Random Chat Thread - for things that don't need a whole thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't keep up with the weekly (or apparently bi-weekly) chat threads - I suck, I know! So going to give this a try...an ongoing brain download and snippet thread for things that just don't go anywhere else and don't need a lot of space!

-------------------------------------

Had a cleaning service come in today for a top to bottom 'deep spring cleaning'. They even did the blinds, oven and fridge! It was so worth the money (my mom sprung for half!) as my sister, niece and brother will be in town on Monday morning and I just can't clean like I want. My husband made me come admire the lack of hard water stains in the toilet, I laughed so much at that.

Hoping to have them come back every other month for a bit and do a much better job of maintaining in between visits.

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
#2 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the new thread Taylah!

Cleaning service sounds great.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#3 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm having the same kind of cleaning service come in at about 37-38 weeks pregnant to clean my house for me. I just can't do the deep cleaning right now, but really want the house spic and span for the homebirth. I'm excited to have my blinds all cleaned. The floors also REALLY need scrubbed, but our entire house is hardwood (3 bedroom, 2-story), so it's waaaay more than I can do on my own right now!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Heartburn, leg cramps and shortness of breath....that's all I've got right now.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#5 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM

I have a cleaning service that already comes every 2 weeks, but they keep getting more and more slapdash. I never was very impressed with them from the beginning, but they quoted me such a low rate that I felt it was good enough for what I was paying. Now, though, I'm just getting ticked off that I have to vacuum right after they leave. They must zoom through a room in 10 seconds. I've complained several times before, and things will improve for one visit and then get bad again. I feel like such a shrill *itch when I complain, too. I think I'm going to have to find someone else, but I can't seem to get motivated to do it.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#6 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 AM

We are planning on having someone come and do a deep clean this fall too. I think it should be before baby comes, but dh thinks it might be better to have them come after baby is a month old or so, when the house will be really dirty.

Which would you prefer??

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#7 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM

We finally have an offer on our house. If all goes well we'll be moving around the 15th of July. It'll take 4 days to get to the new house and then I'll have 30 days until my due date. We'll find out Tuesday if all the conditions have been met. It's going to be crazy!

Dh will be taking paternity leave so he'll be home to help out, do renos etc.

I've never needed a cleaning service and this baby number 3. Our current house has been reno'd and organized to our needs so it doesn't take much time to clean up every day. The kids are pretty good at helping out and like I said dh will be home this time around.
#8 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Oooo! I'm so jealous of y'all getting your houses cleaned! We're just in a townhome right now so its not too big. We just have a ton of stuff that needs to be chunked. After we do that I think it'll look a lot better. DH is really nice about vacuuming if things are put away but he has no clue what to do with clutter so that's all up to me. :-/

Beth - I would rather have the house cleaned before the baby comes so that its all nice for your babymoon.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#9 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 01:37 PM

How much do cleaning services like that run? Like a one time, clean my entire house spotless thing. My mom has offered to help come and organize and deep clean my house for me. I'm just physically unable to do it and it's gotten way out of hand. We rent and our home is pretty small, but it would be great to do things like wash the windows, base boards, get all my blankets and sheets washed, clean the blinds, etc.

I would also prefer it done before baby gets here. I figure I'll actually have more physical capability after the baby is here than I do now. I'm sure I'll be tired, but at least I'll be able to walk.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#10 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 PM

I have really been contemplating having a deep clean done before the baby gets here. We'll have family coming and going after the birth and I totally intend to put them to work around the house. But beforehand I know I'm going to need some help and DH just isn't good at cleaning of any kind.

Also wondering how much you ladies pay/paid?

Wife to 8/07, SAHM to DS1 12/08 & DS2 7/10
#11 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 PM

I'd love to have someone come in and clean -- I'm pathetic at keeping up with that.

I have one great day, then one exhausted day. I had a big work deadline and would work like crazy (I work from home in the evenings), then crash and sleep as much as possible the next day. Today I went strawberry picking and got 26 lbs of berries and spent all afternoon making jam and freezing them. I suspect I'll be a lump tomorrow. Thankfully, my husband (the teacher) is off until Wednesday, then only works half days for the summer. Hurrah!

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#12 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 PM

I'm still waiting for a quote from the cleaning company I picked. They use all green and safe products which is part of what sold me on them. It wouldn't be worth it to me to drop a couple hundred bucks or whatever to have my home filled with chemicals right before a new baby comes.

