Worrying about OB involvement - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just found out my midwife (the norm in NZ) is referring me to the hospital obstetric team Basically I have had 2 high blood pressure readings (out of 2) with her, yet when I visit my GP, even the day before, the readings are normal! DH thinks I'm worrying too much, but I can't help thinking this is a slippery slope to losing the birth I want. I've already compromised since my m/w isn't keen on homebirths, and was happy with the birthing centre option, but I know they won't take me if I'm high risk. I'm just worried the OB will see a plus-sized woman with (supposed) high blood pressure, and I'll be classified as high risk and on the road to induction. Ugh, not what I wanted!

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#2 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm sorry. I'd be worried, too. Make sure you let the dr know your birth preferences right from the very beginning, and stand strong! I hope your BP comes down and stays down, even for office visits.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#3 of 10 Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Is it possible to get a different midwife that leans more to your preferences? It doesn't sound like she is being fair. I would just keep a close I on it. Maybe do some relax techniques before you go into the office.

Quote:
Make sure you let the dr know your birth preferences right from the very beginning, and stand strong! I hope your BP comes down and stays down, even for office visits.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#4 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm planning on getting my GP records to show my normal blood pressure readings from the same time period to see if that helps, but will definitely be clear about my birthing plans.

#5 of 10 Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
LZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jade* View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm planning on getting my GP records to show my normal blood pressure readings from the same time period to see if that helps, but will definitely be clear about my birthing plans.
this is a great idea, Jade, and what I was going to suggest. Perhaps the excitement/nervousness about your MW visit increased your BP a bit? Good luck, I hope sharing your other results gets you back on the road to a birth you want (or, at least at the BC that it's second best to the HB you truly want )

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#6 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

I just heard back from my midwife, and it seems I'm actually being referred for my BMI. Sigh. I knew this would come up eventually.

#7 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jade* View Post
I just heard back from my midwife, and it seems I'm actually being referred for my BMI. Sigh. I knew this would come up eventually.
hang in there.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#8 of 10 Old 03-18-2010, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I had a call from a friend who went through the same team, and she reassured me a lot, so that was really good. I figure I can be staunch and flexible at the same time

#9 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update, met with my midwife today. Looks like the birthing centre is ruled out, so hospital it is And waterbirth might be as well, depending on how things go.

I'm gutted. I know for a lot of people this wouldn't be a big deal, but it all feels completely out of my control, like I have no more birth choices anymore. Everything I've always imagined has now been vetoed.

#10 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM

you have plenty of time to work out those kinks. You should write down your birth wishes and then write some acceptable alternatives. You can come up with something with your team.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page