through my pregnancy with DS #1 and #2. Although I guess we weren't in the process of training her. But it was mostly trail kind of riding.

Can I just say that for some reason this week my messy house started to bug me. I mean I'm usually okay with a little clutter, but now it seems like everywhere I look there is a huge mess (it's really not any different than normal). I have 3 boys, so I expect some mess, but today it's driving me nuts. I'm mean we're talking where I'm ready to just throw it all in a box and get rid of it.

I'm sick of winter and ready to see some green stuff growing.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#7 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Amen to that! I am sick, sick, sick, of being cold. Here in Kentucky it just keeps snowing. The snow melts...it snows again...snow...melt...snow aaaahhhhh.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#8 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycatcher12 View Post
Suzannah: Why can't you ride her? I rode all the way through my pregnancy with DS #1 and #2. Although I guess we weren't in the process of training her. But it was mostly trail kind of riding.

She is still pretty unpredictable. She will throw a tremendous buck on the lunge line when she moves from a walk to a trot. She settles down and moves fine after a little bit, but that first buck is incredible.

I am also not the most experienced rider, and we don't have a saddle for her, so we have only been walking around the pasture bareback. When her former owners dropped her off at the rescue, they said she was older than she is and that she pulled a cart; she has grown at least a hand since we got her, and she is unbelievably rigid, so we have been working on flexing and moving the feet (she has bad steering). I really wasn't expecting a big project with her, not really qualified, but she is sweet and willing, just young and spunky. Could be a bad combo!!!

I, too, and ready for green things to grow. I am getting a little melancholy with the hormones and the rain, but we have four days of sun, starting tomorrow, so hopefully we will turn a corner here!

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#9 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM

DH isn't big on Valentines Day, but I did hint at Chocolates which I've been craving. He didn't catch the hint though.
I am starting to feel a little better. Usually by dinner I can't even look at the food, but generally in the morning I'm starving and most things sound appetizing. I found out last week that my thyroid has given up for now. This is new for me because I've been diagnosed with Graves disease and have been severely hyperthyroid in the past. My vitamin D has also tanked and both of these things are still making me extremely tired and depressed.
I am also waiting for the sunshine and fresh fruit. I have little daydreams about laying down in the sunshine in the grass and taking the kids for picnics.
I have watched a lot of TV and read very little. I don't even own a TV. I've been pathetically watching things on youtube. All in all it's been a very hard first trimester.
I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel though. I'll be 13 weeks on Wednesday and I'm hoping I'll be able to tolerate my vitamins and get my Vit D back up. They should also have the new labs back for my thyroid and be able to call in a prescription for me. I'm hoping this is the last week of gross before this starts to be fun.
Thanks for listening to me vent.
#10 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Men should bring chocolate home at least weekly, imo.

We got the pegboard installed and the tools hung, the new freezer was delivered and put in place - the garage is about a million times better than it was but there is yet more to be done. My husband is just LOVING these weekend projects I come up with, don't you know? Well, he did seem tickled to get his tools in order.

#11 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Dudes, I've always been such a healthy eater. Since this pregnancy, I've been eating whatever the hell I want to! Today I actually bought and ate a Snickers bar! So unlike me. This of course to accompany the fried chicken and mac and cheese I had for lunch. I LOVE FOOD right now--it's the greatest pleasure in my life! Anyone else fallen off the healthy-eating wagon and abandoned themselves to deliciousness?

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#12 of 33 Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Be it chocolate, mashed potatoes and gravy, raw cauliflower dipped in ranch dressing - if the baby says yes, I eat it

#13 of 33 Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylah View Post
Be it chocolate, mashed potatoes and gravy, raw cauliflower dipped in ranch dressing - if the baby says yes, I eat it
I've been eating a TON of raw veggies with ranch dip. Yum.

(Heads to fridge for veggies and dip)

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#14 of 33 Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 AM

McK.E: I too have been watching a lot of TV and reading, thank goodness for the Olympics! To help myself feel engaged with my body, changing positions after each segment break (sit, recline, squat, stand, pelvic tilts) and doing Kegels helps. I think I am ready to get moving more/exercise, since I'm beginning to feel better and more energized.