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png

#13 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

My service was initial cleaning for $216 for 3 hours (1400 square feet) including fridge/oven/blinds (which may have been extra) and they estimate 2 hours for the monthly cleaning at $144. (my husband is balking a bit and feels we only need it bi-monthly, but I told him it's up to him to prove it to me and he is NOT a housekeeper at all).

Limette how exciting! But also intimidating to move so close to due date! I wish my husband was good about helping in the house like yours!

COgirl19 I'm feeling you! Though the leg cramps have been better since I started making myself eat a banana every other day and started taking calcium suppliments.

My sister, niece and brother will be here on Monday before I get home from work, I'm excited about their visit and showing them around. I'm also worried about overdoing it, or disappointing them that I can't do more.

Work is ramping up in a big way. Trying to not let myself get overwhelmed, but it's difficult. Not only do I have to do my normal work, a big board meeting offsite to plan and support & get prepped for a HUGE 4 day event before the end of the month. But then after all that gets done and wrapped up I have to train someone to do my job (I'm not a good trainer ) Just hoping for the best in all this

#14 of 93 Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 PM

I'm so jealous of everyone getting cleaning services! I mean... I think our place is like 600 sq ft but its a crazy mess! We just have too much stuff that needs to be thrown out or organized and I think that would not be covered in a cleaning service. Okay, I just want someone to do my dishes. I'm packing up around 3/4 of our dishes so we don't have a million to do if we get behind!
Taylah - wow, my hat is off to you! I can hardly function at home.. I can't imagine working as hard as you right now!

I've changed care providers.. AGAIN! AHH hahaha. I'm finally totally secure and happy with this though, seriously. So I feel ultra relieved, destressed and excited now! hooray!
#15 of 93 Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 AM

I've been waiting for it to arrive and it did..... NESTING. I spring cleaned the kitchen, wiped the shelves down and cleaned food containers, organized, and donated items we don't use, and threw away expired food items. It looks beautiful! Well, part of it does. I didn't deep clean the oven or frig. The urge left, it only lasted a day. When it comes back, I'll clean those..... maybe. I love the idea of a cleaning service coming to my house but I'm not comfortable with that. Oh well.

I finally found a changing table, it is gently used and came with fabric-lined baskets. It was nice to finally have somewhere to put my son's clothes and misc items, outta the tote and into cute baskets. Fun!

Limette: I was wondering how you were doing... a big Yeah! I hope it goes well, my fingers are crossed for you guys.

Taylah: Thanks for the thread..... and wow, you have a full plate! If you can, treat yourself to a prenatal massage during that hectic time and when you finally take your maternity leave. Yes? I hope you have a good visit with your family. I have family coming down for the 4th and I am so glad my DH will be home that weekend (he works away from home half the month) to help entertain.

Miss Morgan: What about a professional organizer instead of a cleaning service? We too have a small space, so I can totally relate. I've been purging/organizing, doing one area at a time, that seems to help so that I don't overdo it.... So you change providers? Are you still doing a homebirth?

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#16 of 93 Old 06-19-2010, 06:17 AM

isras, my nesting bug finally kicked in this past week, too. Unfortunately so did the dang summer cold that everyone around me has had for the past two weeks.. I feel like crap and can't sleep I'm trying not to be too cranky about not actually getting to nest. I have a feeling it will be a short lived burst of energy and this cold is a stinker that no one seems to be able to shake.

I'm so jealous of the cleaning services! The house isn't in terrible shape, but a good deep clean (yk, walls, baseboards, actually taking everything off the shelves to dust, etc) would be AWESOME! hmm, I wonder who wants to give me a present....

I'm going back to bed. In the hopes that I might actually be able to sleep some more (been up since 2:30. Insomnia rocks). I'll check back in later!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#17 of 93 Old 06-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Nesting bug has bit me too. I just want to go through my house room by room and get rid of whatever we wouldn't want to move or I wouldn't want to clean up. It helps that DH just applied for a job out of state. Don't know if he'll get it, but it puts us A LOT closer to family and so I've been really excited about that.

I would love to have a cleaning service come in and do the big time cleaning, but that isn't going to happen. At least, not right now.
#18 of 93 Old 06-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Taylah--you hardly suck :P I wouldn't have been able to remember, either!

I've been nesting like crazy. Throwing away tons of clutter, washing all the baby clothes and putting them away and dying to knit a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately I don't have any yarn that fits the projects I want and no extra money right now to buy it .

I went to the chiropractor for the first time this week and, WOW. What a difference. I felt like I wasn't even pregnant afterwards. I went for a walk and didn't waddle! It was amazing. Unfortunately he's out of network for my insurance and the visits are $22. Not too bad, but he wants to see me twice a week and almost $200 a month in visits is hard to justify. I guess we'll see.

