Grandparent names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is kind of weird but I really REALLY don't want my parents or my partners parents to go by grandma and granddad. I don't think they will mind AT ALL (in fact i've already been told so..) but I can't think of many neat suggestions for grandparent names. I had a grandma and granddad as well as a nanny and papaw. Any other grandparent names you use or heard used?
#2 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM

I had a Mammaw (mam-maw) and Pappaw and a Nanny & Granddaddy. My parents go by Gran and Griz by their choice. And I think I'm going to have my kids call DH's parents Nana and Pop-pop.

Nonni is another cute grandmother name and I have a grown girlfriend who has always called her grandmother "G-maw".

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#3 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 03:13 PM
MJB

My kids call my mom and stepdad Grandma Jeanne and Grandpa George. My oldest calls his dad's parents Grandma Angie and Grandpa Peter. They call my MIL G-mama (which I think is stupid, but whatev) and my FIL Granddaddy.

I had a Grandmother, Granddaddy, Grandpa, and Nana.

I think I want to be called Grams when I get there.
#4 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 03:48 PM

We have:
My mom- mimi
her boyfriend/partner whatever he is haha- papa
my dad- tiny grampie (i have no idea why he started calling him that)
my dad's fiancee- grammy laurie
my MIL - nana
my FIL - grampie or tough grampie (again no idea how he came up with that lol)

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#5 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM

There are so many options out there! Just google grandparent names and you'll have tons to choose from!
One of my favorites is Omi, which I think is German. There's Nana, Gram, MeMe, MorMor, Farmor (mother's mother and father's mother) Grammoon...
Papa, Gramps, MorFar, Farfar, Opi...
So many choices it's fun to think about all the options!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#6 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 05:42 PM

My parents go by nana and papa. My in laws are granma and grandpa, but ds cant figure out how to say that so he calls them mama and papa. He calls me mama too, but changes the way he says it when referring to grandma. He makes his voice go all rough to say it. My mom and dad also thought about going by nonna and poppi.
#7 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM

My parents are Grandma and Grandpa.

DH's parents are nai nai (paternal grandmother in Chinese - pronounced [nye nye]) and ye ye (paternal grandfather in Chinese - pronounced [yeh yeh])
#8 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 09:44 PM

My parents are Nana and Papa. MIL and FIL are Grandma and Grandpa.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#9 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 PM

ddc-crashing to say that my niece calls my parents gma and gpa - it sounds like 'jeema' and 'jeepa'

and since my moms middle name is 'jo' she goes by 'gma jo'

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#10 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 PM

Visiting from September's DDC...

I read a book a long time ago by Robert Fulghum. He tells a story about a lady who didn't want to be grandma, so she picked "Delilah." Her husband couldn't very well be Grandpa after she was Delilah, so he became "Fritz" (which couldn't be further from his true name).

So, Fritz and Delilah they were.

You can pick anything...

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#11 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM

I like unique names, where the person's first name is mixed with a "gramma" or "grandpa" or something. Such as, my mom's name was Jan, which we mixed with "Grammy" and came up with "Jammy". She was involved in designing her own grandma name, which made it very personal. It also helped not having to say two words, i.e. "Grandma Jan" when talking about mom's mom, versus "Grandma Deloris" for dad's mom. Just one word got across who we were talking about. (Of course, not all names lend themselves to this hybrid method as well as others - you may have to get creative to do it.)

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#12 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM

Visiting from the May DDC!

My 2yo calls his grandparents Grandma, Grandpa, and Nana (he only has close contact with the three).

I love some of the cute ideas I've seen here, too!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#13 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM

We've got a Grammy & Poppa (which I hated since I always called my Dad Papa and struggled with thinking it was a bit creepy calling my FIL Poppa as his grandfather name... but it wasn't my choice). My parent's are Oga & Kique (Kee-kay), their choices and loosely derived from the cultures where they grew up.... and then mushed up through the mouths of babes I called my grandparents Grandmama & Grandpapa and Opa & Nana. DH had Grandma & Grandpa for both sides, using the last name to clarify which Grandma they were talking about.

I agree with you that Grandma and Grandpa are kinda boring... and if you're the first and no one cares, have fun naming them! But, in our families, we were not the first and each set had strong opinions about their names so we had no say in the matter. And that was ok, cause after all, it's not my name

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#14 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 PM

I had the exact same problem and ended up writing a book of Grandparent Names to try to alleviate the naming stress for others :-) If you're still in need of inspiration, my book is called You Can Call Me Hoppa! The Grandparents' Guide to Choosing a Name that Fits. We now have a PawPaw, Gramma, Gramme and Hoppa! Good luck!
#15 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 PM

We don't talk to dh's parents but mine are Poo-pah and Nawny. These are evolved from Boom-pa (my aunt read a book with that as the grandfather's name) and Nonnie but the way he used to say it was Naw-Naw so we changed the spelling.

