No One Wears Maternity Clothes Anymore - Mothering Forums

#1 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went in to a newish (within the past yr) clothing store to get a new tnak top (they have a brand I like) and I asked the clerk is they carried maternity clothes. She said they had for a few months but nobody bought them so they took them out. She said nobody wears maternity clothes anymore, just longer tanks for underneath and bigger sizes as you grow. I mentioned pants and she said most use a new type of jeans that has a lounge-type waist and showed me some. "You could wear this or this or this..."

Seriously? People don't buy clothes made for pregnancy anymore? I am 5'4", 130 lbs prepreg with a short torso and the capacity to grow big babies and bust. I cannot imagine what size clothes I'd have to buy in un-maternity clothes. As it is, I can get into xlg mat tops just to cover the belly.

So, do you or do you not wear maternity clothes while pregnant? Are mat clothes passe? Is the younger gen of moms doing this? Or everyone? (I'm 30 and still think of myself as a young mom, but I know the 18-20 yr old moms think I'm "seasoned") If so, what are you wearing?

Initially I thought she was just excusing her lack of mat options. (Not a mat store in sight, if you don't count wlmt). But then I was wondering if I was committing some fashion crimes and wanted to know.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Sounds like some bizarre excuse for bad business management, I think!
I'm avg hieght and normally thin, but I couldn't imagine going without maternity clothes either. Though, being preg in Italy last time, I saw many moms doing just that and letting the belly just hang out. I think it was due to the extreme lack of maternity clothes/stores and the tiny ones to be found were rediculously unaffordable for the average middle class.
I have thought that I will probably try to wear those non-maternity streachy wide waisted gauchos this summer, since I have 3 pairs. But I still bought some maternity capris just to be sure I have something that I know will fit right.

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#3 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM

I'm assuming that's why every maternity store that opens up here is bankrupt within a couple of months and the only places left to buy maternity is at Zellers (1/2 a rack) and Walmart (1 full rack).

In my entire city there is 1.5 racks of maternity clothes for sale.

So I'm wearing super low rise jeans and long tunic tops.

#4 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 06:14 PM

I don't wear maternity tops so much but I do wear maternity jeans. I just buy bigger shirts as I don't get a huge belly.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#5 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM

DDCC to say that Target, Gap and Old Navy have some really cute maternity clothes.

Also, Destination Maternity is a store that's nothing BUT maternity clothes (Motherhood, Pea in Pod, etc.) In addition to stand-alone stores, they also have them in Macy's (at least, around here they do). Stuff from Destination Maternity is a little pricey, but there are a lot of cute things, so if being "fashionable" is important, then maybe it's worth it to you?

I am just shy of 10 weeks, 5'1", and very short torsoed, so I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm already in maternity clothes (full-panel pants), and couldn't imagine having anything tight around my waist right now.

FWIW, I think cute (not dowdy) maternity clothes are totally in. But I'm 28... getting up there in terms of knowing "what's cool" so what do I know?

ETA - I'm just outside of Philly, so I guess depending on your location, maybe there are fewer options? I definitely don't feel like I have any shortage of options as an east coast consumer.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#6 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I live rurally, so not many options. I def shop online and love ON for affordable mat clothes. I was just surprised tp hear someone say that no one wears mat clothes anymore. Interesting.

typos likely

#7 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM

It does not work for me just to buy bigger non-mat clothes. I usually wear a size small shirt, so if I go up to large, it might fit the belly but it's hanging off my shoulders. That's a ridiculous statement -- no one wears maternity anymore. I can see it perhaps being true for very young women who do want to let their bellies hang out, but for "older" moms or people who work outside the home, it's definitely a necessity.

I buy at JCPenney, Sears, Kohls, and Ross, mainly. The mat sections are not big, but they're also not expensive, for the most part. Kohls is a little pricey for maternity, but if you catch their sales, it's okay. I like Old Navy maternity, but my local store doesn't carry it.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#8 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM

There are not many options around here for people unwilling to pay a lot for maternity clothes.

I personally wear maternity clothes, I am overweight to begin with and just buying bigger is not only a hit to the ego, but they just don't hang right. Example- I wear a 12/14/16 pair of pants and an XL shirt normally. I got a pair of 2XL (no XL available) maternity pants on Freecycle and the butt hangs down so far DH asked me if I was wearing them in public because they looked silly. I told him it's either than or pay $30 for one pair of pants, he shut up quickly. But I bought a 1X shirt that was non maternity for $5 at walmart and it fits my boobs but doesn't cover my belly. So I would probably have to go for 3X by the time the pregnancy is over. No thanks- not when I the XL shirt I got from freecycle from motherhood will fit the entire time.