DH is still a little reluctant about a homebirth, but he finally came clean with me and said it was because he was worried about safety and that it seemed "like some kind of hippy dippy" thing. He was under the false impression that our birth center was "safer" than home. I told him the statistics, and he admitted that he's done NO research and doesn't really want to take the time to do it. Kind of frustrating but makes me feel more vindicated in my choice to kind of go against his wishes there. If he's not going to bother to research, than I'm not going to bother to appease him.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#19 of 93 Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMorgan View Post

I've changed care providers.. AGAIN! AHH hahaha. I'm finally totally secure and happy with this though, seriously. So I feel ultra relieved, destressed and excited now! hooray!
Oh goodness! Sounds like me with my first DD. We moved states when I was about 5 months along, so obviously I switched then. I had a couple appts. with a new midwife where we live now. I then heard some not so great things about her and never really loved her to begin with. I ended up switching at 32-34 weeks (somewhere in there) to the midwife I delivered with at a totally different hospital. It was quite the experience, but well worth it to be with someone I trusted!

#20 of 93 Old 06-20-2010, 01:00 AM

Can someone explain to me how I gained 4-5 lbs in 3 days? I was not sitting around eating ice cream the whole time. Although, that sounds fairly pleasant I've very steadily gained a pound a week throughout most of the second and third trimesters (and was getting cocky about my lower gain compared to my earlier pregnancies), then BAM, I went up like a rocket. I'm not swollen. Did the baby suddenly go from 3-6 lbs or something? I'll be curious to see if I stay at this weight or keep shooting up now. I'm up about 24 lbs, so it's really reasonable overall, I was just disturbed to see it jump that much.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#21 of 93 Old 06-20-2010, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrobynne View Post
Can someone explain to me how I gained 4-5 lbs in 3 days? I was not sitting around eating ice cream the whole time. Although, that sounds fairly pleasant I've very steadily gained a pound a week throughout most of the second and third trimesters (and was getting cocky about my lower gain compared to my earlier pregnancies), then BAM, I went up like a rocket. I'm not swollen. Did the baby suddenly go from 3-6 lbs or something? I'll be curious to see if I stay at this weight or keep shooting up now. I'm up about 24 lbs, so it's really reasonable overall, I was just disturbed to see it jump that much.
The little one may have hit a sudden growth spurt!

I gained 8lbs in the last month - now before you groan at me, I'm quite overweight and they wanted me to gain between 11-20lbs for the whole pregnancy. This brought my total up to 19lbs gained from my pre-pregnancy weight right as I'm heading into the weight gain stretch! I was basically astounded because I didn't think I'd been doing all that bad. Then, I realized that since my last appointment I decided to splurge and have a morning frappucino, as my energy levels have been waning. I haven't been getting non-fat or low-fat even, just "white mocha frappucino please!" about 4 times a week. We're now doing non-fat, no whip.

This was worse than my 3 times a week guacamole gain...

#22 of 93 Old 06-20-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylah View Post
This brought my total up to 19lbs gained from my pre-pregnancy weight right as I'm heading into the weight gain stretch!
Taylah, I wouldn't worry too much about gaining tons in the last month or two. Maybe I'm weird, but I've never gained after 36 weeks (and my babies were born over 9 lbs at 42w2d and 40w5d). I think my uterus must take up so much space that it hurts to eat much more than small amounts by then. I usually bounce back and forth, gaining two pounds one week, then losing them the next week for the 9th+ month. My biggest gaining time has always been weeks 22-32, when I've averaged close to 2 lbs/wk. I gain 5-10 lbs before that and 5 lbs after, but concentrate it in the middle. So I was thinking that I was getting to the end of the big gaining time when it all came at once. I'm still 15 lbs under my first pregnancy weight at this stage in pregnancy and a few pounds under my second pregnancy weight. It was much harder to get around the last few weeks the time I weighed more (and it took much longer to lose it), so I'm hoping not to go there again.

#23 of 93 Old 06-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFay View Post
DH is still a little reluctant about a homebirth, but he finally came clean with me and said it was because he was worried about safety and that it seemed "like some kind of hippy dippy" thing. He was under the false impression that our birth center was "safer" than home. I told him the statistics, and he admitted that he's done NO research and doesn't really want to take the time to do it. Kind of frustrating but makes me feel more vindicated in my choice to kind of go against his wishes there. If he's not going to bother to research, than I'm not going to bother to appease him.

