What do we NEED? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so confused and more to the point overwhelmed with what we need and don't need for our first baby. I'm sure my needs will differ from other's but I just feel clueless right now!
Okay so here's the deal - we plan on exclusively breast feeding, practicing natural infant hygiene (elimination communication), co-sleeping, baby wearing and I work from home...
I'm trying to come up with some sort of list but I just can't think! So experienced mamas.. What do we actually NEED?
So far I have on my list:
-clothes (duh, but what clothes... and I know I wont have to worry much since everyone wants to buy clothes for babies. I'm thinking shirts, not onesies, socks and legwarmers.. what else?)
-baby carrier (thinking sleepy wrap, moby, ergo?)
-breast pads of some sort, nursing tanks, nursing bras.
-car seat
-prefold diapers
-baby bjorn little potty
-wool puddle pad
-moses basket (naps? necessary?)

....and after that my brain just sort of shuts down. (I have a serious case of the baby brain!)
Thanks ladies! I find you are all so much help already and I feel so lucky to have found MDC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 AM

there's a pretty helpful thread that happened early on in this DDC that i thought was helpful. it's here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1187899
My big question is how much of each kind of clothes is the minimum? i hope to not do laundry every day...but i have no idea how many changes of clothes babies go through in each stage (nb/3/6/9 mo sizes) i have no idea what/how much to ask for in regards to clothes.
i'm not familiar with a moses basket. is it highly recommended? i'm trying to be simplistic in our purchases as well.

DD: 8/10

#3 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 AM

The number of outfits needed is hard to predict. I have barfers. We go through a LOT of clothes and urp cloths. A lot. I'd plan for 3 outfits/day on the low side... with diaper blow outs and baby puke, that number can be much much higher.

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

#4 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMorgan View Post
-clothes (duh, but what clothes... and I know I wont have to worry much since everyone wants to buy clothes for babies. I'm thinking shirts, not onesies, socks and legwarmers.. what else?)
-car seat
-prefold diapers
-baby bjorn little potty
-wool puddle pad
Here are my thoughts, coming from a very similar approach.

For clothes, I liked onesies or those long nightgown things, and legwarmers if you needed extra warmth. Those combinations seem easiest to access for the frequent on offs of EC (and cloth diapers). I liked onesies because they helped keep the covers contained, especially as DD discovered her hands. We weren't 100% EC, using prefolds with covers as "backup," which is good to consider as EC can get a little overwhelming at times, and it's good to be able to give yourself a break, especially overnight. The whole EC discussion is a great separate one though...I'm a total believer. We started at 4 months with my DD and will start earlier with this kid, but still won't be attempting "full-time" as I don't think it's necessary for success, and I have limited resources to give and maintain my sanity. Also, I made cloth wipes out of double layers of cut up old t-shirts which were GREAT, and I'm making more soon, as we use them for SO much around the house even now.

Babywearing: I have two Moby's, which were priceless. DH and I wore DD a TON, particularly because she wasn't having it with being put down to sleep by herself almost at all. Moby is very one size fits all, and super snuggly for baby. We had a cradle which we barely used due to DD's sleep preferences and a crib which also barely got used for a long time. I'm curious about a moses basket, but it would have a limited lifespan as baby starts to move/roll. We also have an Ergo, which we STILL use, with DD at 35 pounds. I got fabric and made non-stretchy wraps for doing back carries once DD hit about 6 months and 18/20 pounds, when she was too much to carry in the front for long and the Moby didn't feel secure for back carry.

One item we got a ton of use out of was one of those play gym floor mat dealies. Things to grab/look at, and a good thing to even bring along to other people's houses to have a clean, baby appropriate spot to park her.

