Any crocheters in the group? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just curious if anyone else in our DDC likes to crochet?

It's kind of like sewing for me...I did it some when I was younger, but hadn't picked it up in a long while. I just got my hook out a few days ago and picked up some wool yarn at Joanns.

I'm making at wool sleep sack/cocoon thing and am about 1/3 of the way done with it! I would love to make a little hat for the bean as well, but I have no idea how. I'm mostly self-taught, so I have no idea how to read a pattern or do more than just the basic stitch. Anyone know of baby hat instructions that use crocheting lingo?

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#2 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't learned how to crochet, but I do knit. On ravelry.com I did a quick search in the pattern browser for crochet baby hats and there are quite a few to choose from, and free ones, too. Maybe you'll have some luck there.

Make sure you post pics of your crocheted cocoon!

Mama to a little man who arrived early on 7/18/10! DS2 due in October 2013.

#3 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM

Yeah I was going to suggest Ravelry! I mostly knit (-er spin tons of yarn for work but thats a whole other thing!) but when I do crochet I don't use patterns either. I do more of a "free-form" thing.
For doing free form though you'd need some kind of measurements.. I've been trying to find a good source of measurements for NB/3-6 month/6-12 month heads for sewn bonnets and I cannot find ANYTHING online! Its nuts!
#4 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I do free form too. I found a little tutorial video online that I used to get the hat started, and then am just kind of seeing what I make. I found the measurements for the average head circumference of newborn heads and am making sure I make it that big. We'll see what comes of this!

The cocoon is proving to be super-easy, just time consuming. I'm making it 20 inches around and 20 inches long. I'll put a little drawstring at the top and bottom to keep it on her. It's hot pink! I love girly stuff!

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png

#5 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMorgan View Post
Yeah I was going to suggest Ravelry! I mostly knit (-er spin tons of yarn for work but thats a whole other thing!) but when I do crochet I don't use patterns either. I do more of a "free-form" thing.
For doing free form though you'd need some kind of measurements.. I've been trying to find a good source of measurements for NB/3-6 month/6-12 month heads for sewn bonnets and I cannot find ANYTHING online! Its nuts!

Maybe see if there's one for sale on etsy that tells you the dimensions???

#6 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM

I am just learning. I made a cute little green hat this weekend without a pattern, just kinda guessing and backing up when it wasn't working so well. Basically I know like 3 stitches, and then when I want something different I go online and look for a video or set of pictures that show me how to do something (I can't for the life of me keep how to do decreases in my head so everytime I start my first row of decreases I have to go look it up!)

I love the idea of doing a sleep sack in crochet - I may have to make that my next project - I have a metric TON of yarn thanks to my sister and my Knifty Knitter loom obsession of two winters back.

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#7 of 10 Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM

Yep, I'm a crocheter as well, my first love. Learned to knit a few years ago. I recently made a pale yellow baby blanket (crochet), it is cute. Then found out we are having a boy, so am now putting on a frilly edge, using camouflage yarn. I'll post a photo when done.

I like the idea of making a cocoon for the babe, that would be a fun project. Although, I would probably end up knitting it, since that art form uses less yarn then crocheting.

I second Ravelry as a good source of free patterns and inspiration, gonna head over there and check it out- look for some cute hat patterns. Anyone figure out the NB dimensions yet?

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#8 of 10 Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM

I crocheted a ton of hats and blankets for DD1. I have some books and then for anything else, I just googled what I was looking for. I'll have to check out Ravelry.

I need to get going on something for DD2 so that she doesn't feel shafted when she's older.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#9 of 10 Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 AM

I'm trying to get back into crocheting. Last time I've done it was when I was 14ish and I'm 32 now.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#10 of 10 Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

I made a baby bootie! It's so tiny and cute! I figured out how to read a pattern after finding a good tutorial site online. The pattern is off ravelry (thanks for the site). I'm hoping to make a few other little things for her once I get to the store to buy more yarn.

In case anyone is interested:

Tutorial

Booties

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page