I Am So Tired... Wondering About Anemia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the past week or so, I've been completely exhausted. I've been taking like an hour and a half nap in the morning... and then a two hour nap in the afternoon... plus getting 8-9 hours of sleep at night. I think it's probably more than just third trimester fatigue, and I may have any anemia.

Anybody have any recommendations for iron supplements? I remember being prescribed one by my OB with my first that did not agree with my at all. I was miserable.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#2 of 9 Old 06-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That does seem like more than a normal amount of fatigue.

The only iron supplement I would trust is Floradix. It's an organic iron and also has a combination of herbs in it that makes it more absorbable. It's liquid and can be either taken straight or mixed into a little orange juice or something to make it more palatable. It's pricey, but well worth it to not have the awful side effects of other iron supplements.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 9 Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 AM

I second the OP advice, liquid Floradix. My MW recommended it as well as the midwives I used to work with. The herbs (that are high in vit C) in the formula aids your body in assimilating the iron and digesting. I paid $22 for a bottle that lasted about 2 weeks but worth it because the pill form made me constipated. Just what we don't need in our third trimester!

I too was feeling very fatigued and recent blood work indicated that my iron levels were a bit low. Within a few days, I began to notice an uplifting of my energy levels. After a week, I was doing so much better. What a relief!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#4 of 9 Old 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM

DDCC

I'm 26 weeks. After sleeping 9 hours last night, I just took a 2.5 hour nap this morning (I work from home & DS is in care with babysitter until 3). I am feeling exhausted as well. With my first pregnancy, I was craving red meat all the time, and never slept this much. Is Floradix something that is okay even if you are not necessarily low on iron? How would you know if you were (is a blood test the only way)?

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#5 of 9 Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 AM

I'm taking Floradix on the recommendation of my mw, and they didn't do a blood test, first. I'm 32w, and after having good energy for many months, I just got exhausted, sleeping a lot more, periodic dizziness and rapid heart rate. Those are all signs of low iron, thus the Floradix. I tend to do whatever I can to avoid having my blood drawn...
Low iron levels are very very common in the 3rd tri.
#6 of 9 Old 06-19-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelina View Post
DDCC

I'm 26 weeks. After sleeping 9 hours last night, I just took a 2.5 hour nap this morning (I work from home & DS is in care with babysitter until 3). I am feeling exhausted as well. With my first pregnancy, I was craving red meat all the time, and never slept this much. Is Floradix something that is okay even if you are not necessarily low on iron? How would you know if you were (is a blood test the only way)?

I am thinking that it wouldn't hurt to take extra iron, even if your levels weren't low. Its probably good to try and prevent becoming anemic. So to back-up my assumption, I did a bit of research and found some good info at: www.anemia.org/patients/faq/

"Pregnancy places major demands on the body because the mother must meet the needs of both her body and her growing baby. The mother’s body needs enough iron and folate to make the right amount of red blood cells. Most anemia during pregnancy results from this increased need for iron. It is estimated that women will need approximately 50% more iron during pregnancy, increasing from 18 to 27 milligrams (mg) per day. Even a well-balanced diet can only provide about 12-14 mg of iron per day, well short of the iron a pregnant woman requires.

In order to prevent iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy, it is often necessary for pregnant women to take iron supplements. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all pregnant women should take a daily supplement of 30mg of elemental iron. The expectant mother should also stay in close contact with her doctor and gynecologist, and be sure to eat a diet that includes foods rich in iron and folate, like liver and dark green leafy vegetables.

In order to correct anemia, your body must manufacture new red blood cells to replace those that were lost. It takes about 5-7 days to start developing red blood cells which should increase hemoglobin levels within 2-3 weeks of starting iron supplementation.

Following childbirth, the mother’s body needs to start making new red blood cells. To do so, she will need enough iron to make hemoglobin, the part of the red blood cell that carries oxygen throughout the body. If she has anemia and there is not enough stored iron, her body will be unable to raise hemoglobin levels and reverse the anemia. Low iron levels before and after childbirth may require treatment.

Approximately 10% of women will suffer from anemia within the first six months after delivering their baby and 4% of women will have anemia lasting up to twelve months. Anemia experienced by mothers during this time following childbirth is called postpartum anemia and is usually caused by iron deficiency. Mothers suffering from postpartum anemia most likely lost a large amount of blood during childbirth, had twins or other multiple births, or were anemic during the third trimester of pregnancy. In any case, losing large amounts of blood or having low iron levels leaves the mother at risk for developing anemia."

Information came from: www.anemia.org/patients/faq/

I hope that helps.... of course, ask your care provider what they would recommend.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#7 of 9 Old 06-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Thank you ladies for recommending the Floradix! I was borderline low during my first pregnancy and the regular drugstore supplements were so gross. I totally forgot about the iron issue until I read this thread and my fatigue is making sense now. I just bought some Floradix yesterday, I figured it's not going to hurt to take it without having my levels tested.

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#8 of 9 Old 06-20-2010, 07:30 PM

I had this issue about a month and a half ago. Right around when it got real bad, I think at 27-28 weeks, I had my blood drawn (for usual testing). We found out I was severely vitamin D deficient, and my iron was fine. Had I not had the blood draw. I would have treated myself for low iron (as that is what I thought was going on)...

Anyway, I was so tired that i could not even function anymore and vit D has pretty much turned it around for me. I would ask your midwife or doctor to check your iron levels before you start slamming down a bunch of iron supplements (not that it would hurt any, it just may not be your main issue).

my 2 cents

Christian helpmeet, homeschooling, homebirthing, homesteading wife, happily raising our family completely naturally. Mother to 5 children, 1 angel and new baby due in August!
#9 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 AM

I just started taking Floradix at 30 weeks after my blood test said the vit D and iron is low... Unlike the pills last time, no effect so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page