Are you recording your pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember getting a pregnancy journal when pg with #1 and I didn't use it. I guess I didn't really get into it or something. I have a couple pictures and an ultrasound video but not really much documenting at all. I think I was way more focused on the birth than the pregnancy.

With #2 I dont' think I have many more pics but I did do a belly cast.

This time around I'm feeling kind of sad about that. I've already have more belly pics this time around than either of the others but that's all I've really done.

So, what are you all doing? Journals? Notes? Pics? Other?

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#2 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 AM

I was given a lovely, leather bound journal for my recent birthday, with my MIL intention of it being a pregnancy journal. I have written in it a few times, but there is no routine to it. I did discover that it is cathartic and I am able to reflect on what I am feeling and thinking. I'm not sure if I would share it with anyone, its just meant for me.

I would like to do a baby book, that would be fun. I've seen some cute baby books that included a section for mom to document the pregnancy, you might like that. I've done some belly pics, but realized that I should have my husband take a few pictures, for they so far have been self-portraits in the bathroom. Better than nothing, though.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#3 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM

I really didn't document my pregnancies with my boys except for the occasional picture. Since this one is our last(that we are planning), I have been taking a belly pic each Sunday since about 6-8 weeks along so I can see the progression.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#4 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 AM

With my ds, I bought a small composition notebook. Every once in a while, I wrote a short paragraph about how far a long I was, what I was feeling, etc. Then, when he was born, I wrote a birth story, and since then, I write ever once in a while about what he's doing, cute things he done, etc. I know he proabably wont care about it, but maybe one day, he will want it or at least he'll want to see it. Or maybe he'll get involved with a nostalgic freak like me and that person will think it is wonderful. Anyway, I am doing that with this baby too. It doesnt take much effort and it is fun to look back and read about the different things going on. I write it in letter form, like Dear my sweet child, blah blah blah love, mama
#5 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM

I don't think I could keep track of a journal, but I have a blog which I typically update when anything exciting happens- It's an interesting progression from the ups and downs of infertility treatment to the joy of the ongoing pregnancy. I hesitate to do anything for these babies that I didn't do with DS, at that point I was so busy that I barely did a baby book- but we do have lots of pictures.

Mom to 5, DS- 3/2006,  Twin boys-7/2010, B/G twins- 1/2012

#6 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 10:31 AM

I kept a journal at a baby website back in the day when I was pregnant with my son, as long as a written one that I wrote in a little less often. I kept a baby book with my son too, updating mostly the big milestones and a baby journal on that same website for a while. None of it was as much as I wanted to.

this tme I am keeping a blog that I have been trying to post in often and recently every day. I started it at the beginning of the pregnancy but it didn't go "live" till the beginning of this month when the pregnancy went public to more than just our close family and a few friends.

My plan is to make a blog book out of the blog after the baby is born and start a new blog just chronicling the lives of both the kids and hopefully writing in it at least once a week. I will also keep a baby book again I know I treasure mine that my parents kept for me

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#7 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Every pregnancy I say that I should keep a journal so then I can look back and see that what I'm feeling now is normal...but the last couple have seemed like the last and now this seems like it will probably be the last and I never get around to journaling. I have a hard time keeping up with a journal, or even a blog. I'm trying to get better about writing down in a notebook funny things my kids do or say, and that is a little more manageable. I hope to get better about writing down milestones with this baby too. I love belly pics so I have tons of those though!

Danielle, 29, wife to Manuel, mom to Ariana (6), Ivy (4), and one , expecting again! EDD 8/29
#8 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM

I bought a pregnancy journal for DS and did really well with filling it out and keeping it up to date. I bought the same journal for this baby but have been nowhere near as diligent. I think with a toddler and going back to school full time I don't have as much time or motivation to keep up with it and end up filling out several weeks at one time. I do really like having it though, it's nice to go back and see what I was feeling and going through at different points with DS.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#9 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM

I have a journal that I started writing in the day I found out I was pregnant with my first 2 pregnancies. There is enough room to use it this time too. I've pulled it out but I just can't get myself to write in it. I am finally happy about this pregnancy, but it took me a while to get there so I think I have been hesitent to write for fear I'd write things that were not very positive or happy. Plus there is just so much chaos in our lives right now that I just don't know what to write about. After we heard the heartbeat last week I felt like I should really start, but I still just can't get myself to do it. It makes me sad & I will regret it, but I just don't know where to start.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#10 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I have a journal that I started writing in the day I found out I was pregnant with my first 2 pregnancies. There is enough room to use it this time too. I've pulled it out but I just can't get myself to write in it. I am finally happy about this pregnancy, but it took me a while to get there so I think I have been hesitent to write for fear I'd write things that were not very positive or happy. Plus there is just so much chaos in our lives right now that I just don't know what to write about. After we heard the heartbeat last week I felt like I should really start, but I still just can't get myself to do it. It makes me sad & I will regret it, but I just don't know where to start.
I don't think it's a bad thing to talk about your fears so maybe you could start with a list of the things that you are happy about and the things that you have for fears. Like for me, I am scared to death that this baby will be born with seizures. I don't know how I could handle that again. My parent's played favorites and I worry I will too. Even though logically I "know" I won't it's still something I worry about. I worry that this baby will resent that he/she won't be as spoiled as my son is simply because we have to share resources... etc. then if you start with that maybe you can get into something more like this is what's happening now, this is how I feel physically etc

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#11 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM

I used The Pregnancy Journal w/ DD and loved it. It keeps track of how far along you are and has something to say about the baby's growth every day. Then it gives you spots to write notes, and track your weight gain and waist expansion. At the end it asked questions about the birth. I liked it because it seemed to be pretty well rounded (even mentioning homebirth throughout). I was really missing it this time around, but my mom just found me one for $2 at a thrift store!!! Yay!!! It's kind of cool that I got it late because it I'm already 100 days in!!! I'm a good chunk of pages in, and it's nice to know I'm done with the first trimester already and be able to see that in such a visual way.

I am trying to take more belly pics this time too. I took some last time, but I didn't label any and most of them were taken on a cell phone and long gone now. It's too bad. I'd like something to compare because I know I'm showing way sooner this time. I also have some guilt about not documenting DD's life after age 18 months. This time I'm going to try and get more pics and video and journaling done. It's hard to keep up with it all

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#12 of 12 Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM

I just write milestones on the calendar. I can't keep up with journaling, but have found it's the best way to keep stuff straight. I do the same thing after the kiddos are born, write down on the calendar when they roll over, walk, eat solids etc. Then in far off someday I'll document in more detail in their scrapbooks. I usually take a picture of them on that day so I'll have a picture or two to go with it. If I get them developed (which I do about once a year) I'll go back and write on the back of the picture what happened that day.
If it's something I want to document in more detail I'll write a little note or something and put it either on the calendar with a paper clip, or our "keepsake" envelope for the year.
Yep it's a little unorganized, but it's quick, it's easy, and I don't have time for much else right now.
I was keeping up with blogging, but can't seem to remember to do it very often.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page