What Do You "Do"? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am also a graphic designer, with 20 years experience. Right now I work 32 hours a week, and during that time DD is home with Daddy. He works part-time from home but his main job is SAHD during the 4 days a week I'm working, and he rocks at it! With both of us only working part-time, we don't make much money but we get by (only one car, careful budgeting, etc).

I feel very blessed and lucky that DD has never been in daycare. In fact, she has only been watched by family a few times for "date nights" -- otherwise she's always with us. With my first daughter (now 22 years old), I had to send her to daycare before she was 2 and it tore me up. I found it so hard to miss my little one all day, knowing strangers were spending more time interacting with her every day than I was, in order to squeak out a living! Much sympathy to those who have no other choice.

After baby #3 comes, my husband is going to work full-time for his father's company and I'm going to stay home with our girls for at least 3 years. We will make even less money overall (scary), but we both think this will be best for our lifestyle. Money isn't everything! We have decided that whoever stays home with the 2 girls needs to devote all their attention to them, and not try to earn a paycheck too.

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 AM

I am a Mom to five other kids under the age of 8. I am not a SAHM because I cannot remember the last time I stayed at home more than 3 hours at a time. My second full time job is being a military wife I am so busy its crazy and I love it.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:49 AM

I work in mental health, on a program which is trying to decrease strigma and discrimination. So that means I do a lot of networking, presenting at conferences and workshops with people. I love my job, and work with some wonderful people.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM

I am mostly a SAHM. I do some part time work at home online. I don't make much, but I don't work many hours right around 10-15 hours a week. I try to work before DS gets up and right when he gets up so that I am done soon after.

I also homeschool so I don't see me going back to work any time soon.

Hubby is an assistant store manager, works 45-50 hours a week plus 2 hour commute a day, so he's gone a lot, but still he doesn't make much, and we are struggling. But to us it's worth it for me to be home.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM
LZP

WOW! Thanks everyone for sharing. It's nice to get to "know" you better.

I'm a marketing director at a national specialty insurance company. I manage all print and online advertising in over 400 outlets as well as coordinating our company's sponsorship of events and clubs related to our industry nationwide, designing promotional materials and show presence, and doing most of the graphic design for all of our media as well. (My degree is in marketing with a minor in Fine Arts, but graphic/web design was never a focus, and something that I've been trying to teach myself over the last few years.) It's a LOT of work, but seems to come in spurts. Our busy season is just starting to pick up, so I my time is in increasing demand lately. And most things need to be done "right now" since I have a boss (the president) who forgets that he didnt ask me to do something weeks ago. We're all pretty overextended, yet somehow i still find time to check in on MDC!

My hope is that I can be a SAHM once this baby comes, or soon after. However, I have WAY better medical coverage, and the expense to add me and a child to DHs plan is outrageous, and will almost make it impossible for me to stay home. I might start looking into other coverage options, but it seems so daunting. Sometimes I hope my boss might let me WAH for the minimum hours required to maintain benefits, but doubt that will happen, and I dont know that I'm dedicated enough to be productive... In that case, my roll will be close to many of the other SAHMs here- focus on our child, and hope to get the cleaning, cooking and other household things done while DH continues to work in his high-stress job. I feel like it's the least I can do, since really, I'd be doing my dream job. We dont intend to homeschool (as of now) so once our children are in school full time, I'll probably pick up a part time gig in one of the shops in our cute little town, or maybe figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I'm interested in photography, painting, ceramics&pottery, sewing, crocheting, interior design/decorating, cooking, nutrition, and natural family living. All things that I think i *might* like to pursue on a professional level, but am not ready to commit to just yet. Seems like online courses or those at a local CC are in my future. (so, one of the other things I "do" is fantasize about what my future self will "do.")

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 PM

I have a question for all the SAHMs. Did you figure out budget-wise if you could afford this before you had kids? What was your evolution from working to not after you had a baby? Was it part of the plan? DH and I live pretty frugally, with the exception of travel, which is a shared love, and I feel like we could make it work with his income alone, especially since we have no debt and a pretty big savings account. However, I don't want to put all the financial pressure on him, since he has a tendency to stress about money. How did you & your partner figure out that you could make it work, and what kind of lifestyle changes did you make in order to succeed?