We have a Penney's and a Kohls near by but I refuse to spend so much on regular clothes let alone clothes I will wear for a few months. So I have turned to freecycle and thrift stores. I will have to order a few from Walmart.com because Walmart and KMart here don't carry mat clothes.

I normally buy my clothes at Wal-Mart or clearance at Kohls so I rarely pay more than $7 for a shirt and my max is $15 for a pair of pants so you can see my dilemma. There is a target not too far so I might look and see what they have.

I think it's dumb to not have maternity clothes as an option.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#9 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Not only do many people forgo maternity clothes, but maternity clothes are so tiny now.
When I had DS less than 4 years ago maternity clothes actually fit, admittedly I have grown- but I have no idea how I'm going to fit in them by the time the babies come, they fit really nice right now at 13 wks, but the stuff that fits my belly will be hanging off my shoulders. I guess I'll figure something out, probably have to size up even in maternity- ridiculous.

Mom to 5, DS- 3/2006,  Twin boys-7/2010, B/G twins- 1/2012

#10 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 PM

DDC to say that *I* am rocking my maternity clothes. Beyond about 16 weeks, my pants were just too uncomfortable. I bought a bunch of pants at Destination Maternity and my mom bought me a bunch of tops. I'm planning on saving everything carefully for the next baby as well.
#11 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
MJB

I'm in Ann Arbor, an affluent, family-friendly town, and went maternity clothes searching today. UGH! Our Old Navy and Gap stores do not carry maternity. Target had one rack. The mall maternity store had nothing I liked. I guess I'm going to order online or wait until I visit Louisville to get maternity clothes.
I'm young (just shy of 26), pretty hip IMO, and I need some maternity t-shirts at the least! I'm not going to buy an XL in regular clothes when I need an XS/S with room for my belly. I want to look cute, not frumpy! Maybe some people are getting by with sweats and oversize t-shirts but not me.
#12 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM

ddcc.. so say my chubby butt is not fitting in any *normal* clothes. There are some styles of shirts that I think will work for me but I definately buy bigger and most are longer tunic styles. Im personally not a fan of letting my belly "hang out" on some its cute on me...not so much

have you seen jcpenny's, they had a lot of things recently on clearance and I actually stocked up on t shirts and tanks because frankly thats what I live in so it makes sense. I have noticed that its harder to find maternity clothes let alone affordable ones and casual styles. As much as I'd love to wear this super tight maternity mini skirt it aint practical for my life and when im pg im all about the stretchy fabric
#13 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Not wearing maternity clothing? That seems a bit odd to me. Yes, I've seen women do this, particullarly teens who don't mind their belly hanging out a bit, and some of the local hippies who just let their belly hang out alot (or even all the way, think skirt and a sport bra), but as a working mom, there is no way I could do without maternity clothing.

That being said, it is very hard to find. Our giant Old Navy has just a tiny little display tucked in with the baby items, Gap has a couple racks at the back of Baby Gap, Target has one rack, WalMart has one rack. With DD, I went to Motherhood and bought 5 outfits, one for each work day in the week. On the weekend I made do with sweat pants slung low and large T-shirts. This time around, I'm already tired of those outfits, but I'm making it work. I'm hunting consignment stores and thrift stores, and I've made a few finds already that are helping me feel slightly more stylish.

I do think, however, that maternity styles are changing. No longer do women wear big sack dresses designed to camo the belly. Now it is all about showing the belly off with more fitted items, as well as wearing baby doll shirts that are fitted up top but more loose below. Pants, in general, have gotten tighter and skirts shorter. The good news is these items seem to fit longer as they have ruffles, gathers, and elastic that helps the garmet hold it's shape regardless of belly size.

Low slung jeans and long tops might work for the second trimester, but by the third? I think it's go maternity or look a little frumpy.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#14 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM

IMHO Old Navy has a great selection on line and very reasonable prices (everything eventually goes on sale, they just had a big one). Don't forget to look up coupon codes too!
JCPenney and Target also have good selections online.
How I miss having choices in america....
Well, maybe the stores have just realized that the real market is online for maternity. Who wants to lug a big belly around shopping anyway??

