Name Thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going with Ronan Robert.

Ronan is a good solid Irish name which reflects 3/4 of my heritage and 1/2 of DH's. Robert is German which comprises the other half of DH's heritage. (I jokingly pouted about my 1/4 Russian heritage getting ignored and he said we could always throw a Nikolai or Vladmir in there).

In addition - my father and DH's father are both Robert. DH's brother is Scott Robert, my mother's brother and father were Charles Robert. So the middle name was kind of a given.

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#32 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 11:22 PM

I just read Cool Irish Names today. Fun book. Ds' name is Irish, and I just found out dd1's name is an Irish surname as well! Who knew? I asked dh if he liked Finn (wouldn't use it--too close to ds) and he was like, "yeah, if you're a shark". Husband humor at it's best. It's close to some relation's last name as well, which was his real complaint.

Any way, fun thread...I love baby naming possibilities!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#33 of 55 Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 AM

I think a beautiful Irish/Gaelic name for a little girl is Finnola, nn 'Nola' .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#34 of 55 Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momongeon View Post
The only name we can agree on for the moment is Cian. I am afraid people will be confused how to pronounce it. I could also spell it Kian.
I love that name!!

Just for help on spelling, in English, the general rule is if the C is followed by an e, i, or y, it makes the S sound. I really like it pronounced either way but just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't know!!
#35 of 55 Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Yup! It's On-ya sounding. I had some friends who are very scandinavian, as I am, and their daughter's all had really cool scandia names, the youngets being Anya.

It's hard when other people can't pronounce your child's name. Bryn gets called Brian all the time, like we spelled it wrong on the b. cert. or something

I love male humor when it comes to picking out names. I just try and let it roll off the back. Hazzard is actually an old family name on my ex's side, and when we were coming up with names for the second, He wanted to name him Duke Hazzard. What is it with that show?

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#36 of 55 Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
I love male humor when it comes to picking out names. I just try and let it roll off the back. Hazzard is actually an old family name on my ex's side, and when we were coming up with names for the second, He wanted to name him Duke Hazzard. What is it with that show?
Ahahaha. That is funny. Im not sure what it is with guys and that show. I have to admit I did like the Dukes of Hazzard movie LOL.

DH is so happy that if we have a boy he gets to call him Bo. I am really not sure why he likes it so much but at least if its only a nickname I can live with it. Better than the nicknames he's given my DD, Calli. He calls her all sorts of wierd names LOL. Pickle, Punchy, Penguin. Not really sure where any of them came from except Penguin. One of the first pictures taken of her, her hair was all fuzzy and stuck out at the sides and she looked like one of those penquins with the hairy/feathery sides of the head.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#37 of 55 Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 PM

So far I haven't been able to get dh to talk about names much. Though he has said if it's a boy he'd like Joseph (wanted that with ds1 too). I prefer Issac, Joel or Levi. Our first son's name is from the bible/hebrew scriptures (Jacob), so those names go along with that.

For a girl, I like Sophie or Kayla. DD's name is Lauren, no real theme there. Unless it's old movie actresses. (think Lauren Bacall) Hmm... There's Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn, Judy Garland, Vivian Leigh. Don't really like any of those names though. DH has vetoed some names: Fiona, Hannah, Emma.

I have no idea about middle names yet. Agreeing on a name is so hard. I don't want something too common, but dh hates "weird" names. Especially for boys. sigh...

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#38 of 55 Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 PM

I'm seeing some really nice names here!! Franjapany, I love your sons name! Noah and Orion are both names I love and tried to convince DH on, but no luck so far. We need to choose something that works both in French and English without too much pronouciation difference, since our kids are being raised bilingual. We both like Italian names and the pronounciation is usually similar in eng and french. Middle name is already chosen as Matthieu (DH's name).
Some choices so far are
Luca
Giovanni (but would he be called Gio (Joe), or Gianni (Jhonny)? blech) I guess we could call him Giovi?
Xavier (this rhymes with our last name in french. Meh. And it's pronounced completely diff. in the 2 languages) But Xavi is a nice way to shorten it.
These are the only once we kinda agree on so far, but I have a lot of others I like:
Benjamin
Gabriel
Elijah

With DD, we tried out calling the baby different names for a week or so each during the pregnancy, just to see if it fit or felt right. It made it easy to see which names wouldn't work for us.
I still need to do some research as I'm not totally convinced yet it will be any of the above names...

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#39 of 55 Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
We are having a hard time with girl's names. We have always like Eleanor for a girl, but I am not completely sure I want to use it now that we are actually having a girl I am having difficulty with the "nor " part of Eleanor because the beginning of our last name is Moor so it would be like nor moor. The rhyming is annoying me.
DDCC

Have you thought of Ellena (EL-eh-nah)? It's mostly a Greek name now, though in centuries past it was very popular in England and elsewhere. One of Jane Austen's contemporaries used it as a title character in her novel, and if you do searches for it you see it on a lot of family name charts (going back to the 1800s and earlier, I mean). Means "shining sun." One of our favorites.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#40 of 55 Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 PM

I looove Luca. Dp doesn't. Urg. He comes up with Irish names, etc. that I can't even pronounce.

I like the idea of having family names for the middle name. It kinda helps keep the family name line going.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#41 of 55 Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
I just posted about this on Facebook!

We picked names!!

