Soreness while sleeping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get really sore shoulders at night and my arms fall asleep, so I wake up to change sides about every 2 hours. I also get sore boobs at night from the top one compressing the bottom one (my boobs have gotten quite big in the past couple of months). Am I the only one? Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing it?

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
#2 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMama View Post
I get really sore shoulders at night and my arms fall asleep, so I wake up to change sides about every 2 hours. I also get sore boobs at night from the top one compressing the bottom one (my boobs have gotten quite big in the past couple of months). Am I the only one? Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing it?
No you're not alone. I have the same problem, only it's usually my lower back and legs that get sore. What helps me in that case is to sleep with a pillow between or under my legs. Not sure what I'd do about the arms...

For your boobs, have you thought about sleeping with a light sports bra or sleeping bra for the extra support? Personally I find it hard to get comfortable these days without a bra of some kind. I need the support.

caffix.gif
#3 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM

My legs and hips hurt almost every night. I have tried the pillow between the legs but, it's no help. I thought it was just me and my crappy mattress. It's horrible, I toss and turn all night!

Mom to three girls 14, 11, 9, and 1 more Girl on the way 8/8/2010!
#4 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 PM

Mine is the hips too, it's so annoying!

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#5 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 AM

My arms, neck, head and back have all been super sore all night! I, too, am waking up every couple of hours to change sides. I don't know what to do. I've tried changing pillows, having more, having less.. I'm just starting to feel like its something I have to just deal with.
#6 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Hips and legs are hurting me worse and worse. The pillow between the legs helps, and stretching in the bed helps. But unfortunately the only thing that really helps a lot is getting up out of the bed and walking around. But obviously when you're half asleep you don't want to have to do that.

caffix.gif
#7 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 PM

i get sore shoulders because i'm not used to sleeping on my side. my calves cramp up and my hips get all wonkey. i have a body pillow i put between my knees and ankles and rest another pillow against my lower back and that seems to help. the past two nights i did a prenatal yoga vido and that seemed to do the trick, i slept better than i had in months! i think the prenatal stretches relax my body for bedtime. so far i like parts of shiva rhea's dvd and Desi Bartlett's dvd. my husband is even doing them with me, which is very amusing.

DD: 8/10

#8 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions about the sports bra and stretching before bed. I do stretch in the mornings, but didn't think of doing it before bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim View Post
i like parts of shiva rhea's dvd and Desi Bartlett's dvd. my husband is even doing them with me, which is very amusing.
kimkim - what do you like and dislike about the shiva rhea dvd? I saw it's rated a 4 on amazon, but the one from Jennifer Wolfe is 4.5? I have the Pregnancy workout with Karyne Steben, but would also like a yoga video.

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
#9 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 AM

the shiva rhea dvd: i'm enjoying it the more i do it, but the things I don't like are the extreme use of props. i'm not the fittest person but she has the 2nd trimester girl using a chair and blocks etc. i don't like all the props, i can still do balance poses (but you can follow along with her...it's just that every time i do the video i have to listen to her explain the props etc) it feels a little slow and has lots of side stretches (i do enjoy them, but i want to work other parts of my body) i don't like their outfits or the music (superficial things, i know but i'm looknig at the screen). i do like the progression of the dvd and ending relaxation part almost puts me to sleep every time. desi's dvd does kegels, which motivates me (i don't know why i fight doing kegels) to work on them. i like the desi one b/c she's in her 3rd trimester and doing stuff that's hard for me in 2nd trimester. i like to feel challenged. shiva rhea's is too accomodating but it's still a good yoga dvd. i hope i answered your questions.

DD: 8/10

#10 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to share a sleep position that's been helping me get more sleep and doesn't cause me any discomfort (most of the time). I lie on my back and then push a pillow under my right side so that it's half under me, lifting my ride side and putting me at about a 45 degree angle. I especially like this because I'm normally a back sleeper.

I asked my MW about it and she said this was perfectly fine, as it shifts the uterus enough to not press on the major veins in the back.

Kimkim - thanks for the reviews - that is helpful. And for some reason I fight doing kegels too! That's part of why I like the pregnancy workout dvd I do, as they're built in.

#11 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Yes- I hate it!!! I completely have the sore arms, shoulders, neck thing and my arms fall asleep. I toss and turn all night. I want to start going to a massage therapist to loosen up mu shoulders - I think that might help. All this discomfort makes me dread going to slep, but I'm so tired! I do not remember this with my first, and I thought it strange that the discomfort came so early.
#12 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 PM

I tend to sleep on just one side all night. We co sleep and ds still nurses at night. So I deffinitly get the sore shoulder thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page