Do you feel baby practice breathing/swallowing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This happened with my first, and now this one is doing it! I can feel these rhytmic up and down motions from her, but it's not hiccups. It feels like she is breathing. When my first was born, she came out sucking the air, and that urge hasn't gone away yet -- at 2.5, she still uses a paci sometimes, and if we still nursed, I'm sure she'd be at it several times a day.

Anyone else feel this?

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yep, I sure do! I don't remember if it was noticeable with all my pregnancies, but certainly the last baby and this one.

I know where his/her back is, and I can feel this little rapid inhale/exhale motions that will last a few minutes-right over the back! It is different than the ultra fast and jerkiness of hiccups, which center in the same space..so definitely diaphragm!

How cool is this? Gosh, I never get bored of the miracle taking place!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#3 of 5 Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM

THATS what that is!!!!! I feel it once in a while from this LO.

And I totally agree with you MyFillingQuiver, making a baby is SUCH an amazing miracle. I sometimes still sit here and cannot get over how amazing it is that a human can make a little human inside of it. I know its the way it has always worked lol, but it still just amazes me how we do it

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#4 of 5 Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM
LZP

I have been feeling this for the past couple of weeks... it's very rapid though. it was making me nervous for a bit, since it was NOT jerky like hiccups. it felt like really fast breathing.

i know this is a paranoid 1st time mama thing to ask- but it's not possible for a baby to have a seizure in utero, right?! this is where my crazy head goes when it happens. I just want to make sure she's not under distress in there.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#5 of 5 Old 06-16-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
I have been feeling this for the past couple of weeks... it's very rapid though. it was making me nervous for a bit, since it was NOT jerky like hiccups. it felt like really fast breathing.

i know this is a paranoid 1st time mama thing to ask- but it's not possible for a baby to have a seizure in utero, right?! this is where my crazy head goes when it happens. I just want to make sure she's not under distress in there.
Sometimes my baby does this rapid sustained jerky movement thing, and I totally agree that it feels like a seizure! So weird! But I think in my case it's just that she's getting into a more comfortable position, and she's so cramped that she has to do her movements in short inching bursts. Do you think that could be what you're feeling?

Funny, but since I posted this about the breathing/swallowing, I haven't felt it again. DD1 did it all the time, so I figured I was in for another baby with an oral fixation, but maybe not.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page