Mmm... veggies and dressing. I've been obsessed with baby carrots and juicy fruits. I had two plums that were perfectly ripe and chilled in the refrigerator, I wish I had some more! I'll also admit that I am having a hard time with eating healthy, besides the fruit obsession. At 15 weeks, I am finally getting an appetite and no more "morning sickness" (having not had one since 8 weeks) so I am just happy to be eating! Off to find a snack.....

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#15 of 33 Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
MJB

16 weeks today! Baby's moving more these days. People have started remarking on my belly.
I'm hungry all the time now but I get full after eating a small amount of food. I'm not a grazer, we're really 3 squares people around here so this is annoying. I don't understand how my stomach can be squished already!
Less than 3 weeks to go to the big ultrasound. I can't wait! If I was a religious woman I'd be praying for a girl. As it is I have all my fingers crossed.
#16 of 33 Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM

mmmm, veggies and ranch!!! one of my faves. Thank goodness I have a spare package of powdered ranch dip sent from the states! Thats another one of those nearly impossible to find items here in france, and when you can find it, it's like 9 euros for a teeeny bottle.
I got more cravings for bad US fast food too. I should not read news stories related to food or thats what I want...
Oh, and I am sooo about winter being over too. It's finally sunny here today, though fridgid, so I am soaking up the sun throught the windows.

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#17 of 33 Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm expecting my first baby in August I'm now 13 weeks and at night sometimes I feel some little rumblings when I am lying still - maybe it is just gas, but I've heard that some people feel their babies this early!

I'm really glad to have found this forum - I think I'll fit in a lot better here! We're kind of crunchy (garden, belong to a csa for vegetables and organic pasture raised meat, planning on a natural childbirth and cloth diapering)

I didn't have any chocolate for Valentines Day (it's actually been one of my biggest aversions since getting the BFP) but my DH made heart shaped pancakes. It was so cute!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here!
#18 of 33 Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM

squiggy - It is very early, but last week when I was lying down on my back I definitely felt a little goldfish in there, not gas. Is this your first? usually with your first you can't feel it quite this early but with subsequent ones you can. I am 14 weeks BTW.

Speaking of 14 weeks, I am pretty sure I am as big now as I was with DD at 18 or 20 weeks! There is no hiding this baby now unless I am wearing a big sweatshirt or coat...not that I want to hide it but I am just surprised how big I have gotten already. One of my friends is convinced I am having twins. (not in a rude "your fat" way but in a L&D and NICU experienced nurse way who sees pregnant women all the time!) Next midwife appointment isn't until next week, I am excited to hear the heartbeat again.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#19 of 33 Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

My next appt is tomorrow and I am also very excited to hear the heartbeat again, it feels like forever since my last appointment!

#20 of 33 Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure I am as big now as I was with DD at 18 or 20 weeks!
This is so me!!! I mean seriously. I've had a little breakdown everymorning getting dressed because I just feel so much bigger. Not that I mind, but golly I really do look 20 weeks pg and I'm only 14 weeks. It's my 4th baby, but still I wasn't quite prepared for all this.

I'm starving all the blooming time, but nothing sounds good.

We didn't do a lot for Valentines day. But I'm kind of glad, it means I can play the "we didn't do anything for Valentines day" trump card later. (meaning I'll be able to get a dinner out of the deal). Ha! Not really, but we'll see.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#21 of 33 Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 AM

MJB: you and I are getting our ultrasounds around the same time, are you finding out the gender? We will be.... so excited.

Squiggy! I adore dark chocolate, and have had no cravings for it since being preggo. Sigh, I miss it but not really. Baby has been into strawberries lately.

Babycatcher12: definitely use the "we didn't do anything for Valentine's card", especially when the "i'm pregnant" card starts to lose its effect upon DH. My DH wasn't into watching Avatar, but I pulled the Valentine's Day card and we did dinner and movie. It was fun, he enjoyed most of it.... he, he.

At 15 weeks, I think I've been feeling vague, maybe its baby sensations. Hard to say, since its my first. But it just feels different. If anything- its fun to think that it is and its gotta help us bond, Right?

Back to men's short program (figure skating)....