When we were pregnant with DD we had the name Jaece picked out for a boy. We always said that if we ever ended up having a boy, that he would be named Jaece. Well we now know a guy named Jaece so I can't bring myself to use that name anymore.
How are you pronouncing this?

caffix.gif
#42 of 55 Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm not pg, but love names and just read through them all to see and figured I would list my smalls names
We have
DS1 Cadence Timothy John
DS2 Zechaiah Oliver Aaron
DD Ayden Linda Joy
Our lo's all have 2 middle names because we had chosen a fam. name for DS1 and then found out DH's grandpa was dying and wanted to use his name before he passed. Now we just do it to use a fam. name and names the other might not like as much
I love odd names and so does DH but we don't usually agree on them and we have a really hard time with boys names. We didn't find out gender with DD and were toying with Gracen Elijah Lucas for a boy but hadn't settled on anything. I love Montgomery, Ezekiel, Ezra, Abram.
I'm Jasmine and I have a sister JaNae and my brothers are Ryan, Drue, Durk, Isaiah and Christian.
Happy naming
#43 of 55 Old 04-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
How are you pronouncing this?
It rhymes with face. More normal spelling are Jace and Jayce. We were spelling it Jaece because ae's are common in our family.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#44 of 55 Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM

Dd and ds have started saying 'Baby Zeke' whenever talking about or to the babe.
It is really feeling right so far, dh thinks I've paid them to say it
Even though Ezekiel it has always been on my short list, I haven't said much aboout names yet this pg but dd (9) says 'we are naming hime Zeke, and that is final" .
Dh is way out numberes and I am glad because I feel the name too.

We still have 15+ weeks though... so.... things change AND the name needs to fit at birth IYKWIM.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#45 of 55 Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimestersdoula View Post
It rhymes with face. More normal spelling are Jace and Jayce. We were spelling it Jaece because ae's are common in our family.
Ah, ok. I was thinking it was more like "Jay-cee". If it was for a boy, I think I'd assume that Jaece was a nickname for Jason if I heard it.

I LOVE Natalia Jeanae.

caffix.gif
#46 of 55 Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM

I think we have our name! DH and I had a hard time agreeing, but here's our final pick:

Aurora (Rory) Evelyn

Whew! Glad that's taken care of. One less thing to suck up all my time on the internet...instead of doing laundry (like right now).

Andrea , wife to Mark , mama to Taylor Elise (2) and Aurora Evelyn (born 8/17/10!)
#47 of 55 Old 04-02-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
Ah, ok. I was thinking it was more like "Jay-cee". If it was for a boy, I think I'd assume that Jaece was a nickname for Jason if I heard it.

I LOVE Natalia Jeanae.
Thank you

When I used to babysit a little boy named Jayce years ago I, at first thought his name was Chase. Then his sister told me it was Jayce LOL. I have liked the name ever since.

#48 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 PM

We found out we're more than likely having a girl and decided on the name Vivian Judith. Vivian is a name we both love, and it sounds classy and elegant without being too frilly, plus it's not common.

Judith is after my grandmother who passed away from Breast Cancer when I was 4 or 5 years old. It was important for me to honor her in some way, so I figured this was the best way to go about it.
#49 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringscreenname View Post
We found out we're more than likely having a girl and decided on the name Vivian Judith. Vivian is a name we both love, and it sounds classy and elegant without being too frilly, plus it's not common.

Judith is after my grandmother who passed away from Breast Cancer when I was 4 or 5 years old. It was important for me to honor her in some way, so I figured this was the best way to go about it.
Love it!
#50 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringscreenname View Post

Ooo, I love Vivian! That's on my top 5 list, if I ever have a girl (this one's probably boy #3).

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#51 of 55 Old 04-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Afton Reanne

Nicole, wife to Sean, mother to Afton Reanne Evangeline, a natural birth at a hospital 8/17/2010 8lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.
#52 of 55 Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 AM

I have no clue what we are naming this baby. We had a boy and girl name all decided on, then days before the ultrasound DH said he's not "in love" with the girl's name anymore. So I poured over baby name websites and brought him about 50 suggestions. He veoted all but 4 of them. (He is real picky) and wants a common name. So now I have told him of the 4 that are left I like them all so it's his job to pick. But I am sort of regretting it since he's not picking. I want to know her name already. Hi choices are Katie (what we had originally decided on), Kaylee (not my first choice), Sarah, Grace. Like I said al VERY common. I guess out of those choices I like Sarah the best. But who knows what he will pick. I wanted some of my other choices to make the cut- Penelope, Charlotte, Adelle but nope

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#53 of 55 Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 PM

We really like Samantha and will probably call her Sam or Sammy. Still need a middle name though, we are open to suggestions!

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#54 of 55 Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM

loving the names, mamas!

DS is Auden Song. I love his name, and it suits him so well.

We're likely having a girl this time, and think we will use the girl name we picked when i was pregnant with Auden: Adeline Hope.

This means we may have an Audie and an Addy on our hands, but that is okay with me.

I also love Fiona and Ruby...

-megan
#55 of 55 Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnfairy76 View Post
I'm seeing some really nice names here!! Franjapany, I love your sons name! Noah and Orion are both names I love and tried to convince DH on, but no luck so far.

Benjamin
Gabriel
Elijah
Our boy name is Orion Gabriel. For girl names we are kind of stumped. We used the girl name I liked for our daughter and neither of us have a strong opinion for a second name. He gets to pick the boy name and he is 100% set on Orion. Good thing I like it well enough.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page