Name Thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With all the ultrasound results pouring in has anybody decided on a name?

I think we are going to go back to our original boy name and a newly discovered middle name;

Hayden Sky

As much as I love the name, I just don't think I can get away with naming a boy Sophie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 55 Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 PM

I like it, Limette. Are you pronouncing it like the composer or like it sounds? I LOVE it pronounced "hyden".

We aren't finding out, but are going with our gut for boy. Not sure on names yet.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#3 of 55 Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, he may not appreciate being called Sophie.

We have a for sure first name, although it doesn't have a set spelling yet. The middle name is still up in the air.

We keep ours a secret from people IRL because we don't want to hear any comments about it and it's kind of fun to have a surprise for people after the birth since we already know the gender. Since there are some people IRL who know me on here too, I have to keep it a secret from you ladies too!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 55 Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

It'll be pronounced the way it sounds. So not like the composer.

We've had this name picked out for a decade now and I was starting to waffle on it because of the "den" popularity right now. Dh insists that this is the name so unless something else catches our attention, Hayden it is!
#5 of 55 Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I don't like our little guy would like being called Lucy either

I like Hayden. After all the -den (Aiden, Braden, Caden etc..) boys names being so popular over the last few years Hayden is still one you don't hear too often.

We are thinking either Dillon or Ian. Middle names are not set but we like Ernesto or Carlos best so far. We set up a pattern of using an Irish/Scottish/Welsh/English first name & a Hispanic middle name based on DH & I's ancestry. DS1 is Gavin Diego & DS2 is Rhys Mateo.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 55 Old 03-28-2010, 02:02 PM

I think I am having a problem with too many names on my list - like 20 names plus similar names listed next to the 20. I have completely exhausted nymbler.com so I think my list is done. My partner doesn't really veto at all though so I'm going to have to rank them or pull them out of a hat or something.
Years ago I really wanted to name a daughter Rowan Mae but I'm sure that won't be the name for this baby (I can just feel that it doesn't fit her.) I also used to like the name Frankie for a girl but then I named my cat that so... yeah. Hhahaha.
#7 of 55 Old 03-28-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMorgan View Post
Years ago I really wanted to name a daughter Rowan Mae but I'm sure that won't be the name for this baby (I can just feel that it doesn't fit her.) I also used to like the name Frankie for a girl but then I named my cat that so... yeah. Hhahaha.
I love Rowan for a girl. It was on my boys list (out of desperation) but I just couldn't use it for a boy.
#8 of 55 Old 03-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I think I am having a problem with too many names on my list - like 20 names plus similar names listed next to the 20. I have completely exhausted nymbler.com so I think my list is done. My partner doesn't really veto at all though so I'm going to have to rank them or pull them out of a hat or something.
Personally I am not a fan of traditonally boys names for girls. It is way to hard to find a real 'boy name' (that isn't super common) anymore because of this. But that is just me & my struggle having to name 3 boys

I would suggest continueing to narrow your list or even rank the names, but then wait until after baby is born to really decide. If you decide on 1 name it may not feel right for baby once you see baby.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#9 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Right now, we are kind of "putting off" thinking about names. I mean, it's always in the back of my head, and a couple of months ago I even checked a stack of baby name books out from the library, but nothing I found really felt like "the name."

We are not finding out the gender, but I have definite "boy feelings." The one boy name I am really partial to right now is Luca August. I REALLY like August, but I'm not sure about using it for a first name. I think my husband likes Luca because he is a big Godfather fan... "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes." Before this pregnancy, we had preferred short, strong boys' names, like Sam, Max, Jack, etc. But I am not feeling it for this baby.

I have a long list of girls' names that I love, but unfortunately, DH and I always clash over girls' names. My first pg ended in miscarriage, but for it, DH was absolutely IN LOVE with the name Olive, which I like too. However, he says that he feels like it was that baby's name, not this one's, and I can respect that. Other girl names on my "love" list:

Eliza
Violet
Bronwyn
Wren
Audrey

So, in other words, for the time being, we're stuck. Oh well... I have 4-5 more months, right???

