Spotlight on... KimKim! March 28-31 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-27-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a few questions to get you started... feel free to add more info to this!

EDD:
Name:
Family:
Baby's Gender (hopes or guesses):
Names you like:Secret!
Birth Plans/Preferences:
Strangest craving/aversion this pregnancy:
Hobbies/Interests:
How you met your SO:
How you ended up at MDC:

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#2 of 8 Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM

EDD: Aug 18
Name: Kim
Family: DH, 2.5yr old shelter dog with a lotta love
Baby's Gender (hopes or guesses): we'll find out 4/3!

Names you like: Not ready to discuss, but we can't agree on a boy name. DH is in love with Xeno...the girl name was set years ago by me.

Birth Plans/Preferences: Birthcenter. hoping to be strong enough to not want to be knocked out by drugs. having my iud inserted i almost passed out.

Strangest craving/aversion this pregnancy: 1st trimester aversions: salad, salt, sugar, fat, anything that was in the fridge or pantry when i opened the door. cravings: fruit! and cheese. i've been borderline vegan for the past few years (vegetarian for 14 years) and once i became pregnant nothing would do except mac and cheese and string cheese. i'm listening to my body and try not to worry about nutrition all the time (i'm really into food) so adding dairy back in is what i need right now. i think the first 5 lbs i gained were from cheese though, not from the baby! that's it so far for cravings. i'm so happy to not have the aversions now that most food makes me happy if i'm not in the kitchen too long. the hardest thing for me is remembering to eat every couple of hours. without fail my blood sugar drops, i lose the ability to make decisions and go crazy. i carry nuts in my pocket all the time but i'm finding i need a meal, snacks don't do it.

Hobbies/Interests: knitting, hiking, reading, movies. before pg: beer! living in the land of micro-brews is going to be hard this summer. i used to rock climb a bit (haven't since moving here 2 years ago, we don't have a group of outdoorsy friends like we used to) and i was really into aerial arts (tissu, rope, trapeze) but i avoided it 1st trimester mostly due to exhaustion and now i have energy but i'm afraid to climb high.

Occupation: baker with 2 jobs-artisan organic bread and vegan pastries.

How you met your SO: at a bullfight. in spain. on easter sunday. i was in the wrong seat. days before i decided i was done with boys, done with spain and changed my flight to go home early (study abroad). then i met DH.

How you ended up at MDC:friend told me her DDC really helped her through her pregnancies having a supportive fun community

DD: 8/10

#3 of 8 Old 03-28-2010, 01:20 PM

Hi kimkim!!

What were you studying in Spain? And what did you think of Spain?

What's your dream holiday destination?

How did you become a baker?

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#4 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 AM

What were you studying in Spain? And what did you think of Spain?

I minored in Spanish in college, so I took basic classes taught in Spanish (art history was the most interesting, it helps that the teacher was amazing) mostly literature, grammar, cultural stuff etc.
I thought Spain was an interesting place. It's a big country with varied terrain, the mediterranean coastal areas are beautiful, the history is amazing, the architecture in Barcelona is really cool. I lived in Granada, which is an old-world city, not as modern as madrid but i preferred it. I could walk everywhere. I love the concept of tapas and delicious cheap wine. I had a hard time with the food, vegetarianism isn't really an understood or easy concept there. Lots of pig, bread and olive oil. Not a big emphasis on veggies, beans or grains other than wheat. Luckily I met my husband there and he had an apt with a kitchen so I was able to get what I wanted at the market and eat well with him my last month or so. I lived with a family and they weren't very welcoming so that was an uncomfortable situation but I know people that had great living situations. I was just too shy to do anything about it. I loved having a siesta and being away from the go-go-go of life that we have in the US. Overall it was great and if I was to return I'd go to the mediterranean and barcelona in a second. But honestly there's other places I'd rather travel to first.

What's your dream holiday destination?

That's a long list! I love to travel and I guess top on my list right now is Thailand, India, Denmark/Scandinavia, and Italy if the Euro wasn't so strong.

How did you become a baker?

I went to college for Natural Resources Management (Enviro Science, basically) and worked in the field for a few years and realized I was wrecking havoc on my body and making no money. So I decided I might as well be a baker and wreck havoc and make no money...seriously, I got so burnt out on the grunt labor that is data collection and realized (no one tells you in college) that if I wanted to move up in my field or do less monotonous work I would need a master's or probably a phd the way things are now. My last enviro job I worked for a timber company doing research on fish in their streams. Basically if there was a certain species of fish in the water, we had to find out where it ended and mark the boundaries so when they clear cut the beautiful forest, they would leave a few extra trees for fish habitat. It was depressing and the days were long and gruesome (i was caught in lightning storms, had to walk over dangerous log jams and climb some waterfalls which freaked me out) and basically it burnt me out on nature, which was my passion and i loved going to school for it but i wanted to spend all the weekends on the couch drinking beer. I decided that wasn't the life for me and I wasn't ready to do a master's in a field i wasn't certain about (jobs are few and far between) and I found my free time was spent in the kitchen. So I went to a community college culinary school and received an amazing education and am still passionate about food (except the 1st trimester) and get to spend my weekends in the woods, which I now enjoy. Baking is hard work but satisfying. I don't know what I'm going to do after the baby comes. I can't imagine going back to work but might need to. It might be time to find a kid-friendly job, or a job with more flexible hours. I'm trying not to freak out about all of that now, but it's in the back of my head.

#5 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 AM

Hello again, fellow Portlander!

Aerial Arts? Ooooh.....swooon...I'm completely fascinated by tissu and Spanish Web, but have never tried, fearing I'm not a lithe little gymnast build. How long have you been doing it?

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#6 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post
Hello again, fellow Portlander!

Aerial Arts? Ooooh.....swooon...I'm completely fascinated by tissu and Spanish Web, but have never tried, fearing I'm not a lithe little gymnast build. How long have you been doing it?
Hi Pdx! I too am enamored by all things aerial. You should give it a try! (maybe after the baby...) You don't need a gymnast build (I've seen all shapes, sizes, ages in my classes.)and I find the best way to train for it is to do it. I have a friend who runs and does weights and I"m sure that helps but it's a very unique muscle/endurance building that makes me feel so amazing after a class. It's a fun workout-I have friends that teach near lower north portland www.nightflight.com that used to perform with my teacher in Seattle. The space is small but they are great teachers (and great performers). I got into it in 2006 in Seattle and my main desire was to learn cord lisse. I saw it performed the previous year at Teatro Zinzanni in Seattle and it was enough to motivate me to find classes. I ended up working on doubles trapeze in 2007 (if you want to see our little performance at a benefit show, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3wYh6bty0M I'm the once that gets on the trap second) but since I moved to Portland I've wanted to focus on tissu (as my trapeze partner is still in Seattle and I wouldn't entrust my safety to just anyone). I haven't been as committed since I moved to Portland, but whenever I make time to go I'm glad I did and my body feels the benefits. It's a lot of abs, lats and shoulders. I'm sure this is more info than you wanted! But seriously, if you are interested after the babies come, we could take a class together.

#7 of 8 Old 03-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Wow! That video was awesome! That looks like SO much fun! Might be a really great way to get my abs back (and motivation to do so right!) after this babe! Thanks for sharing that! I'm a rower, and that would be really fun "cross-training" and MORE motivation to get back to lifting.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#8 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 AM

if you are a rower you already have plenty of upper body strength. you'll love it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page