Those are the few things that come to mind for the early months.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#5 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
MJB

That sounds like pretty much everything you'll *need*. You need some sort of diaper pail or bag to put the dirty diapers in at home and a smaller wet bag for when you go out.
As far as clothes, my boys didn't puke often so 1-2 outfits a day was fine, but some others over on the July board have said they go through many changes of clothes a day. I'm planning to have 5 tank tops, a couple skirts/shorts (1-2 of each), 3-4 gowns, a few dresses, and a swimsuit. If it is unseasonably cold (in KY in July/August, unlikely) we have pants/sweaters from my winter babies. I wasn't planning on socks or hats since it'll be hot out, although we have plenty of baby legs if she needs them (still in use by my big boys). The newborn size isn't something my kids can wear-- they are in 0-3 months from birth until 1-2 months. Oh, and don't forget sun hats!
For baby carriers, you won't be able to use the Ergo right away. I personally am not a wrap person, and like to use a pouch for the newborn period (like a Hotsling or Peanut Shell) and a mei tai once they hit 6-8 weeks. Even if I was a wrap girl, it just wouldn't be feasible in 90 degree weather!
We have a Moses basket that I used some with my oldest, rarely with my second, and probably will not use this time. We're planning to use a Montessori bed in our room for her, which is where she will nap (she'll sleep with us most of the time). I used the Moses basket in place of a baby bucket with my first-- in restaurants and so forth-- but with my second I was better at babywearing and just kept him in the sling when we were out.
For bathing are you planning on taking the baby in with you? If not, you should get a baby bathtub. We also have a mesh sling we used to shower with my last babe.
#6 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM

okay, here is one thing I never thought of before DS was here:

Breastfeeding friendly clothes! It's not too hard in summer, but it never occurred to me beforehand that I would stop wearing loads of the stuff I had, because it just didn't have easy breast access. I never was a big fan of 'pulling up', so I started looking for tops that had wide necks, were super elastic etc. Lots of cute stuff I had I didn't wear anymore, bc it was just such a pain to get to the source

just some food for thought looking at things from the mama angle.

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#7 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 AM

I agree that your list sounds like everything you'll need. I don't do EC, so I can't comment on what might work well for that, but I do suggest having LOTS of cloth wipes (made out of whatever materials you prefer) because they are great for everything. Or, buy a BUNCH of newborn prefolds. Again, you can use them for everything.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my moby wrap. Especially for newborns. You can keep them all snuggled up to your chest and they feel so secure. I recommend getting a light colored one, especially since it's going to be summer time. I bought a black one (b/c I'm a black kind of girl) and it got a bit hot in the sun even in September and also showed things like drool a lot. I personally hate pocket slings. I think a moby wrap and maybe a ring sling are a great combination. I know people who hate those and swear by the pockets, so I think you may have to play around. Word of warning, the moby wrap takes a little getting used to, but is well worth the effort.

As far as changing clothes, it depends. I think it's safe to have enough basics for 2-3 outfit changes a day, just to be safe, if you don't want to be doing laundry a lot. I also have to say that gowns are great for newborns, ime. My babies all liked to keep their legs together and feel the skin on skin, plus it made diaper changes so much easier (and would probably be easy with EC, too?)

For sleeping, the only thing I ever used is a flat co-sleeper that just basically was a mat with hard sides to give baby a defined sleeping area while in bed with two adults. I only used that for DS2, though. All other babies slept in my arms or a bassinet at the side of the bed (which got hardly any use). For naps around the house, my little one always slept on a bed that I made on the couch (of course, under supervision) or a swing that we got with DS1. It doesn't acutally work (swing) anymore, but most of my kids enjoyed the way it held them, so we'd use it for naps during the day. I wore DS2 a lot in my moby wrap, also.

For BF, A nursing bra is important in the beginning but I NEVER bought nursing clothes. I always wore 2 layers, a tight fitting, low cut tank top under a loose, lightweight shirt. The top layers goes up, the bottom layer goes down. Covers all skin and the shirt on top covers most of your breast if you're modest about nursing in public, too. A manual breastpump may or may not be helpful for a first time nurser (it was for me, but I had a exceptionally difficult time establishing a BF relationship with my oldest).

It's amazing how LITTLE you actually need.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#8 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 PM

[/QUOTE]

It's going to vary. I had a baby in December and one in April and this is what I used.