Amanda, livin' and lovin' in Memphis w/ Brandon & Eliza (8.15.10)! 6/2009.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallanimal View Post
I have a question for all the SAHMs. Did you figure out budget-wise if you could afford this before you had kids? What was your evolution from working to not after you had a baby? Was it part of the plan? DH and I live pretty frugally, with the exception of travel, which is a shared love, and I feel like we could make it work with his income alone, especially since we have no debt and a pretty big savings account. However, I don't want to put all the financial pressure on him, since he has a tendency to stress about money. How did you & your partner figure out that you could make it work, and what kind of lifestyle changes did you make in order to succeed?
My husband is a CPA with his own small practice...so it was really a step of faith since his business was very young when we really committed to me always being home. I worked part time when our first was young, but since that I've stayed home and homeschooled.

For us, there really is no other choice. We don't believe anyone else can raise our children as well as we can-not because we're superior, but because we come from a faith mindset that God equips us to be parents, and entrusts that job to us-and He expects us to give up self for that role.

It's workable for us because we don't live extremely worldly. We have realistic expectations about what we actually "need". While children and adults alike may think big expensive toys, fancy cars, designer threads are "cool", they are not necessary...additionally we have a different perspective about what kids actually NEED to grow up successfully. I think the majority of children today are spoiled..spoiled by parents who feel guilty, give em' a free ride through life, and expect little from them.

We don't believe we need to have a college fund for each of our kids. Why? My husband and I both went to college on our own..me a little, and my husband through advanced education-funded by his hard work alone..no fund! We don't believe children need to be entertained by the world (think movies, trips, constantly going somewhere) so we have made our home our refuge. We have a permanent doughboy pool we saved for, and most of our activities are home centered fun, with the occasional educational trip, and extremely rare saved for family vacation.

In other words, it's all about perspective. I believe 90%+ of two parent households could be one income...but they don't choose to (and that is obviously their choice and one I'm not judging..whatever parents choose to do as right for them!) based on "we can't afford it". Perhaps it's not possible because of living beyond ones' means, and maybe not possible because there are unrealistic expectations as to what is required to properly live or raise kids..differing views on that will lead to differing choices, understandably! I don't expect everyone to have the same perspective my DH and I share. I understand many women choose to be career women, and that is a different situation than one who is working yet wishes to be home. That's the issue at hand.

Sorry for the book. My husband is a financial planner/counselor, and he helps families all the time to take the leap of faith in getting debt free, and coming home to raise their children.

Blessings on whatever your choice may be.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM

I will be honest, we married young, I was 22 he was 21, I had never actually held a full time grown up job, i was a bank teller part time for a couple years, and I was a pharmacy tech for a year before and during my most of my pregnancy with DS.

Since I haven't ever really worked we never had to make that leap of faith. However, we have never had anything either. We don't have savings, we have old cars- 1996 is our newest, but we make it work, mostly.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
And SAHMs, don't you dare call yourselves lazy or just a SAHM (a few did).
That is frustrating!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm a SAHM and full time student. I had to put off my graduate degree when I became pregnant with DS and since then I have been taking classes toward a second bachelor's degree - only because those classes aren't nearly as time-intensive for me. Happily I only have to attend school one night per week, the rest is available online, so it works out. With any luck I'll be back in a position to start my MBA in fall of 2011, after we make our next move for DH's job.

On the SAHM side - I'm a military wife (and veteran myself) whose DH works long/irregular hours. He is also gone sometimes, but thankfully not for months at a time like he used to be. I'm the one who takes care of *everything* domestic - all the cooking, cleaning, washing, child and pet care, finances, etc. Sometimes I wish that I could get him to do more but he is really good about helping out with DS when I ask, plus he handles all the outside work. I never really wanted or saw myself in such a traditional role, and I still don't feel like this is what I want for myself permanently (hence all the college work). But it is working for us for now and I plan to keep it up at least until all my children are in school full time.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 PM

I am a SAHM who spends most days right now being lazy (I'm being honest here) because I'm currently doing the hardest thing my body will ever do and that's growing two babies I do whatever I need to to care for DS (22 months) cook lunch, light cleaning, play, etc... But I'm exhausted most of the time and DH is awesome about helping out. I do all the laundry and that's about the only think I am good at keeping up on right now LOL! I figure it this way... in just a few months I'm going to have a 2 year old and newborn twins so I will never ever get this lazy time again... so I'm taking advantage LOL!

