What do I need to do to prepare for childbirth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to have an ( unnecesary imo ) csection with my first child. I wont make that mistake again so Im going to attempt a vbac at a birthing center. Im just about 20 weeks, so half way through this pregnancy. What do I need to do, or what can I do to start to prepare? Ive been trying to get some light exercise everyday. Can someone explain the red raspberry leaf tea to me, and any other things like it?
Thanks!
Elisabeth
#2 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM

What was the c-section for?

I hired a doula for my vbac and her support was the reason why I succeeded.
#3 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I was induced because my bp was one point too high. So I belive it was the induction that led to my csection. I switched drs and my current one has told me it was unnecesary after looking over the report.
#4 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM

I was induced as well (without consent) and ended up with an epidural, both of which I also believe contributed to my c-section.

So the main thing to do would be to avoid those things that you believe contributed to your c-section (induction). For me, it's to avoid the hospital (homebirth) and have decent support (doula)

The tea I think is supposed to be drunk daily in the third trimester.
#5 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM

First, I am so sorry for the unneces-cesarean. Second, congrats on choosing to VBAC!!!

I'm an HBAC in Sept, and this is what I have done and what I find important.
1)make sure you are healed from your past cesarean. Anything that is not healed now, will come up in labor and that's not the ideal time to deal with emotional issues. I read An Easier Childbirth and it helped identify a lot of stressors and such. Talk with your MW/MWs, and hire a Doula for this as well.

2)Go to ICAN meetings. www.ican-online.org They are really helpful in gaining support from those who know the facts and have great advice

3)diet and exercise. Yoga is good for opening, stretching and BP. Bellydance is good for practicing pelvic movements you can use in labor to help baby get in good position and come down. Diet, RRL tea helps tone the female reproductive system. It doesn't cause labor contractions, but makes contractions more effective. High protein (80-100 grams a day) helps to prevent pre-eclapsia, and low sugar/empty carbs can help to prevent Gestational Diabetes. Some good exercises are kegels, pelvic tilts, labor squatting instead of bending down, other leg toning stuff too.

4) some good books that I have read are any Ina May Gaskin books, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, the Birth Partner, and Pregnancy Childbirth and the Newborn.

5)I would (and have) hire a Doula. Yes, I know a MW does a sort of the same thing, but this person's sole responsibility is your comfort, they don't worry about BP, hearttones, dialtion, etc. They are wonderful.

6) Believe in yourself!!! Your body was made to birth and your baby was made to be born vaginally.
#6 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 PM

red raspberry leaf tea can be drunk the entire pregnancy, before and after as well. Once through your first trimester, you can add nettles to the mix. Some also add alfalfa, ect during the last trimester. I get all my herbs from www.mountainroseherbs.com . great prices, great service. Welcome to the ddc!
I think a doula is a great idea, as well.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#7 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
First, I am so sorry for the unneces-cesarean. Second, congrats on choosing to VBAC!!!

I'm an HBAC in Sept, and this is what I have done and what I find important.
1)make sure you are healed from your past cesarean. Anything that is not healed now, will come up in labor and that's not the ideal time to deal with emotional issues. I read An Easier Childbirth and it helped identify a lot of stressors and such. Talk with your MW/MWs, and hire a Doula for this as well.

2)Go to ICAN meetings. www.ican-online.org They are really helpful in gaining support from those who know the facts and have great advice

3)diet and exercise. Yoga is good for opening, stretching and BP. Bellydance is good for practicing pelvic movements you can use in labor to help baby get in good position and come down. Diet, RRL tea helps tone the female reproductive system. It doesn't cause labor contractions, but makes contractions more effective. High protein (80-100 grams a day) helps to prevent pre-eclapsia, and low sugar/empty carbs can help to prevent Gestational Diabetes. Some good exercises are kegels, pelvic tilts, labor squatting instead of bending down, other leg toning stuff too.

4) some good books that I have read are any Ina May Gaskin books, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, the Birth Partner, and Pregnancy Childbirth and the Newborn.

5)I would (and have) hire a Doula. Yes, I know a MW does a sort of the same thing, but this person's sole responsibility is your comfort, they don't worry about BP, hearttones, dialtion, etc. They are wonderful.

