choroid plexus cysts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my ultrasound today and found out my baby has bilateral choroid plexus cysts. The doctor told me that since everything else looked completely normal, I shouldn't worry. He told me that since he knew I would worry that he would order a repeat U/S for 28 weeks. Does anyone have any info about this.
#2 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Ours came and went with no alarm It is hard not to worry, but in the articles I read they had no affect on anything. I'll be praying for you and baby.
#3 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 PM

The same thing happened with my fourth child... who is now a totally healthy nine year old.

Choroid Plexus Cysts are sometimes found in babies with Trisomy 18. That is a worst case diagnosis and fairly rare.

If it was Trisomy 18, the baby would most likely have other signs visible on an ultrasound... heart problems, clenched fists, excess amniotic fluid and failure to thrive.

In the vast majority of cases, having CPC means nothing. And if it's nothing, it is truly nothing... no minor disabilities, no minor retardation... nothing.

I was told that doctors are seeing more cases of CPC because the ultrasound machine technology has advanced. Chances are there are plenty of healthy children out there who were never diagnosed with CPC because the ultrasounds back then weren't as sensitive.

Unfortunately, this means that many more parents are being worried needlessly. I asked my midwife, "Next time if the baby has CPC, can you just not tell me?". She said no, that they are obligated to tell you everything they know.

The only way to know for sure is to have an amniocentisis done but that is something I was not willing to do for such a small risk of Trisomy 18. So long as the rest of the ultrasound was normal and the baby is growing appropriately, there is almost certainly nothing to worry about.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#4 of 4 Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 AM

We had that finding on my DD's 20 week US. My conclusion after reading up on it was basically that it's a soft marker that's essentially meaningless with no other concurrent findings. My DD is perfectly fine, actually quite above average. Don't stress about it. We did not have a repeat US, other than a BPP at 41 weeks for assurance of continuing to wait for labor.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page