feeling panicky - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i applied for medi-cal right after i found out i was pregnant, back in december. but it's taking so long! i've been approved, but i'm still waiting for an information packet to choose my plan/doctor/etc. i can't go see the group of cnm's i've picked until all that is done. i did call and talk to one of the midwives (instead of the receptionist/billing person) to tell her what was going on. she said they would still take me, but if it took too much longer (another month) to finish up the medi-cal stuff then i should go elsewhere! NNNOOOOOO!!! I do not want to go to the free clinic, how will I find a natural birth friendly doc there? And even if I did, I would still be totally at the mercy of whoever was working that day. I'm already really nervous about having a hospital birth, and this is just stressing me out further.

Maybe she just said that because I told her I haven't had any prenatal care yet and she wants me to get some. Whatever. This is my third baby so I think I know how to take care of myself. Nothing they do at those prenatal checkups is going to make me healthier. Sheesh. I would consider doing a UC, but the idea is definitely a no go with my dh. he actually surprised me by being happy we'd be at a hospital this time. because "it's safer". I did not expect that from him, in the past he's totally defended our decision to homebirth to family and friends.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 PM

I couldn't read and not post. I'm sorry your having to deal with the pain of health care like this.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#3 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 02:36 PM

I would talk to her again & make an appt if possible. Medi-Cal with back date your coverage for 90 days. She is probably just worried that you haven't had care yet & the longer you go without care the higher her liability is IF something were to go wrong. Try not to stress about it. It will all work out.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#4 of 7 Old 03-13-2010, 02:49 PM

I can totally relate. I am having medicaid troubles myself. I notified them in November and it took until last month to find out that we "probably" aren't covered.

It has been nothing but a hassle and so stressful. Hang in there. It will all work out.
#5 of 7 Old 03-14-2010, 10:00 AM

i am so sorry! I hope it gets straightened out soon!

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#6 of 7 Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

after a lot of hassle we got approved for medi-cal, but still hadn't received any information about it or to pick which plan. Once I got the right number to call, I found out we didn't qualify for the "medi-cal health plans" but instead got straight medi-cal. whatever the heck that means. all i know is i can't go see the cnm's i'd picked out. i totally broke down and cried when i found this out. and i have NO information on how to find someone who takes straight medi-cal. i called all the natural birth friendly docs and cnm's i know of, only one of them takes medi-cal but they don't take our other insurance! as far as i understand it our other health insurance is hospitilization only, so hospitals can bill them but nobody in private practice can. who does this leave me with???? who is going to take BOTH of my insurances???? trying not to hyperventilate...

dh suggests we go to the hospital we want (the only small people friendly hospital around, the rest are giant hospitalzillas) and talk to them to see if they have any dr's/cnm's who take our two insurances. so we are going tonight on the maternity ward tour. cross your fingers that we find somebody.

eta: I am now 18weeks! Who is going to take me now?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#7 of 7 Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
after a lot of hassle we got approved for medi-cal, but still hadn't received any information about it or to pick which plan. Once I got the right number to call, I found out we didn't qualify for the "medi-cal health plans" but instead got straight medi-cal. whatever the heck that means. all i know is i can't go see the cnm's i'd picked out. i totally broke down and cried when i found this out. and i have NO information on how to find someone who takes straight medi-cal. i called all the natural birth friendly docs and cnm's i know of, only one of them takes medi-cal but they don't take our other insurance! as far as i understand it our other health insurance is hospitilization only, so hospitals can bill them but nobody in private practice can. who does this leave me with???? who is going to take BOTH of my insurances???? trying not to hyperventilate...

dh suggests we go to the hospital we want (the only small people friendly hospital around, the rest are giant hospitalzillas) and talk to them to see if they have any dr's/cnm's who take our two insurances. so we are going tonight on the maternity ward tour. cross your fingers that we find somebody.

eta: I am now 18weeks! Who is going to take me now?
First of all *hugs* I hope you can get someone to take both your insurances. And 2nd as for being 18 weeks along wondering who will take you, I plan on switching at like 32 weeks to a different doctor, and I have heard that its not too hard to switch then so I would think 18 weeks is ok

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page