Amanda, livin' and lovin' in Memphis w/ Brandon & Eliza (8.15.10)! 6/2009.
#10 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallanimal View Post
Luca August. I REALLY like August, but I'm not sure about using it for a first name.
I like that. I'm kind of into month names right now, and I like August for a boy. Luca is really nice, too. I was kind of hoping for a June baby so I could have a little girl named June. I guess we could do Augustine, but we're pretty sure that this little girl is

Fiona Louise.

We are usually very, very secretive with names, but we've started telling a few people, and it still feels right. Fiona is just a name we like, and Louise is DH's grandmother's name.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#11 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
My sister-in-law named her daughter Sophie even though her cat was named Sophia. She figured that the cat was old and would die before the baby was old enough to realize she and the cat had virtually the same name. The girl is 8 now -- I think the cat died a long time ago, so the plan seemed to work

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#12 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
I like Hayden. After all the -den (Aiden, Braden, Caden etc..) boys names being so popular over the last few years Hayden is still one you don't hear too often.
Agreed!

Quote:
I also used to like the name Frankie for a girl but then I named my cat that so... yeah. Hhahaha.
Heehee, my parents had a cat named Cassie. Just a year or 2 after she died they had my sister and named her Cassidy...not for any reason other than they really liked the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
Fiona Louise.

We are usually very, very secretive with names, but we've started telling a few people, and it still feels right. Fiona is just a name we like, and Louise is DH's grandmother's name.
Love it!! Fiona is one of my faves and Louise sounds so pretty with it.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#13 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I would suggest continueing to narrow your list or even rank the names, but then wait until after baby is born to really decide. If you decide on 1 name it may not feel right for baby once you see baby.
I just have to say if you can't decide on names this is a great strategy...BUT, when I had DS2 I looked at him and thought..."OMgoodness, I'm going to name him EZRA?? He's just a baby! Ezra doesn't fit at all." I *almost stuck James as a middle name (which is also a family name) because I thought we could call him Jimmy, but I had to fill out the SS papers before I could discuss it with DH. Now, there is no way he could have been anything BUT an Ezra and I'm so glad I didn't go with my initial response. So if you have a particular name that you love, don't let yourself be talked out of it just because your baby doesn't "look the part". Just from experience

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#14 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 PM

I just posted about this on Facebook!

We picked names!!

When we were pregnant with DD we had the name Jaece picked out for a boy. We always said that if we ever ended up having a boy, that he would be named Jaece. Well we now know a guy named Jaece so I can't bring myself to use that name anymore.

DH really really loves the name Natalia and I have to say it has really grown on me so if we have a girl, Natalia Jeanae it will be. Jeanae is my middle name and was taken from my grandma's name, Jeanie.

If we have a boy, we have decided on the name Bode Keam. We both love the name Bode and Keam is a middle name we were going to use if we had a boy last pg. It is the first letter of all the men that are important to us. Kenneth, DH's uncle. Edward, my dad. Arthur, my grandpa and Michael, DH's dad.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#15 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't like our little guy would like being called Lucy either

We are thinking either Dillon or Ian. Middle names are not set but we like Ernesto or Carlos best so far. We set up a pattern of using an Irish/Scottish/Welsh/English first name & a Hispanic middle name based on DH & I's ancestry. DS1 is Gavin Diego & DS2 is Rhys Mateo.
I have an Ian. I love it. It's funny how names are; when dh was born yrs ago, both my parents and IL's were so not into his name. Then it started growing in use and they all love it. We had another name picked out for ds and he just was not that name. (We're thinking of using it this time it we have a boy)

We used to have alot of girl names but now only two stick out...Adalaide (Ada) and Meg. I really like Jack too. If I had twins, I'd use Meg and Jack. I think they go well together without being too matchy...although I do like Adalaide and Alexander--calling them Ada and Zander.

