Prenatal Exercise DVD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I get lots of exercise through walking and day-to-day stuff, but I'd really love to have some targeted exercises for pregnancy. I thought maybe someone here may have some suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Prenatal exercise DVD
-No Yoga. I don't want anything to do with yoga, but core/pilates stuff is good.
-Use of a birthing/exercise ball
-Not a whole lot of "jumping" dancing, kickboxing type stuff..I know there are several on the market that are sort of a prenatal take off of higher level aerobics. I want something a bit calmer, quieter and focused. I love pilates, so that type of focus..perhaps something I can even draw on in labor.
-I'm pretty fit, so any type of level is fine, other than marathon training while pregnant...I ain't that fit.
-I'd like something I can work on 5-7 days a week, with a reasonable time investment.

TIA for anything you have experience with!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amira's Bellydance and Yoga for Pregnancy DVD

I know you said no Yoga but this DVD is fun, great, and low impact. It works out all the birthing muscles. There is not that much yoga in it. The DVD is divided into segments so you can break it up. Even though it is low impact you can feel the work out later. You do not feel it too much during the actual workout.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#3 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
LZP

I have this one. It's pretty good. No birth ball, but she uses a chair I think. Can you tell I havent used it in some time?! it got GREAT reviews from beginners and fit mamas alike, and she has various versions for different stages in pregnancy. she even has a part at the end for a good, deep kegel.

I also have Shiva Rea's prenatal yoga, but I know you said you didnt want yoga. had to throw it in there, just in case other mamas are reading this though- it's awesome.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#4 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 05:27 PM

I also really like the Perfect Pregnancy workout. As the pp mentioned, there's no ball - she just uses a chair. You could do the ab and pelvic section with a ball though instead of on the floor with pillows. It's about 40 minutes including the warm up and cool down. I've been doing it about 2-3 times a week since my 8th week. I'm still doing the beginner level all the way through, as I find that's the perfect level for me to get enough of a workout without overdoing it, but there are options for intermediate and advanced for several of the exercises (several using a step stool).

It's a mix of leg lifts, squats, lunges, etc. and then floor work.

The only things I don't like about it are that she transitions from one move to the other rather quickly at times (because she narrated it after filming, rather than during, I think) and I wish the cool down were longer, but I just add my own stretches at the end.

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
#5 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM

I third Perfect Pregnancy Workout. I think it is the ideal exercise video for pregnancy. Sometimes I'll switch it up with Pilates for Pregnancy, but that one doesn't get me sweating as much as PPW.

I have a couple of ball exercise videos, but there are very few moves from those videos that I can do while pregnant. You could just research a few moves online and incorporate it into your regular routine.

Andrea , wife to Mark , mama to Taylor Elise (2) and Aurora Evelyn (born 8/17/10!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page