Braxton Hicks!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Already!!!! They started last night and have been going all day long. They didn't start until about 18-20 weeks last time and were pretty constant (but painless) for the rest of my pregnancy. It actually got a bit annoying. Apparently I have a few more weeks of them this time LOL.

Anyone else having BH's yet?

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#2 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Totally dumb question but how do you know when you are having braxton hicks?

I don't know if I even had them with DS1 how sad is that because I didn't know what to look for, and now I still don't know... god I feel so dumb asking that!

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#3 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 PM

I'd also like to know how to distinguish BH....

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#4 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 PM
MJB

I've been having really strong contractions after sex but haven't noticed them at other times. I'm 16w with my third. I didn't really notice any contractions until labor with my boys but I have a feeling it'll be different this time around.
#5 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM

I've been having them for about 3 weeks now (I'm 14 wks tomorrow). Normally they start much earlier than that for me. They also aren't nearly as intense this time around.

Just flex any muscle and that's what it feels like. Some are more intense then others. The ones in previous pregnancies were really uncomfortable.
#6 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM

I've been feeling them the last few days too. I'm about 13 weeks. Definitely earlier than with my first 2 pg, but my 3rd pg I started feeling them about 14-15 weeks. My uterus is pretty high in my abdomen already though. My midwife says it's because 1. I'm short and 2. It's my 4th baby. So I think I'm feeling them earlier than usual.

--Erin

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#7 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my uterus is at my belly button already!

Braxton hicks contractions are not painful but they feel like a tightening of your uterus. For those of you that have been pregnant before, it sort of feels like the baby pushing only your uterus will get noticably hard. Like a PP said, it feels like flexing a muscle.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#8 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 PM

Yeah, I am 15 weeks now, and I had my first one 2-3 weeks ago. I started feeling this sensation and thought "wait, that is different, yet it feels sorta familiar.... oh yeah! I remember what this is!" lol

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#9 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't get them until 38 or so weeks with DD, so I'm not expecting them to start up anytime soon.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 PM

I only get BH when I'm stressed or tired. Just another sign that my adrenals are low. When I'm babying them ,I don't get BH.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#11 of 19 Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I get them around sex and otherwise I didn't get them till like 39 weeks last time. I guess my uterus thinks it doesn't need practice?

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#12 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, my uterus is at my belly button already!
Can I just say I'm so glad to hear you say this! This week has been a bit of a shock for me because my belly has just popped out, I mean seriously! I look really pregnant this week.
Sorry to hijack, but glad to know I'm not the only one.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#13 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycatcher12 View Post
Can I just say I'm so glad to hear you say this! This week has been a bit of a shock for me because my belly has just popped out, I mean seriously! I look really pregnant this week.
Sorry to hijack, but glad to know I'm not the only one.
I seriously look like I did last pregnancy at 20 weeks. At my ultrasound she said my fundus was a couple cms below my belly button. Now it is at, or beyond it LOL. I have even been feeling movement beside my belly button. It is just totally wierd for me at this point LOL.

#14 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 AM

My uterus is also up quite high, not that far from my belly button.. but part of that is because I have fibroids and one of them is quite large I think. I can feel it. Eww.

Anyway...

Wendy: wife to DH and mama to DS1 01/09 and DS2 08/10
#15 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 02:30 PM

I've had a few already, but drinking water and relaxing has helped. I'm also another one feeling movement by the belly button, at 14 weeks my midwife said fundus was just a couple of cm shy of being there. So I'm almost positive I'm not losing my mind.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#16 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Me! I have a very active uterus, anyway, LOL.. I tend to get prodromal labor for a couple of weeks before the real deal. In fact, when I was with a c-section happy OB, this easily recognizable activity on the NST sent me into c-sections earlier than I should have...all because of that...now I know that it's just my body growing and doing it's thing.

So, yeah. I just posted a thread about my gargantuan uterus measurements. I'm about 12.5 weeks and it's measuring at just below my belly button.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8 with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#17 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 PM

ya know what, I read this and I think I have had them! Just the last few days.

Carrie - Christian, tandem nursing, knittin' mommy to my two little intact, cloth diapered, vax free boys CJ 4-4-08 and squishy Camden born at home 8-3-10!
#18 of 19 Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
And then last night I had a bunch of BH. Figures.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#19 of 19 Old 02-20-2010, 03:13 AM

I can't remember how early they started with last time...I remember having them after orgasm fairly early on, and often when I'd start to exercise, and after peeing. They've started already this time for sure. Not super often, but I feel them happen. Not painful, or even really uncomfortable at all, just a firm tightening sensation over my low belly.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page