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#15 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 PM

I have only found anything online. I don't like buying them online as I find it hard to size maternity clothes since I tend to gain weight everywhere and the size I was prepregnancy has no correlation. One target here had exactly 8 pairs of maternity jeans (all the same style and mostly in sizes 12 and up) and 3 maternity tops (2 tank tops and a hideous orange hoodie). That was it. The rest of their "maternity" section was simply plus sized clothing which would never work for a petite 5' 2" girl like myself. Ridiculous. I may end up driving to Denver if I get desperate.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#16 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COgirl19 View Post
I may end up driving to Denver if I get desperate.
I don't know where in CO you are, but if you drive to Denver there is a Motherhood outlet in the shops at Colorado Mills (I-70 and Colfax). And there is a great chain called Clothes Mentor that carries consignment maternity clothing. They are run by the same people that do Once Upon a Child consignment. They sometimes have great deals, and it is always cheaper than the new stuff. I don't know where the Denver locations are, since I normally go to the Fort Collins one, but you could most likely find them online.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#17 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM

DDCC.

Babies R Us has some motherhood maternity stuff, too.

I totally don't understand the concept that people don't wear maternity clothes anymore. I was an average size before pregnancy (5-5 and 130 pounds), and there is no way I could even get my pre-preggo pants over my THIGHS, even less zipped or buttoned. I have one or two non-maternity shirts that still fit, but that's more of a fluke. And they're actually non-maternity shirts that I bought when I was about 8 weeks pregnant just to get me through until I needed maternity... so they were bought with pregnancy in mind.

I can still wear at least one pair of my pajama pants. Maybe those mythical non-maternity pants wearers just wear pajama pants all the time?

Also, too-tight lower-rise pants give me braxton hicks and really piss off this baby. I can't even imagine what non-maternity pants would do.

I say it was just a poor excuse for a business decision that didn't mesh with what you were asking about.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#18 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
Low slung jeans and long tops might work for the second trimester, but by the third? I think it's go maternity or look a little frumpy.
Lol, I guess I'll be frumpy then because there are no maternity options here. None of the stores listed carry maternity where I live and I'm not going to order online.

Although I don't see how low rise jeans and long fitted tops (t-shirts for summer) are going to be frumpy.
#19 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Right. I totally buy maternity and was just excited to possibly have a local (non online, traveling) option. I agree that she was just not wanting to carry mat and was giving her excuses. I said that I have a short torso and large babes and so I need maternity so she walks me around the store telling me what she thinks will work and how her sis wore these pants her entire preg, ect. There was actually a cute stretchy dress that would probably get me by for a few months...I mentioned that everyone I knew still wore maternity clothes and wished there was a local option. She said that boutique mat jeans are more than most want to pay for them (80$) and I agreed with that. So I think what she had to offer was one line of maternity shirts that were just the same as the other shirts/tanks offered in the store and so it wasn't worth it to her.
Good to know I'm not completely out of the fashion loop yet. I agree that there are a lot more options what with low rise, longer shirts, less social pressure to keep it all covered (tho I don't think my preggo belly is anything I want seen in public! haha). But I'm still glad I have maternity choices.

Since my belly, bust and hips are changing and growing, I expect to need different sizes for different sizes, iykwim.

typos likely

#20 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think people are still wearing them as much now, but a lot of women shop online now and thus, local stores in smaller towns can't stay open.

I can't imagine going without them either. I have a few shirts that are non-maternity that were the right style (and stretched well) to be able to be worn as maternity shirts. You would never know they weren't when I wear them with a big belly.
#21 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Nordstrom carries a line in the Brass Plum section called Jolt, and they have several pairs of pants that are not actually maternity, but they have a foldover waistband that makes them comfortable with a belly. And they are cheaper than a lot of maternity jeans and pants. They have a website where you can order online here: http://www.joltstyle.com/Pants/icat/pants

These are really cute, especially for youngish moms-to-be. I'm 27 and love these. I'm holding out as long as I can on buying actual maternity clothes. So far these pants, plus "cute" sweats and pants with foldover waistbands, long tanks, and my stretchier shirts and sweaters have worked fine. I imagine in the 3rd trimester I'll have to get a couple things though.

By the way, I would order 2 sizes up from your normal size with these pants.

Planning a homebirth with our first in August · EDD 8/18
#22 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 10:38 PM

I loved my maternity jeans! I can't wait to get back in them. I must be the worlds biggest dork!

I really like the maternity clothes from the gap! Ann Taylor Loft also had a maternity section, but only online. I haven't gotten anything from there, but I may as I have a gift card and I'll need some spring/summer things anyway.

