Honestly Tell Me What You Think Of This Name Please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so we were told we are having a boy, so for now I am sticking with that LOL.

We have had a boys name picked out for a loooong time and most people I have told seem to like it, but there are also a lot of people that hate it (my sister hates it the most)

So please, would you tell me what you think of this name?

Bode Keam B(last name)

Bode is pronounces like Bo-dee and Keam like Kee-am.

Bode is a name that DH and I like and we are both German so we picked the German spelling. Keam is a mixture of first initials of men in our family and a name we were going to use as a middle name no matter what the first name was.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#2 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Really? Bode make me think of the partying snowboarder. I don't hate it at all. Keam is fine but I'd count on it being mispronounced all the time.
#3 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM

I like Bode! Keam is not bad but I agree that it may be mispronounced (I was thinking "Keem").

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#4 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with Bode. I do like it, but it's not my naming style, lol.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#5 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM

My dh's nickname is Bodi, so ... love that! Not so much Keam, but whatever works for ya.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#6 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 03:20 PM

Not feeling it.

I suspect you'll get a lot of people pronouncing it without the "ee" at the end.
#7 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
Not feeling it.

I suspect you'll get a lot of people pronouncing it without the "ee" at the end.
I agree. I would pronounce that Bode (like road) Kee-am.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#8 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 PM

I like the sound of Bode, but I wouldn't know how to pronounce it propertly without being told. It'll only take once, though, and people will get it. I like the middle name, too, though again I would need to hear it once to know how to say it. Middle names aren't that important outside of the family, though.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#9 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 04:01 PM

ddcc

At first look it makes me think of the phrase "that does not bode well..." So to me it has sort of ominous undertones.

I would never come up with the proper pronunciation from just looking at it. The actual pronunciation could leave him open to hassles due to it's similarity to "body" and "booty" (if that's still a term in use when he's older).

It wouldn't be my pick.
#10 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM

I love it!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#11 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Oh and so what if people mispronounce it? People misspell my name all the time and it's a season! Or I will tell them my kid's name and they still can't pronounce it! There are
plenty of names out there that would be mispronounced/misspelled by most
people-I don't think that's a reason to not use a name (like Siobhan? I love that name but you think most people know how to say it? Doubtful!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#12 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know a little one named Bowden, nicknamed Bodie - "Bow-dee", and the nickname is spelled like that.

I would think of the word "bode" with your spelling, too, I'm afraid.
#13 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
ddcc

At first look it makes me think of the phrase "that does not bode well..." So to me it has sort of ominous undertones.

I would never come up with the proper pronunciation from just looking at it. The actual pronunciation could leave him open to hassles due to it's similarity to "body" and "booty" (if that's still a term in use when he's older).

It wouldn't be my pick.

Agree with all that. Spell the Bodee or Bodhi or Bodie and you might get the pronunciation you prefer.

Middle names can be odd. No biggie. I think a middle name is a great place to show off parent's personalities or honor dead relatives. A good friend of ours gave her kids Star Trek middle names. You know, Joshua Kirk Smith or Matthew Riker Jones.
#14 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 06:49 PM

I like the name, not the spelling. I have a friend with the last name Bode pronounced like road, so that is how I would say it. I don't dislike the middle name either, but I'm not crazy about how the two names sound together. It's kind of hard to get off my tongue. With that said, though I do think Bode (pronounced the way you want it) is a cool (yet not 'trendy') unique name that could really have potential to take on your little ones personality. It's cute for a kid yet I think a man could have that name and still be respected, kwim? And if you love the name, it shouldn't really matter what other people think.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#15 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 PM

absolutely love it!

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#16 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 PM

It seems like Bode is becoming somewhat trendy (not "There will be 5 in his class! Don't do it!" trendy, but I have heard of a handful of baby Bodes being born in the past few years) so I wouldn't make up a fake spelling for it because I think plenty of people will know how to pronounce it. Bode ****** is a fairly well known personality, for anyone who watches the Olympics.

It's not my style, but I don't think it's awful or anything.

IMO middle names don't really matter, so I think you should do whatever you want. I wouldn't worry about the mispronunciation, because who reads out someone's middle name? My middle name is my grandmother's maiden name and it's impossible to spell or pronounce but I've never had a problem with that, because I don't think it's ever come up. I think it's really nice that you're honoring family members with the middle name.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#17 of 25 Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 PM

I love the first name.. the middle name has meaning to you so thats all that matters. People don't usually refer to people with their middle name included. I do agree that the spelling of Bode is a bit harder to figure out how to say it just by looking at it but.. SO WHAT!
#18 of 25 Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 AM

Love Bode, very cool! I just don't like the idea of giving someone two names that may both require a pronunciation lesson/explanation. If I give an unusual first name (and yes, all 3 dd's names are pretty unusual), I like to give a straightforward sounding, simply spelled middle name. That's just me, though! There is certainly nothing wrong with either name. Both have a lot of personality!

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#19 of 25 Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 AM

I like each name by itself, but not so much together. Reminds me of "body cream" for some reason. A good friend recently named her DS Brody, which I like a bit better as I think it is easier to say, and doesn't lend itself to being mis-said from the printed name. When I first read it, I thought "bode" (like fortell), not bo-dee. The middle name is fine in and of itself, and has a good meaning.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#20 of 25 Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think he will have to always tell people how to say his name. That's not the end of the world, but it will be a constant. We have that with our daughter's name too. (Shanna--pronounced Shan-uh, not Shawn-uh)

It's not one I would pick, but it's not terrible.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#21 of 25 Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM

I have a friend with a wee Bodhi, so I really like the name. I do worry that given the German spelling it will be mispronounced forever though.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#22 of 25 Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 PM

If you both love it, just go for it. Hearing other people's lukewarm opinions is exactly why we choose not to tell anyone our chosen names until after the birth. I don't think you can ever make everyone happy, so at least make yourselves happy

Enjoying life with DH. Mom to one busy DS 11/06 two happy and someone new expected 7/30
#23 of 25 Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, ladies! I really appreciate all the feedback. Its nice to know how people will view his name (if in fact this really is a boy LOL).

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
#24 of 25 Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 AM

I have a Bodhi, spelled with the Sanscrit spelling, and my husband calls him "Bod" all the time. So if "Bode" is mispronounced as "Bod", then so what? I like your spelling too. And I agree to not worry about middle names- that's where you can do whatever you want!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#25 of 25 Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not a name I would pick, but I certainly don't hate it. I would have definitely pronounced it wrong though!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page