From your list:

-clothes (duh, but what clothes... and I know I wont have to worry much since everyone wants to buy clothes for babies. I'm thinking shirts, not onesies, socks and legwarmers.. what else?) We did onesies and sleepers. Socks don't stay on, still don't get the point of legwarmers...
-baby carrier (thinking sleepy wrap, moby, ergo?) I made a ring sling, cost me $10, hardly ever used it though. If we went out either dh would carry them or we'd use (rarely) a stroller (gift).
-breast pads of some sort, nursing tanks, nursing bras. I made breast pads out of flannel, and bought a couple of nursing bras from Walmart, didn't bother with nursing clothes.
-car seat- definitely
-prefold diapers - I bought 24 prefolds (not newborn size) and 6 wraps. I had to go a size up at a year for dd1 and for dd2 she needs the next size up after that at the same age. We got lots of toddler size cloth diapers (AIO's) from Freecycle)
-baby bjorn little potty- whenever you need one
-wool puddle pad- ?
-moses basket (naps? necessary?) We got one handed down to us, but never used it. Naps were always on me.

You also need baby wipes if you are diapering. We just bought a pack of 24 baby washcloths. I keep a spray bottle by the change table to wet them. Diaper pail.

Change table if you're diapering. This is debatable. Ours is always used for diapering.

Really everything else is debatable. We didn't use burp cloths until dd2 who was a projectile vomiter. We did use soothers with dd2 as she also had silent reflux and sucking constantly kept it from bothering her.

Like I mentioned previously, we have a big stroller and rarely ever use it. Never used a thermometer for the kids or baby combs or the nasal aspirator.

We cosleep so no crib. We were gifted a swing but the kids never liked it.

I do want one of those baby bouncer chairs this time. I just think that with two kids and a baby I might have to put the baby down once in a while!

You really don't need much.
#9 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 02:32 PM

My list:

onesies
sleepers
sun hat
sling!!
dipes/wipes
carseat
light blankets (AC homes are cool on babes)
nursing bras
nursing cover up (I don't like to show off in front of teenage boys ,lol)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#10 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 04:12 PM

We did onesies and sleepers. Socks don't stay on, still don't get the point of legwarmers...[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concerned, sleepers are a PITA. I hate having to get their legs completely in and out of their clothes every time we potty/diaper. Legwarmers plus onesie equals essentially the same coverage/warmth.

For cooler weather, there are some clever nursing tops, turtlenecks and long sleeves and such, with empire waist divides that pull up in the middle of the shirt to make access much easier. That over a nursing bra is GREAT. I think I got a few good ones from "motherwear.com."

A friend gave me a bunch of print flannel "blankets' that were lightweight and pretty and great for carrying around to toss over my shoulder if I needed more privacy nursing.

On the sling issue, yes, you should try out some different styles. Yes there is a little learning curve to get confident with the wrap/Moby styles, but I found the weight distribution to be SOOOOOOO superior to a one shoulder type style.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#11 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM

I think your list sounds good. I didn't need anything big last time and probably wont this time either. No crib or bassinet, no changing table, no swing, no highchair. I did have a stroller that we used for crowded places.

My list is:

-Cloth diaper stash.
-NB disposable dipes for first poops. (My first time with cloth so just in case)
-Baby wrap (probably moby. Used a sling last time and wasn't very pleased)
-Carseat (we're thinking of going straight into a convertable seat)
-Nursing pads and supplies for me.

I do the same tank top under a shirt trick. Pull up the outside, pull down the tank and the only thing exposed is what goes into babes mouth. It works great, especially when I'm not too eager to show off my PP belly pooch.

My baby clothes stash will be pretty simplistic. I'm gradually picking things up second hand. Mostly onesies, gowns, and romper type outfits. I like the ones that button up and around the legs so legs don't have to go in and out you just unsnap. Plus their cool for the hot weather and comfy for baby. I figure that is all I'll need at first. I can always get more if I need to after baby comes. I'm sure he'll spend most days in just a dipper since we don't have air conditioning.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#12 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Your list is good. I went through and commented where I had some thoughts, but I wouldn't add anything to it for the first few months. Eventually we used a booster seat with a tray that straps onto a dining room chair, but not til about 6 months, depending on the kid.

