Natural heartburn help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

The thing I hated most about my last pregnancy, heartburn, has decided to make an early and strong appearance in this pregnancy. I have heartburn every day. It comes on regardless of what I eat, drink, or do, and usually lasts the remainder of the day. It gets worse if I lay down, bend over, or in some other way get my head close to my tummy level. Since I never suffer from this when I'm not preggo, I don't deal with it very well.

I'm not a huge fan of drugs, and Tums didn't really help for more than about 20-30 minutes when I had this the last go round. A small glass (maybe a cup) of milk has a similar effect, making it fade for about 20-30 minutes. I've been drinking a lot of milk!

I'm wondering if any of you ladies out there have another dietary, herbal, or natural remedy for heartburn. Does acupuncture help? Even short term (20-30 min.) remedies would be welcome as I could mix them up with the milk and at least have a variety in my diet. After all, I've got another 20 weeks of burning to look forward to. Thanks!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Acupuncture helped me a lot! As does eating an apple before bed (I chop it up in my blender with a little water and drink it). And my husband's acupuncturist said if it's still a problem then I should try apple cider vinegar, and I can mix it with water and honey if I can't get it down straight.

#3 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM

Ooh thanks for reminding me about the apple cider vinegar! I've heard the apple cider vinegar trick works wonders. I've been having bad heartburn so I've just been doing the (chocolate) milk and having graham crackers by the bed. I still have woken up in the middle of the night with a feeling in my throat like I have just thrown up. (blech!)
#4 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 12:43 AM

I used baking soda in about a cup of water
#5 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM

Crashing from new posts. I was an Aug 09, mama. Almonds really helped w/ my heartburn. Just a handful before bed.

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
#6 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 AM

an apple really helps me!

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#7 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 PM

My midwife recommended Papaya enzyme. She said it worked wonders for her, and from the research I've done fresh papaya works, too!

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#8 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM

papaya enzymes (I chugged those things) and digestive enzymes and laying off the spicy food really helped.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#9 of 12 Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice ladies! I've tried the apples and that actually seems to tone it down to a tolerable level for about 30 minutes or so, which is great. And I much prefer apples to milk, so that is a big plus! How much vinegar are you supposed to drink? I think I could do a shot or so, but much more sounds a bit overwhelming. I might go and get some papaya enzyme, as that sounds pretty safe too, and I'll buy some almonds next time I'm at the store. Keep the ideas rolling! Ideally, I'd love to make a whole day where I just do each remedy once...

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#10 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 AM

Aloe Vera Juice! It burns a little going down and then soothes it. Also, sleep with two pillows so you are slighlty elevated...this keeps the acid down a bit better.
#11 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
How much vinegar are you supposed to drink? I think I could do a shot or so, but much more sounds a bit overwhelming.
I've always just done a tablespoon or so mixed with some honey and sometimes I'll dilute that with a bit of water. Honestly, though, it's never worked very well for me. Papaya enzymes are my magic pill. And I've also observed (totally anecdotal) that my heartburn eases a little when I start the Cal-Mag supplements for leg cramps (which is always about mid-way so far). Doesn't cure it, but it does ease it a bit. But, mostly I chug papaya enzymes and eat a lot of fresh, light things.

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#12 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM

I've used papaya enzymes, apple, mint or ginger tea, homeopathic remedies & almonds all of which seemed to help to different degrees at different times. The one thing that seems to help the most it baking soda in water! I want to say it was 2 teaspoons in 1/2 cup of water. Let it dissolve as best as possible & chug. It doesn't taste great & it will make you burp alot.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page