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I was educated at home and knew that I would want to do the same thing once married. It didn't take DH long at all to jump on board. With that mindset and much of what MFQ mentioned, it was always a given that we would do whatever it took to keep me home. I have a degree, but my mindset now is that my furthering ed will be for the benefit of my family now and then as something that i could do from home in any worst-case scenarios. DH is self-employed in the housing industry and we all know what that's like these days.

I agree that it's about priorities...each has to figure this out for themselves (what their priorities are). For us, the first priority after food, lol is keeping me home. Right now, we are scraping by, but I feel blessed because while we have let go of some really wanted wants, our needs have been met.
Even in all this, we've been able to make our payments for HB and have all the essentials met.

I am of the mindset that when you want/feel something enough, there is a way to make it happen. It may take faith, it may take patience and it will absolutely take work! But it can be done.

We plan on having a large family (this is number four) and have not budgeted for each baby, ect beforehand, but we do try to save money and stay away from debt. It works for us.

Sorry about the novel, but hey! you asked...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
First of all: I said I feel lazy because unlike most SAHMs I don't have a long list of hobbies/other things going on. I do when I'm not pregnant but I'm pretty much a slug while gestating. I do the mom thing and not much else most days. This is a huge change for me because most of the time I'm kind of a psycho overachiever. Perspective is everything.

As far as working out the money stuff--my husband makes a lot of money. Before we got married he was dramatically underpaid for his years of experience/job field. I uhhh bullied him into asking for huge pay raises from a couple of jobs in a row. At the salary level he was at pre-marriage we would have had a hard time with me staying home. After the salary hikes he is making just a tiny but under what me + him used to make. He could be making more but he doesn't want to do the specific kinds of programming he would have to do and it's ok.

We lived with one car and a motorcycle for a number of years and only acquired a second vehicle in the last few months. We have very little debt, primarily a mortgage and one other thing that will be paid off by the end of the year (we only started the purchase in March so it's not like we have paid much interest). We live somewhat frugally day-to-day so that we can afford to travel and do fun stuff. But uhm, really he just makes a buttload of money. It's kind of crazy really. (In my defense we live in a craptastic little house that we will never be able to afford to move out of and I'm ok with that because I choose to spend the money we have in much more interesting ways. And our cars are five years old and won't be replaced until they die an ignoble death. I shop thrift stores. We aren't living the high life.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:59 PM

I work in electronics manufacturing for a large defense contractor. Specifically, I route and solder wired connectors inside antenna subassemblies for US Navy aircraft. I promise you, it's not nearly as exciting as it sounds. I spend most of my day sitting at my workstation staring into a microscope. DP does the exact same thing, it's actually how we met

We've figured my 12 weeks of FMLA will be up sometime in mid-November if this baby comes on time and I'm going to stick it out at work until the end of the year for my 2011 vacation/sick entitlement. I'm conserving as much vacation time from my 2010 allotment so that I can ideally go back to work "part time" for those few weeks. DP will still be in school full time and working full time so it's going to be incredibly difficult on me essentially being a single working mom to a young toddler and a newborn.

But after January our plan is to live off of DP's salary while I stay home with the kids and transition back into school myself. DP will have his degree in December so we'll be able to flex whatever needs to be flexed for me to get into a school-family balance that works for us. This will be my 3rd and likely final attempt at getting my electronics engineering degree, so wish me luck! (and patience...and focus...)
Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
The time came for me to return to work, and I couldnt do it. We looked at what DH could make and decided if we eliminated all unnecessary spending and pulled things in really tight, we could do it. FWIW, our GROSS for last year was $24,000 and things have been way more flexible than when I first stopped working. I dont really understand it, but I think we are just used to not spending, and we recognise the flexibility within our budget. IDK.