#22 of 33 Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 AM

Hi Taylah..
It sounds soo romantic ...I too gave beautiful red roses and big chocolate for my wife ..she felt happy like you only ...

artificial flowers arrangement
#23 of 33 Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM

When I was laying down last night, I felt the little goldfish last night! I have taking to calling the baby our goldfish since that's what it feels like to me right now...until it feels like a pro-soccer player practicing goal kicks in the third trimester anyway.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#24 of 33 Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
MJB

Isras, I'm definitely finding out. We're UCers so we did 100% UP last time and didn't find out, but I really, really want to know so we're getting an U/S this time around just to find out. After that I'll be unassisted the rest of the pregnancy.
We did dinner and a movie on Valentine's Day and it was lovely. We hardly ever get a babysitter so it's extra special when we do.
#25 of 33 Old 02-17-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I love Wednesdays! Just got my email telling me about the baby at 16 weeks. I also have a prenatal appt today so we'll get to hear the heartbeat again. The downside to this Wednesday is my head is killing me, I went to bed with this headache last night and it was still there this morning - argh!

#26 of 33 Old 02-18-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

We had our appointment today and rather than hearing the heartbeat we got to see the baby on ultrasound wiggling and squiggling around! So cool to see the baby when it isn't just a little blob

#27 of 33 Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Yay for seeing the baby! We still have about 5 wks until the big U/S. I keep trying to lay still and sense baby movements, but I can't say I've felt anything yet. Last time I didn't feel DD until 20wks at the U/S appt.

Today I'll be filing more piles of our important papers and tackling a mountain of little pink clothes in the basement (everyone gave DD clothes for her 2nd b-day!)...while watching the Olympics of course.

Andrea , wife to Mark , mama to Taylor Elise (2) and Aurora Evelyn (born 8/17/10!)
#28 of 33 Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

So grateful that the weekend is finally here. Why do short work weeks feel the longest?!

It is supposed to be sunny and gorgeous this weekend, so I think in addition to getting the home office finished I will be out on the back patio enjoying some sun with a book.

I just picked up 3 pregnancy/baby books and have almost plowed through the first one (Big, Beautiful and Pregnant). I read the beginning of the section on labor before bed last night and later dreamed I had a home birth because the baby came so fast, and a little over a month early - but he was fine and my whole family was there. That's two baby dreams this week - the first dream involved having a girl and I was totally unprepared, I had to send my husband out for diaper cream as I changed her first diaper.

Two weeks from today is my U/S! I am so pumped about finding out the sex of the baby. I swear my mother is going crazy waiting, she is documenting cute things she finds at stores so she can go back and get them after she finds out the gender. (I think this baby is one of the only things she has going well in her life - lots of drama with my youngest sister going on, my other sister having trouble at school - and both of them and my brother living with them!)

I'm wearing a new maternity top today, it is adorable! I still only have one pair of maternity pants that I've found that fit at all. But have another pair on the way from JC Penney, and a pair that needs to be returned to their catalog dept. this weekend. I've really popped, I'm getting lots of comments and even a few belly touches at work already (these haven't really bugged me, oddly enough, I'm all excited about the belly somehow and it tickles me when someone else is too). I have a feeling I'm going to end up being really huge! (yet I'm still down 4lbs for the pregnancy so far)

#29 of 33 Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylah View Post
- the first dream involved having a girl and I was totally unprepared, I had to send my husband out for diaper cream as I changed her first diaper.
This is how my baby dreams always are. I'm totally unprepared for the birth or I already have the baby and I realize I haven't fed it for hours. You'd think I've never done this before.

I have my anatomy scan scheduled for 3 weeks from now. I can't wait to find out if we're having a he or a she.

I've been feeling strong movement for the last week, but this morning I got the biggest nudge yet. I'll bet we could've seen it from the outside. DD was sitting in my lap, and it's like the baby was kicking her. Oh, sibling rivalry -- it starts early.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#30 of 33 Old 02-19-2010, 05:31 PM

I also have had some weird pregnancy dreams!

Every dream I have had about the baby, it's a boy. Don't know if that means I am having a boy, secretly really want a boy or nothing at all...thoughts?

One dream was my ultrasound and showed I was having TWINS. However the ultrasound tech was Sarah Palin

At least two dreams involved us totally forgetting about the baby, from neglecting to feed it to forgetting we had it all together! These ones scare me (though I know it won't happen in real life, the feeling just sucks)

All other dreams are just always ridiculously vivid and increasingly wierd and random. We will see at my 20 week u/s of these dreams meant anything about gender or multiples.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page