Its funny bc whatever you choose will evolve into something else. I mean heck, my poor dad is "Poop" sometimes for short. And then we all laugh when we realize what we just called him.

Kelly, wife to J and mama to our precious A, HE'S 5! and the parasite will emerge on or before Sept 24, 2010!
#16 of 27 Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 PM

We called my parents "grandma" and "grandpa" and DD renamed them "grammie" and "papa" So, grammie and papa it is

DH's parents are Portuguese, so they go by va-voh and va-voo.

Are your or your partner's parents from any particular culture? Most have different names you can use.

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
#17 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 AM

I grew up with all grandmas and grandpas, which I didn't think anything of then, but it's confusing to me now for my kids; my grandma _ is their great grandma_, ect. DH has a grams and papa. Oh, my maternal great gandfather went by granddad, which I thought odd at the time, because I never knew anything other than grandpa. He said he was never called father or pa, just dad, so he wasn't going to be called grandfather or grandpa, just granddad.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#18 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 AM

My kids have Nanny and Papa, GG and Papa, Maw-Maw and Grampa and Papa and Jama (jam-maw...grandma+Janet)

Honestly, Cain just kind of named them by himself once he started speaking.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#19 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 AM

My parents are still deciding, but the current favourites are Nan-Jan (her name is Jan) and Oz-pop (because they live in Australia).

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#20 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM

My young, hip mom didn't want to be called grandma or anything else traditional. She picked LaMa- she likes llamas, her name is LAura, and combine with Ma.
#21 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Our children are only really close to my parents. My parents are fairly young, and have been a huge part of our children's lives. They are called Nana and Papa.

My husbands parents, his mother and stepfather (remarried after his dad died) are grandma and grandpa..and they are sort of this detached/selfish couple of people who don't put any time/effort into knowing the kids. So, for me, the "grandma and grandpa" name conveys a role they play because they "have to"...not that they really love it.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#22 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM

ddcc...

my mom is nana, my dad is gramps, mil is grandma, fil is papa.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#23 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 PM

DH's parents are Nana and Papa...names put in place long before my kids came around by their older cousins.
On my side, my kids are the only grandkids, so my oldest seemed to dictate the names. They call my mother "Ma" although every once in a while DS1 will say "Grammy" and my father has a few names. When DS1 was a baby we called him "Boom-Boom" because he has this very deep voice that calmed my son. As DS1 got older, he changed it to "Boom-Pa". My daughter calls him "Boompie" and DS2 calls him "Boom-poo"

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#24 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Personally, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with Grandma and Granpa, but oddly enough, I never had any by that name, neither did DH, and neither does DD. Well, actually, DD has one Grandpa, but she struggles with saying it, so it comes out all sorts of ways. Here's what we have:

Nonna and Poppa
LuLu and Grandpa (Grandpa's name still evolving)

I had a Granny and a Grandmother (total opposites, I know!) and a Papa and a PawPaw. Those latter two always got mixed up in my mind, and I'd have to stop and think.

The only thing I'm opposed to is having the same names on both sides of the family. When DD tries to say "Grandpa" it sounds like "Poppa" so they keep wanting to make it that, but I'm putting my foot down. She already has one Poppa.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#25 of 27 Old 03-29-2010, 06:45 PM

We have all sorts of names in my family. My Mom's parents are Grandmom and Grandpop (Grandma and Grandpa for short). My Dad's parents were MomMom and PopPop. When my parents became grandparents, they became Grammie and PapPap. While the distinction is there... it's still confusing that my Dad is PapPap and his dad was PopPop. My husband has 2 sets of Grandma and Grandpa. When you refer to them you use their last name. So, when his parents became grandparents they became Grandma (first name) and Grandpa (first name). Our son also calls his paternal great-grandparents by Grandma and Grandpa with their first names. It is really confusing! lol We are trying to drop the first names when he is with them or talking to them, but at 7, he is too used to it. With baby #2 on the way, we thought it would be better to try and stop the boys from using their grandparents first names, but I'm not so sure how easy that will be.
#26 of 27 Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 AM

My mom is Nana or Nanny.
My dad is Grand-dad.
MIL and step-FIL are Grandma and Opa (he's German)
FIL and step-MIL are Grand-dad and L (her own name)
My grandparents are Lala and Papa.
DH's grandparents are supposed to be 'great-grand-dad' and 'great-granny' but DD has taken to calling them by their own names as they're a lot shorter and easier to say!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#27 of 27 Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Nana, and her mother was Nanamom
Grandpa
Grammy and Granddad
GrandmaGreat (great grandmother)

Cece and Poppy

I love LaMa~ that is adorable

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page