Anyone thinking twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm measuring 5 weeks ahead, I gained 5 lbs in the past week and I'm exhausted all the time. Morning sickness was horrible in the first trimester and is still lingering a bit.

Dh casually mentioned the other day that twins run on both sides of his family.

My first ultrasound is at 19 weeks (next Friday) so we'll know for sure then.

I so do not want twins. I can't imagine how stressful that would be with a 4 and a 2.5 year old already. I'm hoping this is just a fourth pregnancy kinda thing.

Anyone else? Anyone been there and it wasn't twins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM

That would definitely be the shock of a lifetime! I can't say I've been there...or know anyone else who has, but I hope things work out for you okay.

I think weight gain isn't necessarily steady the whole time, so that in itself isn't a guarantee. Try not to fret too much in the meantime - only a little bit longer until you know for sure!

Andrea , wife to Mark , mama to Taylor Elise (2) and Aurora Evelyn (born 8/17/10!)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Weight gain can be sporadic for some. I can gain nothing one month and 10 lbs the next. But probably what would be helpful to know for you, is is this different from your typical pattern for pregnancy? This is my fourth pregnancy and I am gaining less, and measuring bigger early. 20 wks at 15, so fivish ahead like you. I typically measure right on til 30 wks, then two weeks ahead til birth (big babes).
So twins is a possibility with that, or it could just be a "healthy" fondus. (fundus?)
Keep in mind that they do still miss twins with US and doppler.

I am really excited about the possibility of twins--overwhelming? Yes! Fun after the first two yrs? You bet! (if it makes you feel any better, I'm in a 700 sq ft studio and will be for awhile yet).

DH is really skeptical and I mostly am too, but it's fun to think about naming twins...we aren't having an U/S unless nec later on, so we wouldn't know *for sure* until birth just what we're having, lol. (And we're not mentioning it to anyone even the possibility...this has suddenly gained huge appeal with me--just calling people up with some twin quip after they're born--MIL would FREAK, as she doesn't like HB as it is and has specifically said not to "do that to me". (ie have twins at home) Better for her for sure to not know...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM
MJB

I know I'm only having one, but I've been measuring ahead (and at U/S baby was >97th %ile so we know why!) and I'm still having some morning sickness at 20 weeks. I haven't gained much this pregnancy, only 10 lbs. so far, but with my last pregnancy I had already gained 10 lbs. at 10 weeks and ended up gaining 50 overall! Just one big ol' baby.
I did have a twin pregnancy before but miscarried, so it's always something I worry about. I would *not* want twins, especially with 2 already. I was relieved to see just one big girl in there at my U/S. With my last baby I UP'd the whole time so I didn't know for sure that I wasn't having twins until after the birth (literally, after he came out I thought, "Please please do not let there be another one in there!) I measured up to 6 weeks ahead and with the 50 lb. gain, who knew. But it turned out all good.
This time (my third), my uterus was at my belly button around 15 weeks but it's evened out. I'm probably only measuring a week ahead now, at 20 weeks.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

In previous pregnancies I gain no weight in the first trimester and then slowly from there, topping out at 30lbs.

I starting gaining around 8 weeks this time and am now 13lbs up.

It's probably not twins but it still freaks me out to about it. We had only planned on having four and if it's twins we'd be done, which isn't fair! I want four labors.

Twins would also risk me out of homebirth. My midwives are paranoid enough about doing an hbac despite a successful vbac last time.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Dh casually mentioned the other day that twins run on both sides of his family.
I believe that the ability of twins, affecting you, only comes from the mother's side. Identical twins aren't genetic.

I always measure further along than I am by at least 3 weeks. I think it might have something to do with having a short torso?

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemamma View Post
I believe that the ability of twins, affecting you, only comes from the mother's side. Identical twins aren't genetic.

I always measure further along than I am by at least 3 weeks. I think it might have something to do with having a short torso?
Awesome.

I do have a short torso but I've never measured ahead in any of my previous pregnancies. My stomach muscles must be shot.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Right-- dad has nothing to do with risk of twins. If you've got 'em, you're just lucky.