So there! If I have twins, I'm all set!

I did just ILL another name book--the sequel to Beyond Jennifer and Jason: Beyond Ava and Aiden, so we'll see.

(We're not finding out, but suspect BOY) Only 21 more weeks and we'll know!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#16 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 PM

I am so addicted to names right now. Some original/don't hear much names I know personally (friends, family's babies) are Jael (jay-elle), Jobi, Jovi, Jake and Mac.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#17 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM

We are having a girl and right now our front runner is Molly. Also on our list is Quinn, Scout and Poppy. Realllly liking Molly though.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#18 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallanimal View Post
The one boy name I am really partial to right now is Luca August. I REALLY like August, but I'm not sure about using it for a first name. I think my husband likes Luca because he is a big Godfather fan... "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes."
I have a Luka. It's a little more common than I expected it to be-- I've met two other Luca/Luka's since I had him. I still love it, though.
My oldest is Julian Elijah and surprisingly, we haven't met any other boys named Julian, even though you'd think it wasn't that unusual. I actually don't like the name Elijah but his dad picked it.

We've picked Edith for our new baby, but no middle name yet.

I like so many of the names you all have posted! Molly is really cute, Wren, Audrey, Frankie. My husband likes Louise as a middle name for this one, too, but I think Louise sounds too much like Luka.
#19 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 PM

If this baby surprises us and turns out to be a girl after all, there's a pretty good chance it'll end up Audrey Elanor. The ultrasounds leaned boy though, so I'm pulling for Timothy Edward for the moment. DH's only suggestion so far has been Sebastian, which I'm less keen on. I have so many girl names I like but have used up all the boy names I've thought of.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#20 of 55 Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoafireteam View Post
We are having a girl and right now our front runner is Molly. Also on our list is Quinn, Scout and Poppy. Realllly liking Molly though.
I love Poppy! Quinn is nice too.
#21 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM

AMAZING NAMES MAMAS!!!!!

Well, we had our girl name~ Violet Jane, dh wanted to use it for ds and dd2 but we didn't, so I said if she was a girl and it fit her we could name her that.
But... we've been told this is a little boy and I've been feeling "Ezra' since ds1. If we use Ezra it would be Ezra Sky~ that was it 7 years ago .
Lately I've been loving Tovi and especially Zeke (Ezekiel). DD1 is 9 and really loves Zeke and wants to name him that. Dh says it is a name for a man who is 125 . Seriously?! Like I've said before, dh has no suggestions just bashes mine. It doesn't really matter though, I do the naming when it comes down to it.
My other dc are Anna, Samuel, Naomi and they all have nature middle names.
I am open to suggestions .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#22 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 AM

I think DH is going to agree to Romy Clover!!
He's wanted Romy Calliope for years and even though I love Calliope, I don't like it with the name Romy.
I suggested Clover and said that she would be our fourth kid, she's a total surprise and since she's a girl, she evened us out...our own little four leaf clover . I overheard him asking his mother what she thought last night. Apparently she likes it...hee hee hee.

#23 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFay View Post
I think DH is going to agree to Romy Clover!!
He's wanted Romy Calliope for years and even though I love Calliope, I don't like it with the name Romy.
I suggested Clover and said that she would be our fourth kid, she's a total surprise and since she's a girl, she evened us out...our own little four leaf clover . I overheard him asking his mother what she thought last night. Apparently she likes it...hee hee hee.
WOOT!!! You've loved it from the beginning!!! AWESOME name!!!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#24 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 11:55 AM

Trimesterdoula~ Is Bode pronounced Bhodi, like the tree? My dp thought Bhodi waould be a good name, I mentioned I had a friend who's son's name is Bhodi. He's a very sweet and loving child. So then he decided he didnt' like the name since someone else already had it. Yet his name is David and suggested if it's a boy we name it David.

