"July is still a long way off!" -- Vent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I'm due July 30, though I primarily hang out here)

If anyone else today tells me how big I am already, I'm going to throw a tantrum. And I may never wear this particular shirt again.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#2 of 12 Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM

pregnancy hormones could make you punch them in the nose.
just sayin'...it has been known to happen.
#3 of 12 Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM

ask them what their excuse is.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#4 of 12 Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM

I hate it when people say stuff like that! It's none of their business. If you weren't pregnant someone wouldn't dare say that to you. What is it about pregnant women that makes everyone think they can just have free reign and say whatever they want, no matter how insensitive, rude or ridiculous. (sorry...my own little vent here).

I too, have been tempted to punch them in the nose. I think it'd be totally acceptable. I'm sure you look fantastic, enjoy your pregnant body.

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Compound heterozygous MTHFR and Prothrombin 2 mutation.

hbac.gif homeschool.gif         chicken3.gif

#5 of 12 Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 PM

I struggle with this too. I did say something like "Well at least mine will be gone in a few months" once to a GUY who liked to say things to me every Sunday at Church. I think he got the hint. I said it jokingly, with a smile like he did, but it still worked.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#6 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 AM

I teach middle school, and just last week one of the kids said "So, when should we expect to have a sub?" To which I replied "You won't! I'm only 19 weeks." "Of how many?" "40." "Wow! You're going to be HUGE! I mean, I thought it was coming out any time!"

Lovely. So from the perspective a 14 year old, I'm ready to pop and I'm not even quite 1/2 way there. I tell myself that maybe they haven't seen many pregnanat ladies, so they don't have a good reference. A well, at least I look peggers and not just fat.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#7 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 AM

Be proud ladies! Just a few short months ago we couldn't wait to see these baby bumps!

Island mama to DD (10), DS (5), DS (4) and DD (Aug 31 '10)
#8 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
I teach middle school, and just last week one of the kids said "So, when should we expect to have a sub?" To which I replied "You won't! I'm only 19 weeks." "Of how many?" "40." "Wow! You're going to be HUGE! I mean, I thought it was coming out any time!"

Lovely. So from the perspective a 14 year old, I'm ready to pop and I'm not even quite 1/2 way there. I tell myself that maybe they haven't seen many pregnanat ladies, so they don't have a good reference. A well, at least I look peggers and not just fat.
I'll vouch for the cluelessness of middle schoolers. My husband teaches eighth grade and the school announces birthdays. Every year on his birthday the kids guess his age (he turned 30 this year) and they say everything from 24 to 45. They just don't know stuff like ages, weight, pregnancy.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#9 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 04:24 AM

yes, I had a similarly irritating situation yesterday. I'm going to be 20 weeks next week and I have just started to show a nice round little baby bump - which is just fair, I think. I mean I'm just about halfway through! And I much prefer looking pregnant than just knowing I am and feeling it, but noone else knowing/noticing.
Anyway this friend said to me yesterday: 'wow, you're already showing a lot!' really? I don't think so. Not for almost 20 weeks. 'well, i wasn't showing at all, when I was 20 weeks.'
So, what's that supposed to mean?! Is this some sort of competition or what? I guess I am *a lot* easier to irritate theses days, but that really bugged me. It's not even like I'm showing heaps more than I did with my first this time around.
But you really would think that someone who has been pregnant herself once would know what ad what not to say. well, I guess there is a big difference between someone wishing for a hb and someone having an elective c/s (for no medical reason)...

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#10 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 AM

I'd love to have people say things to me. The only people who do, know me, so i just assume I look like a fat cow to everyone else.
#11 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Ha, I've been saying this to myself all week.

I am seriously huge in comparison to previous pregnancies. I'm have shortness of breath and heartburn already. I'm uncomfortable after I eat and feel like a whale when I move around. I'm not even half way there yet.

Oddly, yesterday several strangers didn't even notice I was pregnant. I guess the abnormally large stomach (in comparison to the rest of me) didn't tip them off. Maybe they thought I drank lots of beer?
#12 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a little sensitive.

With my first pregnancy I couldn't wait to show, and I was hurt if someone didn't notice I was pregnant. This time, it's just weird to have people constantly appraising my body.

Today a coworker (who gets on my nerves anyway) asked if he could "talk to the baby." I jumped out of range and yelled "just don't touch me!"

Eeek. I'm totally hormonal, I know, but people are all grabby and intrusive all of a sudden, and it's making me paranoid.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page