6) Believe in yourself!!! Your body was made to birth and your baby was made to be born vaginally.
1. It will be 3 years since my section and I have been cleared by my dr to go for a vbac. Im currently seeing a obgyn as shes 5 minutes from my house and is on board with my decisions. The birthing center where I will deliver is about 45 minutes away, but I plan to switch my care over to there in the next few weeks.

As far as emotionally I am fine with the fact that I have had a cesection but am determined to not have any more, now that Im more informed.

2. I will look this up thanks.

3. Thanks for the tips on stretching.

4. Yes, im half way through one of her books right now.

5. The birthing center where Im delivering provides a midwife and a doula. Plus my husband and I will be taking bradley classes.

6. Thanks, im very excited about my labor and delivery!
#8 of 12 Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth1017 View Post

5. The birthing center where Im delivering provides a midwife and a doula. Plus my husband and I will be taking bradley classes.
Personally, I would suggest a Doula who not part of any other organization who can be held liable at the birth, I think it mixes emotions too much. I feel that a Doula's sole responsibility needs to be your comfort, and not in the back of their mind have any organizations benift/cost/liability. I know this may sound like 'yeah right, I doubt they do that', but I'd want to be prepared for that. Our first son was through a birthing center with MWs, where I thought we were doing everything right, we took Bradley classes together, etc, but when labor hit, the MW were completely different than what I thought. There were 3 other births at the center during our labor and the MW had to be in and out a lot. My hubby (which speaks nothing to his wonderfulness as a husband) is not the type you read about in Spiritual Midwifery. I personally feel there are very very very very few husbands who can really fathom birth and what a woman needs. A Doula will help BOTH you and hubby retain the info from Bradley classes, and implement them in labor, she supports both of you and is trained in how to do that. Having an independent Doula means you don't have to worry about her ever leaving. I didn't think that would happen as our Birthing center only had about 1 birth a day, that day it just blew up with births.

Mom's who are emotionally more sensitive to birth, like VBACs, first time moms, moms recovering from traumatic births, etc, I feel should have a person there solely for them and no one else's interest. You can find Doula's for cheap who have only been practicing a few months or so, some only ask for gas compensation. This way, you will have her and the Birthing center Doula too. Going back, that is what I would do.

Check with your ICAN group. Our Doula is the chapter leader of our Austin group, so she's been to TONS of VBACs, HBACs, etc. She knows our MW, and that is very important for the two to meet prior to the birth.
#9 of 12 Old 04-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth1017 View Post
Bradley class is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest along with reading some of the books already suggested. It sounds like you are doing just about everything you can.

Yoga is a great way to stretch your body. Practice squating. Also try to take time to 'be' with your baby. I have a hard time bonding with my babies until they are born & I can see them, but that doesn't stop me from trying. I took prenatal yoga classes with DS2 & at the end of each class we listened to a really beautiful song with our hands on our belly's & 'danced' with our babies. It was a wonderful feeling! I need to go find that song. It was also really interesting that after DS2 was born that song was able to calm him just about anytime he was upset for almost the 1st year.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#10 of 12 Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Another vote for Bradley classes! My DH and I took the 12 week series together, and it was a really great resource for both of us. My other suggestions are to read as many positive birth and VBAC stories as you can lay hands on, limit exposure to negative birth stores, and keep a positive mind set. Labor is as much a mental as a physical undertaking.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#11 of 12 Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice girls. I have talked to a close friend who is a doula and she has agreed to be there with me.
#12 of 12 Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Congratulations on your choice to VBAC! Woo Hoo!

I had a VBA2C last June at a hospital, and am planning a homebirth for this baby.

I think all the suggestions from mama's here are really great. I would totally second the use of RRL tea. I drank it like a crazy woman my entire last pregnancy, and with each sip (particularly towards the end) I would seriously link it (in my mind) to helping my uterus become stronger. I had 2 vaginal births prior to my c-sections, so I really focused on what that is like, rather than any what-if's of c-section. I also added in nettle tea during the second trimester, and a lot at the end. Evening primrose was something I could work at proactively, and feel it also helped.

I had a speedy and easy labor and delivery of an 8 lbs 10 oz boy...it was wonderful.

Anything that gives you confidence, and relinquishes and fears seems to help. Lots and lots of walking, kegals and good nutrition help to prepare your body!

You are going to do great! I'm proud of you! It's so much "easier" for women to simply set up that repeat c-section...so much more "work" to prepare the body and mind for the work that lies ahead..I love that!

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page