Jenn (30) wife to DH (42) and Mama to DS (2). Looking forward to our with #2 due Nov. 2 2010.
#23 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM

I'm 24 and I have 5 pairs of maternity pants already! Haha! I got some on clearance at Old Navy ($6!), and the others at Ross, Target and thrift stores. Also I bought some super cute maternity shirts. I certainly don't want to sit around in pajama pants or sweat pants - talk about a quick way to sink into depression for me!
I think that its silly to say no one wears maternity clothing anymore - maybe most of us just don't have an extra $5000 to spend on clothes!
#24 of 60 Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
I think people are still wearing them as much now, but a lot of women shop online now and thus, local stores in smaller towns can't stay open.

I can't imagine going without them either. I have a few shirts that are non-maternity that were the right style (and stretched well) to be able to be worn as maternity shirts. You would never know they weren't when I wear them with a big belly.

Yep, that's the only option I have, online shopping. Online shopping is tricky, because I am tall. I surf the thrift stores and consignment shops for mat clothes and baby clothes. I had incrediable luck on eBay and Craigslist, almost 50 items of clothing for $150 ($60 of it was for shipping, from Canada). So, I feel like I am set on what I need. Except for a few nursing tanks and bra's, oh and good pair of slip-on shoes.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#25 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well I certainly cant lecture in front of my Chemistry class in sweat pants!! What to do for us working moms-to-be who need to dress more formally? Any good stores for that?
#26 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 01:29 AM

DDCC

Total bull-honkey.

I'll agree that most places don't sell maternity locally - it's mostly an online market, because it's pretty niche (which is hilarious, because how many babies are born every year???). I'm 25yo, under 5 feet, and 100lb pre-preg and I wouldn't have made it past 10w without maternity clothes. Buying a size up is just not an option because I swim in mediums and already have to hem size small pants.

Some trendy styles work, like the blousy shirts and baggy empire waist stuff, but at 30w, it's maternity all the way.

Locally, check out children's consignment stores. They often have business/nicer maternity clothing as well.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#27 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 AM

I have been told the same thing by 2 different stores - that they don't carry maternity clothes due to lack of demand. I was really surprised!

Most of the maternity clothes I do find are expensive, ugly, cheap-looking, and uncomfortable. I've been wearing normal pants with the rubber-band trick. (I use a strong hair band and loop it through the hole and around the button. I also keep spares in my purse in case it busts!) My HCP commented that she sees a lot of women doing this. This will only work for me up until about 6 months, though. Then I'll be needing full-panel maternity pants.

I also currently wear loose-fitting nonmaternity shirts (mostly the knit ones with gathering near the neckline) and sometimes a belly band, if my shirt isn't long enough to cover the button trick.

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#28 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM

I could see going without maternity clothes fir a while but last time my belly was even hangingnout of my maternity clothes! I don't want to stretch all my clothes out. There are t many places that carry them though-old navy, gap, motherhood, a pea in the pod. Oh and I'm 28.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#29 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 AM

I do know a girl who is pregnant with twins and at 30 weeks of her pregnancy, was wearing low rise normal pants, just unbuttoned. The difference is she is very slim through the hips and doesnt seem to put anything on anywhere but her belly. I am NOT slim through the hips to start, and it is where I widen. Low rise jeans on me would have to be so big just to fit my damn hips.

Everyone I know, other then the slim hipped twin preggo, wears maternity clothes.
#30 of 60 Old 02-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
I can't even imagine not wearing maternity clothes. I have a few really large peasant/hippie/boho style shirts that are great all the way through, but with that exception...sheesh.

As someone who is tall and thin, but gains "well" during pregnancy, I don't know how anyone would do it w/out maternity clothes. Since our second child, I am in maternity clothes very soon after getting a BFP. It's like extreme PMS bloating and then some..then it turns into baby. I've been in them for weeks now.

I HATE lo-rise pants. I have REAL woman hips, and when taking care of children, cleaning house, etc., bending over is just not OK. I don't get how you are supposed to function and not show butt crack. It's a real challenge because I don't want "mom jeans" either. I prefer paneled bellies that go up high enough, yet they can't cut off circulation when I get huge. I've found a few styles that are great. Mid waist are OK too, when they have a supportive enough band.

I like long skirts, but they are extremely hard to find. I have several peasant style/maxi skirts with elastic or drawstring that work for maternity.

I'm going to be making a lot of skirts and maxi dresses for summer this go-round. I hate the immodest and ultra tight and young maternity clothes. I don't let my belly and big pregnant boobs hang out for anyone but my husband, so it's not for me! I like feminine and stylish comfortable dresses for summer, too. Those are hard to find as it seems tight jeans are what's in most stores/online. I don't understand why being fashionable and young usually means tight, uncomfortable and revealing.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page