Our cars have both been paid off for some time. We cashed out my retirement and paid my hospital bills off. We had already paid down any debt before the baby came. The only thing we cant pay is school loans. My husband racked up HUGE loan bills, so we do the income based repayment program now.

DS is on medicaid. We utilize WIC, though we dont get all the food. We will be eligible for food stamps in August, we should be eligible now, but it gets confusing.

I am on medicaid while pregnant. I had a high deductible insurance plan for a while before i got pregnant, but with all the local resources for low income, it just wasnt worth it, so I dropped it and just go without health insurance.

We dont have cable tv. We do pay for internet, and we have cell phones. DH's work pays for his, and mine allows me to talk to my family all I want, so it is completely worth it.

I dont have a big faith based feeling on it. We just decided to make it work. We decided it was more important for me to stay home than to feel more comfortable finacially. We are lucky to have a cars paid off and to have a low morgage payment. If one of our cars dies, we will probably have just one car. We live on a fairly strict budget and really have to stick to it, because the money just isnt there.

I feel bad that we are having another child. We werent planning on it. I feel like I am irresponsible because of it, like we should have been more careful. But, it's done, and I cant take it back although I can say confidently that we will not have any more children.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 AM

I'm a sahm. I homeschool. I was going to school, but my last day of the semester was Wed. I am planning to return the end of Nov. though.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am a tenured science professor. I run two departments. General science and a degree program in Energy & Science. So I teach a lot and have administrative duties. I am also part-time faculty for another university teaching science, so I can get a tuition discount because I am a full-time doctoral student in Public Health, Epidemiology. It's my third PhD so I'm a bit "over it" right now but I still have to do my clinical trial this summer and finish 2 more classes. Joy. I also am a senior editor for government proposals once a month or so and I run a nutrition consulting business.

Since my due date is August 26th, and classes get out August 21st, I'll be teaching over the summer and hopefully teaching online for fall quarter. I'm not a "stop what I'm doing" kinda gal, so I'm going to try hard to keep life moving as normally as possible, with the addition of a baby girl. We'll see! I am already exhausted and have insomnia so I figure it'll be nothing new in that department
Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
We had decided from very early on (like 5 years before having kids) that I would be staying at home. Before having kids dh worked towards the highest income he could manage (probably lower middle class for the area) and we bought a house that was way under our budget.

Frankly, I couldn't afford to go to work. Between the crappy wage I could pull, daycare, bus fare etc it wouldn't be worth it. Never mind the happiness factor. We are a much, much happier family with someone home full time. The house stays clean, we eat from scratch meals, I manage the finances, grow our garden, homeschool the kids. It just ends up being cheaper for us.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 AM

I'm a wife to my husband and a mom to my daughter. That keeps me plenty busy.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Right now I'm sort of a SAHM, WAHM and have a (very) part time job. I never know what to call myself because I have a pretty good balance of everything. I'd consider myself a SAHM most of all because that's what I spend most of my time doing. I also have 2 etsy shops that are fairly steady and I fill in as a florist at my old job sometimes when they need help (here and there, and I'll be working Mother's Day week. That being said, my husband is definitely the breadwinner. We're not a super traditional couple (he's not afraid to jump in with housework and cooking/taking care of our daughter) but I'd say I do the majority of those things just because I'm home more.
I just finished the book Radical Homemakers and while I'd say I'm not where most of the women featured in the book are *yet*, I'm definitely working towards that lifestyle as a goal. I want to spend my time as a SAHM being more frugal, self sufficient, conscious and earth friendly. I'm just trying to replace some of the behaviors I'm used to right now (line drying instead of using dryer, cooking waaay more instead of eating out, etc.). I'm in awe of a lot of you ladies and how much you've accomplished/how much you tackle in a day.

I'm Amanda, wife to Dustin, mommy to 3 year old Lucy and baby Lincoln, born 8-20-10. 1 I love to craft, sew and knit, and we love our backyard chickens.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM

I'm a SAHM and even after 2.5 years I'm still terrible at juggling it all. I spend most of my time outside with my ds letting him learn. We are growing our first small garden this year too. When inside I am usually in the kitchen cooking, but trying to clean up the house too.