Quote:

We EC also and I have to say, baby nightgowns rock, especially for the newborn phase. T-shirts & kimonos are good too, but harder to come by. I chopped off the snaps of all my lo's onesies (we inherited gobs of them, plus theyr'e super cheap at garage sales). That's probably the cheapest way to go (modified onesies) cause you'll be given bnunches of them plus they're often a quarter at the thrift/garage sales. We use lot's of them, but with a summer baby, that's all they need for a while. Then, adding a sweater and some legwarmers will get you into cooler weather and hold you over til you have a clearer idea of how many clothes you'll inherit, how quickly your lo will grow, etc.

And legwarmers: if you sew at all there are a couple quick, very easy tutorials for modifying women's knee socks. This makes them ridiculously cheap. We used several pairs with EC. I was able to make 6 pairs for $14 and 30 minutes of time. Pretty worth while IMO!

Quote:
Love my Moby for the newborn phase, but it does get hot. Not sure how that will work in mid-August. Love the Ergo, too, but we don't really use it til closer to 5 months or so, depending on head control. Used a ring sling lot's with ds (#1), but almost not at all with dd (#2). Short story: get something that appeals to you, but maybe find a way to try several different kinds of carriers. It's a pretty individual sort of thing.

Quote:
-car seat
On the car seat: someone mentioned just using a convertible. While this is appealing, newborns are safest in infant carriers. They are simply held better. We have borrowed infant carriers from trusted friends who weren't using theirs until our lo's have outgrown them. This happened at about 4 months with both kids: one in length, one in weight! Then we moved them into the convertible that they stay in for a loooooong time Ask around, see if there's anyone who maybe has their infant seat in storage!

Quote:
-prefold diapers
-baby bjorn little potty
-wool puddle pad
From an EC perspective, we used all 36 of our infant prefolds a couple times a week in those first few weeks of learning and could have used more. We never used the larger sized prefolds and I'm planning on chopping many of them down this time around. We didn't use the bblp until dd was able to sit independently (around 4 months for her), but we did use a plastic bowl that someone brought a postpartum salad in! I didn't use a puddle pad at all, but plan on making one out of thrifted sweaters this time. We didn't do nighttime EC until much later, and I'd like to experiment with trying earlier this time and having more nakey butt time. You might want to wait on the puddle pad until you are past the adjustment period to see if you even want to do nighttime EC.

Quote:
Never had one. My newborns have mostly preferred to sleep in contact with me. Around 6-8 weeks, they were more comfortable falling asleep in or transferring to the Amby bed, but even then they mostly napped in the carrier and slept next to me at night. We also inherited an old school bouncy seat (no bells & whistles) that we used a lot for showers for me when the babies are a little older (3 months-ish?). I love our bouncy seat, but wouldn't ever use one unless it was devoid of blinky, noisy, vibrating crap, lol! And we've always bathed our babies in the kitchen sink. I hated the baby bathtub!

hth! You need very little. In my experience, it's best to have less than you think you'll need and fill the gaps as you discover a need. And if you want to talk more about ec specifically, feel free to ask!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#13 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonP'titBoudain View Post
On the car seat: someone mentioned just using a convertible. While this is appealing, newborns are safest in infant carriers. They are simply held better. We have borrowed infant carriers from trusted friends who weren't using theirs until our lo's have outgrown them. This happened at about 4 months with both kids: one in length, one in weight! Then we moved them into the convertible that they stay in for a loooooong time Ask around, see if there's anyone who maybe has their infant seat in storage!
It's not at all true that newborns are safer in infant carriers. There are many convertibles that will fit an average sized newborn quite well. In addition, many convertibles have safety features that infant seats lack. Bottom line is any seat that fits the baby well is a very safe choice. I'm a carseat fanatic and my newbie will be in a tethered, rear-facing SK Radian XTSL convertible at birth (until about 4, when we have to turn her forward-facing in it). Preemies and low-birthweight babies are the exception to the rule, and there are certainly convertibles that are unsafe for a newborn (the Britax convertibles, the Safety 1st Complete Air) but many seats, including the Radian, the MyRide 65, and the TrueFit will all fit the majority of babies at birth and come with infant padding.
#14 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
It's not at all true that newborns are safer in infant carriers. There are many convertibles that will fit an average sized newborn quite well. In addition, many convertibles have safety features that infant seats lack. Bottom line is any seat that fits the baby well is a very safe choice. I'm a carseat fanatic and my newbie will be in a tethered, rear-facing SK Radian XTSL convertible at birth (until about 4, when we have to turn her forward-facing in it). Preemies and low-birthweight babies are the exception to the rule, and there are certainly convertibles that are unsafe for a newborn (the Britax convertibles, the Safety 1st Complete Air) but many seats, including the Radian, the MyRide 65, and the TrueFit will all fit the majority of babies at birth and come with infant padding.
I'm the one that mentioned the convertible. We're looking into a Radian as well. OP, you can check in the Family Safety section here for more info on car seats and their safety ratings. I got a lot of info there when trying to decide on a car seat for the new babe.