I think we're at:

Liam if it's a boy

Anya if it's a girl

It took 3 months to get those kinda okayed. No luck yet for middle names.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#25 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
Trimesterdoula~ Is Bode pronounced Bhodi, like the tree? My dp thought Bhodi waould be a good name, I mentioned I had a friend who's son's name is Bhodi. He's a very sweet and loving child. So then he decided he didnt' like the name since someone else already had it. Yet his name is David and suggested if it's a boy we name it David.

I think we're at:

Liam if it's a boy

Anya if it's a girl

Yep! Pronounced like the Bodhi Tree, only Bode is the german spelling. Both DH and I are german.

Its actually kind of funny because DH's brother and his wife just had a little boy they named Jake. DH told his brother that he should have named him Luke so if we have a boy we could name him Bo. Like Bo and Luke Duke from the Dukes of Hazzard LMAO!!! DH really likes the name Bo but Im not so into it so I figured Bode would work great because then if DH wanted to, he could still call him Bo for short.

I LOVE the name Anya. It is beautiful!

#26 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think we're at:

Liam if it's a boy

Anya if it's a girl

How are you pronouncing Anya? I knew a girl in highschool with that name and it was pronounced On-ya.
#27 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I think we're at:

Liam if it's a boy

Anya if it's a girl

Ooooh I also like the name Liam. How did I miss that you had put that as your boys name. I was at the birth of a little guy named Liam and he is soooo sweet and adorable!!!

My sister just figured she'd write me to tell me that she liked the name Elyse. I told her no way because I knew a girl in elementary school that was named Elyse and her and I never got along and she ate glue LOL. I hate that you always associate a name to a person with the same name. Then my sister told me that it wasnt pronounced the way I thought it was, that she was spelling it eh-leese but it was pronounced elle-iss. Like Jason Ellis. As much as I like Jason Ellis I would never name a baby girl after him LOL.

#28 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM

The only name we can agree on for the moment is Cian. I am afraid people will be confused how to pronounce it. I could also spell it Kian. The middle name will be Patrick after my brother who is my hero or Joseph which is DH's father's middle name and his grandfather's first name. We had agreed on Cade at the beginning but I kind of got sick of it.

Dh likes Ewan. That is OK. He also likes Cayden (too common) and Brody (I don't feel it)

I like Oliver, Oscar, Colin, Emmett, and Lennan. DH hates them all

So far we have Cian Patrick!!! or Cian Joseph. I keep saying the name over and over to be sure I really like it. It is definitely a name we settled on and not one I love. That is how we did the other boys so it could work.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#29 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM

we are pretty set on Sophia for a girl (nor sure about the spelling yet though). It was the only and first name DH and I could agree on and we both love it. when I suggested it we were going for a walk and it was snowing and this perfect snowflake landed on my sleeve and we both watched it melt away. I think I was about 5 weeks pregnant or so

In German it is pronounced so-phee-ya. Now we are still looking for good second names. I'd like something short, one syllable and maybe nature inspired. DS is called Noah Orion Leopold, so we'd like to go for a matching secong name for Sophia as well.

Absolutely NO IDEA whatsoever what we would call the bean if she turned out to be a boy after all...

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#30 of 55 Old 03-30-2010, 04:08 PM

We are having a hard time with girl's names. We have always like Eleanor for a girl, but I am not completely sure I want to use it now that we are actually having a girl I am having difficulty with the "nor " part of Eleanor because the beginning of our last name is Moor so it would be like nor moor. The rhyming is annoying me.

The other name we are thinking about is Nico. We have talked about the name before, but honestly forgot about it when we were name brain storming until a friend reminded us of it. I really like it. It is commonly a boys name, and there are alternative "girl" spellings, but we prefer this one. We cant settle on a middle name for it though. It is hard to imagine my dad saying Nico.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page