I'm carrying twins (not mine- as a surrogate). At my 16 week appointment, I was measuring 25 weeks. Morning sickness was actually much easier on me than with my singletons, though the exhaustion during the first trimester was *crushing*-- I've never experienced anything like it. Whatever morning sickness I did have resolved by about week 15, which is consistent with my singleton pregnancies. At 16 weeks, I was about 7 lbs. up from my starting weight, 14 lbs. from my lowest weight during the pregnancy. Not sure any of that is helpful, but if you want to compare symptoms, there you go!

I hope everything works out for you.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Twins and triplets run naturally in my family, so I'm always THINKING twins...but I do beleive there is only one little bean in there this time around. I'll find out for sure at the u/s in about 2 weeks.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 AM

To reassure you, I have been pregnant with twins twice (once that resulted in my 4 year old twins and once that resulted in my 3 year old daughter after the twin stopped growing at 10 weeks) and neither pregnancies have ever been any different to my singleton pregnancies until about 26 weeks when I became significantly more uncomfortable. I didnt show any earlier, I wasnt any sicker or eat any more. And I knew early on that it was twins, so I was hyperaware of it all.

On my many forums I see one woman a week who is convinced she is having twins, and she never is. All the ones who are having twins are usually not thinking of it at all and completely taken by surprise. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Well, so far I've had an us early on and we saw 1 healthy Babe. Today is our biggie and though it would drop dh to his knees I would love to find 2 in there .
My littlest dd had a twin early on and I always believed I'd have twins.
I juust pray this little one is healthy and thriving in there, but to hear 'oh and there's another' would just be another amazing. That would bring dc 4 & 5. Wow. No doubt that'd be something...
This pg has been entirely different in every way. We conceived without fert. treatments for the first time. ever. It was a complete surprise. I actually feel good now~ was sick every minute of my other pgs. Am measuring ahead with crazy movement but thats nothing new .

Wwell~~ we shall see .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Lol I'm thinking twins so it won't be! Just like I'm sure it's a boy in the hopes that it'll be a girl.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 PM

i haven't been thinking twins -BUT I measured my fundus this morning and i am measuring 27 -28 weeks...I am only 20 weeks pregnant!!

I measured because I moved into a new house with lots of mirrors and I look absolutely huge. Well, I have now proved that I AM huge!!

I usually measure ahead by 2 - 3 weeks, even 4 weeks, but 7 -8 weeks? NOW i am a little freaked out.....

I haven't seen my midwife yet because we moved across the country last week and have not gotten around to seeing her yet.

anyone measure this far ahead and have only one??

thanks

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Earlier on I thought there may be a chance because:

*At 11w I was measuring about 17 or 18 weeks.
*I had an ultrasound and I asked if there was a second and she told me not that she could see but she was having a hard time seeing the one she could see.
*At my 14 week appt. she put the doppler on me and got a heartrate of 140. Then she moved the doppler over a couple of inches and got a heartrate of 160. Kind of freaked me out hearing two different heartrates but the doctor said the baby could have just woke up.

I am still measuring ahead but things are evening out now. I will be 18 weeks on Sunday and my fundus is measuring 20-21 weeks.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm over the twin thing...lol. I think the student midwife measured wrong. I checked my fundus yesterday and had dh double check it and there is no way it's higher than my belly button.

I'm 18 weeks so that only puts me two weeks over. She had me at 22 weeks two weeks ago.

Now is it a boy or a girl? Will find out on Friday!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
I'm over the twin thing...lol. I think the student midwife measured wrong. I checked my fundus yesterday and had dh double check it and there is no way it's higher than my belly button.

I'm 18 weeks so that only puts me two weeks over. She had me at 22 weeks two weeks ago.

Now is it a boy or a girl? Will find out on Friday!
Dates from fundal size don't mean much until about 20 weeks anyway. Good luck Friday!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 AM

Last week we had our 20 wk us and there is one very active and healthy baby boy swimming around in there!!
My fundus is very high though but that is just how I am carrying this (4th) time around.

Looking forward to hearing more healthy news from all and maybe even some twin news .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three

User Tag List