Mostly, I'd like to save money and resources by not having to buy multiple car seats for this babe. DD is on her 3rd seat in 4 years. Also, I don't like how heavy the seats are when carrying them in and out of a car.

ETA: If you do want to go with a bucket at first, borrowing is a good idea. Just make sure that the seat hasn't been in an accident and that it isn't already expired. In other words, it's something I'd only borrow from someone I really trusted and knew for certain the history of that seat.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#15 of 32 Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
It's not at all true that newborns are safer in infant carriers. There are many convertibles that will fit an average sized newborn quite well. In addition, many convertibles have safety features that infant seats lack. Bottom line is any seat that fits the baby well is a very safe choice. I'm a carseat fanatic and my newbie will be in a tethered, rear-facing SK Radian XTSL convertible at birth (until about 4, when we have to turn her forward-facing in it). Preemies and low-birth weight babies are the exception to the rule, and there are certainly convertibles that are unsafe for a newborn (the Britax convertibles, the Safety 1st Complete Air) but many seats, including the Radian, the MyRide 65, and the TrueFit will all fit the majority of babies at birth and come with infant padding.
Thanks for clarifying that! Sorry to mislead! I must admit, my research is about 5 years old now (though, I think the last time I looked any of this up was two years ago??) At that time, it was strongly recommended to go ahead and get both. Most convertibles (then available) did not fit a newborn sufficiently to meet my standards... or many others on the Family Safety forum. But, like I said, my research is old. I haven't had to buy a carseat to fit a newborn in nearly 5 years and shouldn't this time (barring recalls I haven't read about). But, it's good to know there are other, better choices available now. I always hated the buying twice something that could be one purchase (which is why we shared with many folks)! Thanks again! (and I strongly second the recommendation to visit the Family Safety forum for this info, the folks over there are very knowledgeable... and current!)

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#16 of 32 Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 AM

Your list looks similar to mine, we are trying to minimalist. Its worth a try, right? Unfortunately, we do not have a washer and dryer, so cloth diapering isn't an option. Does anyone have experience with using gDiapers?

Quote:
For bathing are you planning on taking the baby in with you? If not, you should get a baby bathtub. We also have a mesh sling we used to shower with my last babe.
For bath time: I am planning on getting a baby bucket (there are several brands to choose from) and a mesh shower sling for later use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjapany View Post
okay, here is one thing I never thought of before DS was here:
Breastfeeding friendly clothes! It's not too hard in summer, but it never occurred to me beforehand that I would stop wearing loads of the stuff I had, because it just didn't have easy breast access. I never was a big fan of 'pulling up', so I started looking for tops that had wide necks, were super elastic etc.
I am loving the idea of the Milkshirt Breastfeeding tank top

Additional stuff on my list, includes:

Items for the Changing Table
(which will be on the top of babe's dresser, we built rails/walls on the top)
~ diapers: I am told to plan on using 70-90/week for the first 6 weeks, then 50/week, sound about right momma's?
~ alcohol-free disposable diaper wipes
~ diaper rash cream
~ waterproof pad for baby to lie on during changing

Bath Time
- baby bathtub (the bucket)
- shower mesh sling
- 4 terry cloth bath towels
- tearless shampoo
- baby soap
- brush and comb

Baby Medicine Cabinet
- teething rings
- bulb syringe nasal aspirator
- baby nail clippers
- Gripe water

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#17 of 32 Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 AM

I dont know what I'll need. I dont have a any summery clothes that will fit her. I am hoping I have enough onesies. I had so many things that I thought DS needed when he was born, and then there were things I never used, things I never thought of. I figure I'll just wait and see what happens.