Sounds fair to me. Your DH will be one of your main supporters during the birth, but it is you and your baby's birth, thus your choice on where and how you want/need to birth. It certainly would help if he was more on board though. Does you MW have some pro-HB videos that you guys could watch together?

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#24 of 93 Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturefreak View Post
We are planning on having someone come and do a deep clean this fall too. I think it should be before baby comes, but dh thinks it might be better to have them come after baby is a month old or so, when the house will be really dirty.

Which would you prefer??
I would prefer before the birth--I always get stressed about visitors and dishes in the sink, ect...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMorgan View Post

So what are you doing? That's great that you've found your groove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrobynne View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I gain in spurts too; some people just do. I won't gain anything for awhile and then gain 10 lbs out of the blue and then not gain anything for awhile...

We've had sort of a traumatic weekend...my three yr old dd got her finger mashed pretty badly in a door--practically a decapitated digit--right above the bone. It is our first trip ever to the ER so that was stressful. She did so well, they were all amazed. We actually didn't even have to wait at the er! We wlaked in and there was no one there, so that was good, too. It's made for a long weekend tho. So tired from the stress of it all...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#25 of 93 Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
We've had sort of a traumatic weekend...my three yr old dd got her finger mashed pretty badly in a door--practically a decapitated digit--right above the bone. It is our first trip ever to the ER so that was stressful. She did so well, they were all amazed. We actually didn't even have to wait at the er! We wlaked in and there was no one there, so that was good, too. It's made for a long weekend tho. So tired from the stress of it all...
Oh my goodness! I hope she's doing ok now?

#26 of 93 Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isras1 View Post
Sounds fair to me. Your DH will be one of your main supporters during the birth, but it is you and your baby's birth, thus your choice on where and how you want/need to birth. It certainly would help if he was more on board though. Does you MW have some pro-HB videos that you guys could watch together?
Well, to be honest, he's not that much of a supporter during my births. He's gone from sitting in the fetal position in the corner of the delivery room with my first to quietly encouraging me (at my head) during our third. He was raised in the most uptight, prude family. Seriously, he never had the "birds and the bees" talk..he learned all that from school. When he asked he mother what a period was, she ignored him and walked away. Combine that with a few traumatic experiences with pain (including a near fatal car crash about 10 years ago) and he's near incapable of providing the support a woman needs while in labor. One, because he feels uncomfortable and useless with a woman when she's in that type of primal situation, he can't understand it. And, two, because he gets faint and has a hard time witnessing blood and people in pain. He's come leaps and bounds, and he tries his hardest to be what I need him to be, but I know his limits. He will quietly sit near me and tell me he loves me and whisper words of encouragement, but I can't expect him to be there at all times. I really rely on my mother and sister for that encouragment and support, and they've always worked out well
I just wanted him to be on board since he's already uncomfortable with birth in general. The more I think about it, I realize that he is someone who just has to be shoved into a situation that he doesn't feel comfortable with. He'll be apprehensive no matter what I say. I bet afterwards, he's singing the praises of homebirth!!

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#27 of 93 Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Oh no!!!! That must have been horrible for everyone! I hope she is okay and heals quickly.

#28 of 93 Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM

Has anyone else hit the point where the baby is really starting to impede upon stomach space? I just can't eat very much anymore in a single sitting. It's good for me because it gets me to eat less and not have room for dessert , but I really have the munchies right now and there's nothing I can do about it! I filled up the tiny space already and if I eat anymore I know I'll be sick. I've started going through my digestive enzymes like crazy again!

#29 of 93 Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
Has anyone else hit the point where the baby is really starting to impede upon stomach space? I just can't eat very much anymore in a single sitting. It's good for me because it gets me to eat less and not have room for dessert , but I really have the munchies right now and there's nothing I can do about it! I filled up the tiny space already and if I eat anymore I know I'll be sick. I've started going through my digestive enzymes like crazy again!
I am starting to eat less, which is good because I've already gained a little over 30 lbs and don't want to get past 35 if i can help it, though I certainly don't plan to diet. I started losing weight at this point last time because I couldn't maintain my appetite.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#30 of 93 Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylah View Post
Oh my goodness! I hope she's doing ok now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFay View Post
Oh no!!!! That must have been horrible for everyone! I hope she is okay and heals quickly.
She is doing really well, thanks! I gave her ibuprofen that night, and she's never complained about it since (except when I have to wrap it). It looks awful , tho--very swollen and beginning to bruise...such a trooper.

I have been so tired lately. I think it's partially the heat...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page