Mama to Noah (3) and Rebekah (09/2/10) femalesling.GIF
Old 04-27-2010, 01:36 PM

i'm a sahm and homeschooling. i sew and have an etsy shop, but other than that, i stick to homemaking duties.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegal View Post

Since my due date is August 26th, and classes get out August 21st, I'll be teaching over the summer and hopefully teaching online for fall quarter. I'm not a "stop what I'm doing" kinda gal, so I'm going to try hard to keep life moving as normally as possible, with the addition of a baby girl. We'll see! I am already exhausted and have insomnia so I figure it'll be nothing new in that department
How many classes are you planning to teach? I'm a distance education librarian and hang out in online courses (about 25-30 each semester) helping students with research, and I'm planning to do that for the fall semester from home, but I'll hopefully have 4 good pp weeks before it starts, and I only plan to be online 1-2 hours each day.

With my first baby, I was totally overwhelmed for the first few weeks, but then I desperately craved some sense of normalcy for the rest of my 16 wk leave. I'm hoping that this will be a good balance for me, and I hope it will for you, too. I would be a little leery about teaching a full load, though.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 AM

Really great reading about all of you mamas, and such a wide variety of lifestyles here, I love it!! We are a low (one) income family among many mid and high income ex-pat fams here in Paris, who talk about their gardens and houses, and cars and nannies and housecleaners all the time. It makes me feel even more isolated even though they speak english.
We live in the Paris burbs in a small apt. I'm trying desperately to grow a couple strawberries on my windowsill and daydream about one day having a beautiful garden like I once did in Oregon.
I'm a SAHM with a hope of becoming a WAHM sewing cloth diapers or even just finding any job with my horrible level of French. Just seeking motivation and inspiration!!
Living in Paris is not as glamourous as it sounds. Getting around with a stroller and a growing baby belly on pub trans just about brings me to tears everytime I leave the house. The metro is nothing but stairs and more stairs.
Even a simple thing like bringing my DD to the local library isn't an enjoyable activity because everything is in French.
Ugh, I know I sound like I have total culture shock, but I've been in europe for 4 years and used to be independent and active in the states, and here I just feel really isolated and don't have much to do but housework and taking DD to the playground.
I do have to say I am extremely grateful to the 2x a week very high quality child care that is almost free if you don't count that half my DH's pay is taken in taxes.
I look forward to moving back to the states after this baby is born, where things are much more affordable and DH can have a more satisfying job, and my children and I can have more opportunites too.
I used to work in mental health, then worked towards my masters in Forest Science before stopping to move to europe.
I did a half year program/internship on agri-tourism/wine & olive oil production, in Italy 2 years ago. LOVED the field, but no opportunities in it here in the burbs.
In the meantime of all my daydreams and frustrations, I try my best to make the best of what I have, and experience the good things about France. I've learned so much since being here about different culture, acceptance, new languages and food! Working towards using my time more wisely, living simply, getting more housework/ cooking done and to hopefully start up this crazy business idea that may just get me out of the funk.

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
How many classes are you planning to teach? I'm a distance education librarian and hang out in online courses (about 25-30 each semester) helping students with research, and I'm planning to do that for the fall semester from home, but I'll hopefully have 4 good pp weeks before it starts, and I only plan to be online 1-2 hours each day.

With my first baby, I was totally overwhelmed for the first few weeks, but then I desperately craved some sense of normalcy for the rest of my 16 wk leave. I'm hoping that this will be a good balance for me, and I hope it will for you, too. I would be a little leery about teaching a full load, though.
Over the summer I will have 2 12-week online Nutrition courses and 4 6-week misc courses (enviro sci, nutrition, biology) at my second university teaching job. I too am looking forward to keeping it "normal." Fall quarter I'll have 3 at my tenure college (12 weeks) and then maybe cut back to only 1 "extra" for the 6-week university term. Whenever I have just one day of "nothing" I'm always so ready to get back to work!!

I'm glad you can keep doing what you're doing, too! It keeps the mind sharp, the resume moving forward, and life as fun as possible I think!

User Tag List