I did buy a second hand cloth wipe warmer. DS HATED cold wipes. I am set on diapers.

Oh, i want a salt rock light. I want it for my room for diaper changes. i dont know if it will be bright enough though.

I'm just babbling, sorry, it's been a rough week.
#18 of 32 Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Your lists and input are SO HELPFUL!
I think I'm going to take the Moses Basket off the list as we have a little bouncy seat that someone gifted me a while ago (I have that and 3 onesies - ha!)
The shower sling looks neat!
AND I just found out we will be having a shower thrown for us so who knows what other stuff we'll get (AHH!! We have NO house space as is.)
#19 of 32 Old 04-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Oh good, you got a bouncy seat. I was going to ask what you intended to do with baby while you took a shower. I know many wait until spouses/so's are home. But for me that was not doable and i had to have my morning showers. DD would sit quietly watching me in her bouncy seat as she loved the sound of the shower. A bouncy seat isn't a must have, but some babe's like them and it was a lifesaver for me.

Otherwise my must have list is:
Cloth diapers, gowns and onesies, sun hats, a sling, breastpads and a breastpump.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#20 of 32 Old 04-02-2010, 02:16 AM

G-dipes: We used them for travel when laundry wasn't going to be an easy option. They're ok. I've never used a disposable diaper, so I have no comments on the comparison to that. As far as ease of use a couple of things: 1. They're not as flushable as you'd like. We stuffed several toilets. Tough on the plumbing with regular use. 2. They get dirty and need washing pretty frequently. It's usually confined to the little plastic snap in liner that holds the diaper itself, but even that part requires washing out and hanging up to dry, and gets kind of stained and weird with only hand washing. If you don't have a washer/dryer, you should know there is still a bit of dirty stuff to be washed with g-dipes.

#21 of 32 Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
What do we actually NEED?
-car seat
-prefold diapers
-baby bjorn little potty
-wool puddle pad
Clothes: Those little snap shirts are awesome for babies, esp. while ECing. You might consider investing in wool shorties or longies if you want the baby "clothed" while out or when the weather gets chillier.

Baby carrier: I own a Moby Wrap and a Beco Butterfly Carrier. I'd def recommend having the structured in addition to the wrap - the wrap was great at home (though can be hot in summer) and the structured carrier was great while out (no parts dragging on the ground while trying to put on, takes up less room when not in use).

Nursing accessories: Nursing cover. I leaked a ton with DD, so I'd say you'd probably want a few pairs of nursing pads. Sometimes I preferred the disposable nursing pads while out because I knew I wouldn't leak through.

Andrea , wife to Mark , mama to Taylor Elise (2) and Aurora Evelyn (born 8/17/10!)
#22 of 32 Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Oh! Breast pads! I have a set of wool ones that are GREAT! Same concept as using a wool soaker over a diaper. Very effective and don't need washing everytime they get contact with something. I got mine as a demo set....I think they came from New Zealand.

