getting sick....again and again and again. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not morning sickness, but a cold.
if this comes on full force like i think it might, this will be my THIRD bout with a terrible cold/sinus infection in the past FOUR weeks. i've already missed four days of work (three days for the first round and only one for the second as it fell late in the week).i had to break down and take a tylenol last time as i had a low-grade fever that i didn't want to get any higher.

does anyone know or have an opinion on taking Emergen-C while pregnant? i swore by it before getting pregnant, but am unsure now. i find mixed reviews online.

thanks!
megan
#2 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM

I think it's fine to take while pregnant, but pretty steep in price for the actual amount of C you're getting. I use Sodium Ascorbate and buy it in power form. I get lots more powder that way. (And can take more) A good b complex and sublingual b 12 also help with that sort of thing--and don't forget food folate! (eat your greens ,lol)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#3 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 PM

My midwives recommended Emergen-C for me so I don't think there is anything wrong with it, though I don't know how truly effective it is at anything.. haha. I feel better after drinking it anyway!
#4 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 08:21 PM

I've had 2 sinus infection, a stomach flu & 2 colds since getting pregnant. I am currently feeling another cold coming on too! I never get sick like this. It is crazy. I have always taken Emergen-C while pregnant. I also take echinacea & add several drops of grapefruit seed extract to my Emergen-C. I hope you feel better soon.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#5 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
MJB

I posted a thread about my sickness a month or so ago. I had swine flu, 6+ weeks of a severe cough/cold (coughing until I puked), and a stomach virus in the first trimester. Ugh. I'm doing fine now but it was really rough. I was taking all kinds of OTC drugs for my cough and congestion.
I started taking vitamin D and haven't been sick since. Emergen-C is safe as is echinacea.
#6 of 7 Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 PM

If you haven't tried already try Neti Pot(sinus rinse). In India they do it every day for preventative measures..especially if susceptible to allergies or sinus infections. I have heard it is best to do it in the evening. You can google it online. There is lots of info on it.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#7 of 7 Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, everyone! I seemed to have dodged anything major. My son and I are still hacking away though...

Cheryl -- I hope the rollercoaster of sickness stops for you soon too!

xo megan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page