Can we have a staying healthy accountability thread? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
......Because I need one!!!

My last pregnancy I was completely cautious of what went into my body and what type of activity I was doing. I ate all organic, lots of fruits and veggies, never missed a prenatal, and rarely had any fast food or sweats, (okay, maybe I ate a lot of ice cream ). I also had a workout routine that I was pretty diligent about. I worked out 3-5 times a week (pilates and walking) and stretched every single day times 2. I feel like that really kept me feeling good. Kept my back strong, and my spirits and energy high.

Well, this pregnancy is a totally different story. I know second pregnancies can be that way, but I'm really starting to feel guilty. I keep telling myself that I'll start being healthy tomorrow. But tomorrow never comes. All I'm craving is yucky foods. I'm dying for fast food burgers ten times a day. And I've been indulging in that craving way too often. It's just too easy, and with the dollars menus, it's also cheap. I've also been eating sweats every day. For breakfast today I had a danish, a doughnut, and a coffee. I don't remember the last time I worked out. I've been starting to do some stretching every night because my back has been killing me. I've been feeling the effects of this pregnancy much earlier this time, and I think it's a direct result of not taking care of myself physically. I'm not really overweight, but I feel down right unhealthy.

So, for those of you who are feeling similar, please join me in holding ourselves and one another accountable for our health!!! Let's get each other motivated to keep these babies as healthy as possible. And for those of you who are already as healthy as can be, come on in and share with the rest of us what you are doing, and how you stay on top of it!!!

Here are my goals:

-Start eating healthy. We can't afford organic right now, so I'll have to do the best I can to stay away from pesticides. But NO artificial dies or flavors, NO fast food, and limit sweats. 3 healthy meals a day with snack in between. Eat when I'm hungry but chose an apple instead of a piece of cake.
-Light work out every day, and or a walk now that the weather is nice. Stretch routine in the morning and evening before bed.
-Prenatal vitamin and fish oil every day at lunch time.
-Take 15-30min a day of baby bonding/meditation/quiet time.

So let's share our yummy healthy recipes, our workout routines, the way we stay active, what we're doing to connect with our babies. This could be fun.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#2 of 9 Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 PM

I've had a harder time staying healthy this time, too. I'm definitely gaining weight a lot faster than I did with my first, and much of it is fat, I'm sure. The biggest difference for me is that I can't exercise as often as I did with my first (just don't have time), but since I work out of the home, I'm usually able to walk or at least do a modified aerobics routine in my office for 15-20 minutes at lunch. I'm also taking water aerobics now on Saturday mornings. I just started that a few weeks ago.

I don't think I go overboard on foods at all, but I really should keep a food journal for a few days to see exactly how much I am taking in. My snacks were getting a bit out of hand, but I'm back to my regular two granola bars a day now (and sometimes some cheese or hummus before dinner). I really want to stay under 40 lbs for this pregnancy (only gained 27 last time), so slower gain from this point on is my goal.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#3 of 9 Old 03-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Food wise I think I'm doing better than with my 2nd but I'm slacking on the exercise. For some reason I'm craving hot water and oranges?? My last final is tonight so over spring break I'm going to try starting a walking routine every afternoon-maybe 45 minutes/day. I did that with my 2nd pregnanacy. With my first I was doing the elliptical 3-5X/week. I'll check in tomorrow and let ya know if I actually got the walk in!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#4 of 9 Old 03-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Today I downloaded an app to my Ipod called myfitnesspal. There is also a free website that you can use (myfitnesspal.com). I add my meals (there's a huge database of foods so you don't have to enter the info manually) and it calculates calories, fat, sodium, iron, protein, etc. You can also enter your daily exercise, and it gives you a running total for the day. I've added in everything I think I'll eat for the rest of the day, and I still have abour 200 calories left (that's WITH ice cream after dinner). Having this app kept me from sneaking bits of candy here and there today. I was able to set it so that I will be gaining about .5 lbs per week (I figure I'll cheat a bit). It's pretty cool. Now we'll see if it works .

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#5 of 9 Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

lisalulu - Good luck on your walk! How is the weather where you are? It's been surprisingly pretty nice here, so it's a good incentive to get out and be active.

In my last pregnancy I craved healthy foods a lot as well. I craved steak, and lots of celery and carrots. It sure makes it easier to eat well when you aren't craving cake and burgers....lol.

AmyKT - That sounds like a cool app. I'll check the website out. Is there a specific app for pregnancy or did you just calculate it by adding the weight gain?

As for me, I got outside today for a few hours and worked in the backyard. I did some racking and it was quite the workout. My back and hips are really hurting still though. I think it's time to add chiropractor appointments if I can dig the money up for it. For dinner we had salad, rice and corn, and cat fish with red and yellow peppers. It was quite a healthy meal in comparison to what I've been eating lately, so I'm pretty happy with the second half of my day. Now to carry the trend over into tomorrow.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#6 of 9 Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post

AmyKT - That sounds like a cool app. I'll check the website out. Is there a specific app for pregnancy or did you just calculate it by adding the weight gain?
I couldn't find any food diary apps for pregnancy, which means you have to tweak the regular apps a bit to make them work out right (this one wants to reward me for losing weight, although it will allow you to set a weight gain goal), but it still works. It's amazing how much more accountable it is making me already. Today I brought in grapes and yogurt for my snack instead of granola bars because the app showed me that yesterday I was high on sugar and low on protein.

#7 of 9 Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM

The weather was beautiful here yesterday. I didn't end up walking but I did mow the front and back lawn so I'm going to count that as exercise Of course today is pouring and its supposed to keep it up for a while.

My oldest had his 5th bday Monday and the whole weekend was full of bad eating. I think we finally have all the cake out of the house now!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#8 of 9 Old 03-25-2010, 03:26 PM

I need this. With my last pregnancy I craved healthy foods, but this time I'm craving burgers and sweets. And I've been eating fast food burgers way too often. I can't believe I"m feeding my baby and my kids this junk! I rewatched supersize me hoping to disgust myself about fast food. but it only sorta worked. the whole time i watched it i kept thinking, man a big mac sounds good. and the next day i went and ate one!

and never never never go grocery shopping when you are sick, tired and hungry. i wound up with $40 of junk. candy, chocolate pretzels, chips, frozen pizza and chicken strips. i had been exercising 2x a week, but I've been pretty sick for 8 days now. first a bad cold and now a sinus infection. and when i don't feel good i eat carbs and sugar. sigh... when my goal is to eat low or atleast lowish carb to keep my weight gain down. i gaiined 60 lb with each of my two pregnancies and my weight gain so far is right on track with the past. 15lb now at 18weeks. if i can just find some way to divert my icecream cravings i get the last 3 months to something healthy!

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#9 of 9 Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
The weather was beautiful here yesterday. I didn't end up walking but I did mow the front and back lawn so I'm going to count that as exercise Of course today is pouring and its supposed to keep it up for a while.

My oldest had his 5th bday Monday and the whole weekend was full of bad eating. I think we finally have all the cake out of the house now!
The weather has gotten colder here the last two days as well. It's kept me pretty home bound and cuddled up lazy style.

My DD had a bday on Sunday, so I was in the exact same spot as you with the junk food this weekend. Cake and candy are officially gone now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page