#23 of 32 Old 04-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepPDX View Post
Oh! Breast pads! I have a set of wool ones that are GREAT! Same concept as using a wool soaker over a diaper. Very effective and don't need washing everytime they get contact with something. I got mine as a demo set....I think they came from New Zealand.
I love how wool works with wicking moisture away, but I am wondering, isn't it itchy? Especially against sensitive nips? If not, I just may make some.... TIA

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#24 of 32 Old 04-03-2010, 04:42 PM
MJB

I'm allergic to wool, and leak through both cotton and disposable nursing pads. The only thing that works for me are the silicone LilyPadz. They work great. I might try some PUL-lined cloth ones this time, those weren't around 7 years ago. I'm definitely planning on buying some cloth postpartum pads because disposable pads in July/August sound miserable.
#25 of 32 Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I'm allergic to wool, and leak through both cotton and disposable nursing pads. The only thing that works for me are the silicone LilyPadz. They work great. I might try some PUL-lined cloth ones this time, those weren't around 7 years ago. I'm definitely planning on buying some cloth postpartum pads because disposable pads in July/August sound miserable.
I used LilyPads after DS2 was born. I must not have put them on right because twice I had them literally POP off of my breast with milk spaying out behind them. Very strange. I've never seen the ones with PUL, but I'd be afraid of it trapping the moisture in & being too warm becoming a perfect breeding ground for thrush. I'll have to look into them & see if the makers say anything about thrush.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#26 of 32 Old 04-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Both of my boys were born in the end of August, beginning of Sept. Made for some very hot days and nights with babe! Here is what I had for both:

-
Package or 2 of disposable diapers for the meconium period, and the cloth rubs their little belly button area before it pops off
-
12-15 cloth AIO diapers sz small. I used Mother-Ease AIO for both boys,5 prefolds that I cut into 4's and stitched the edges for wipes, and a wipes warmer box for the water to stay warm.
-
3-5 t-shirts. It's so hot, they were mostly in just a diaper during the day. They aren't THAT messy during the first few weeks and I wasn't leaving the house alot with a newborn, 2 pairs thumb size nb sox
-
2-3 one piece footed pj's
-
Thermometer, blue sucky bulb, nail clipper(their little nails are so sharp!)
-
4 thin swaddle blankets. I don't know why I had so many, gifts? Can't remember
-
Pouch/sling
-
Swing. I loved this thing. It only works for so long, but the gentle back and forth put them to sleep instantly, or kept them quite so I could make dinner, or take a shower. Not so fun trying to dry off with a swing in the b.room tho!
They napped in the carseat, I never got a moses basket or anything like that. Really the carseat was the perfect size, also fits on a bathroom floor well during showers.

That's it really. All the other stuff we didnt' need until fall and it got colder, then it was just clothes and bigger diapers. I never used the crib or co-sleeper, and only used the changiing table for poop diapers.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#27 of 32 Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isras1 View Post
I love how wool works with wicking moisture away, but I am wondering, isn't it itchy? Especially against sensitive nips? If not, I just may make some.... TIA
These Lanowool ones are what I had. Not itchy.

#28 of 32 Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 PM

If you are going to have a baby shower and want to keep in minimalistic, I suggest having an "ages and stages" shower, and having whoever organizes it ask people to bring things for the first 3-4 years of baby life. That way you can get clothing in many sizes, toddler plates/cutlery, training potty(s), step stools, tippy cups, etc. While you do have to store all that stuff, I think it is better than ending up with a ton of stuff for the first 6 months and nothing afterwards.

I, too, would scratch the Moses basket. We just let DD nap on a blanket laid on the floor. We also were cosleeping, which meant all I really needed was lots of cloth diapers or burp clothes to catch the milk that always shoots out the other boob when DD is nursing, and some extra towels to lay on the bed in case of accidents.

I would add some baby toiletries, like baby wash, diaper cream, baby lotion, baby nail clippers, thermometer, nasal aspirator, and baby oil. (Everything natural, of course!) And a wet bag for storing cloth diapers in. If you arn't keen on washing diapers, you can look into a service for the first few weeks. We had one for the first 6 weeks of DD life, and it was heavenly! We also have some safety stuff on our list, although it is somewhat embarrising to admit that we don't have it already with a kid in the house, like a fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide detector, and some drawer/cabinet locks.

Don't forget mama stuff, like nipple cream, lotion, and a breastpump for when you need to be away from baby. I love my nursing bras, but never did find great nursing tops. And it can be hard to predict your size when your milk comes in.

Finally, I think it is pretty important to have a couple of bottles made for a breastfeeding baby to serve breastmilk in, some burp rags or cloths, and a couple of swaddling blankets. We also have a pretty large house, and I love to garden and whatnot when baby is sleeping, so a moniter is pretty important for our family.

All that other stuff (swing, stroller, bouncer, etc.) you can honestly do without. And if you do decide that you want it later on, most can be bought fairly cheeply at a thrift or consignment store.

The last thing to note is that many places will let you exchange things with no questions asked if you have a registry on file with them. Silly, I know, but when you end up with 6 bottles of J&J baby lotion, it is really nice to walk into Target and say you would like to exchange them for something off your registry and not have them give you any grief about it. So you might want to create a couple registries just for the added level of customer service you will get. Just ignore all that "reccomend you register for..." stuff and only put things you really want on there.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#29 of 32 Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
If you are going to have a baby shower and want to keep in minimalistic, I suggest having an "ages and stages" shower, and having whoever organizes it ask people to bring things for the first 3-4 years of baby life. That way you can get clothing in many sizes, toddler plates/cutlery, training potty(s), step stools, tippy cups, etc. While you do have to store all that stuff, I think it is better than ending up with a ton of stuff for the first 6 months and nothing afterwards.

I, too, would scratch the Moses basket. We just let DD nap on a blanket laid on the floor. We also were cosleeping, which meant all I really needed was lots of cloth diapers or burp clothes to catch the milk that always shoots out the other boob when DD is nursing, and some extra towels to lay on the bed in case of accidents.

I would add some baby toiletries, like baby wash, diaper cream, baby lotion, baby nail clippers, thermometer, nasal aspirator, and baby oil. (Everything natural, of course!) And a wet bag for storing cloth diapers in. If you arn't keen on washing diapers, you can look into a service for the first few weeks. We had one for the first 6 weeks of DD life, and it was heavenly! We also have some safety stuff on our list, although it is somewhat embarrising to admit that we don't have it already with a kid in the house, like a fire extinguisher, carbon monoxide detector, and some drawer/cabinet locks.

Don't forget mama stuff, like nipple cream, lotion, and a breastpump for when you need to be away from baby. I love my nursing bras, but never did find great nursing tops. And it can be hard to predict your size when your milk comes in.

Finally, I think it is pretty important to have a couple of bottles made for a breastfeeding baby to serve breastmilk in, some burp rags or cloths, and a couple of swaddling blankets. We also have a pretty large house, and I love to garden and whatnot when baby is sleeping, so a moniter is pretty important for our family.

All that other stuff (swing, stroller, bouncer, etc.) you can honestly do without. And if you do decide that you want it later on, most can be bought fairly cheeply at a thrift or consignment store.

The last thing to note is that many places will let you exchange things with no questions asked if you have a registry on file with them. Silly, I know, but when you end up with 6 bottles of J&J baby lotion, it is really nice to walk into Target and say you would like to exchange them for something off your registry and not have them give you any grief about it. So you might want to create a couple registries just for the added level of customer service you will get. Just ignore all that "reccomend you register for..." stuff and only put things you really want on there.
The swing was great for ds#1 because he had colic, that's why I couldn't remember using it for #2. I second the monitor, how did I miss that! I was always told that babies aren't supposed to be cleaned with washes for the first 4-6 months due to their skin being so sensitive. I did use olive oil on the head for the cradle cap, awesome. I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to store the stroller, bike trailer, etc. etc. that we were given for #1. With #2 I def. waited until they were old enough to even need it. Turns out #2 hated being in a stroller or bike trailer, so I'm glad we waited and purchased 2nd hand.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#30 of 32 Old 04-05-2010, 07:30 PM

With our DD, I had to use baby wash or the meconium was not coming off! But I didn't bathe her daily or anything, and I always used natural stuff. I'm partial to the Burt's Bees Baby wash, which is mostly coconut oil. And here in Colorado, I need baby oil and lotion or else eczema is a sure thing. I love pure apricot oil, although it is so hard to find. Olive oil is wonderful too, if you don't mind your child smelling slightly like dinner. For lotion, we love the Wedela (sp?) calendula stuff, and we had some pure calendula salve that did wonders for diaper rash.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page