Reassurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need reassurance! We went out tonight with some friends and I ordered tilapia in a white wine butter sauce. It was divine until half way through when I thought... White wine sauce! So I tried to reassure myself that the alcohol cooks out but now I can't stop thinking about it. Please tell me everything is fine and it won't hurt my little girl! I feel like such an idiot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 11:57 PM

Your baby should be just fine. It sounds like you are avoiding alcohol during this pregnancy, so she will not be exposed again. And most likely the alcohol did cook out. If not, I bet it was such a small amount that it would not affect her.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 AM

Alcohol does cook out so it isnt a worry even if it didnt there would be so little in there it wouldnt be an issue. A glass of wine a day is fine according to most health care professionals anyway.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 AM

Both of my pregnancies after the 1rst trimester I have a glass of wine maybe once a month. Your baby is FINE! I also made a white wine sauce with chicken the other day...it was delicious! A lot less wine goes into wine sauce then you think anyway and the alcohol is gone by the time it's cooked.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 AM

Alcohol has a lower boiling point than water. So, when you are cooking food, which basically means heating the food up to a point where the water starts boiling, then the alcohol should boil away long before the food starts cooking. However, that depends on the amount of alcohol used.

Alcohol Burn Off in Cooking

You guys are fine, it is sweet of you to worry, already a good momma!

I had a delectable chocolate covered fig the other day, popped it into my mouth and as it was already half-melted in my mouth was when I noticed that it had an alcohol based filling. It was pretty strong and tasted sooooo good! I was worried for a moment and then decided, oh well. Alcohol in food seems harmless to me.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Now I want a glass of merlot... and a chocolate covered fig!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Alcohol in small amounts (like a glass of wine a day or less) is said to be just fine for baby after the first trimester. I think alcohol is one of those things that we treat as evil during pregnancy simply because there are people out there who will over indulge. So we've kind of fallen into telling moms that any amount should be avoided. I've had a glass of wine with dinner a couple of times for special occasions during this pregnancy with no guilt. I know a lot of midwives actually recommend a glass to help get sleep or help calm braxton hicks contractions. All of that aside, the alcohol was most likely cooked out. Breath. Everything is just fine.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
Alcohol in small amounts (like a glass of wine a day or less) is said to be just fine for baby after the first trimester. I think alcohol is one of those things that we treat as evil during pregnancy simply because there are people out there who will over indulge. So we've kind of fallen into telling moms that any amount should be avoided. I've had a glass of wine with dinner a couple of times for special occasions during this pregnancy with no guilt. I know a lot of midwives actually recommend a glass to help get sleep or help calm braxton hicks contractions. All of that aside, the alcohol was most likely cooked out. Breath. Everything is just fine.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 PM

I had a half a pint of guiness last night - I'm iron deficient and it is high in iron and b vitamins... good excuse. I also nursed it for quite a while... I agree with mammaB21. I think the warning about drinking during pregnancy is to prevent others who don't know when to stop from overindulging while pregnant. I don't drink very much while pregnant - this was the most in a long time! I will on the odd occassion have a sip or two of DH's beer. When I was pregnant with DS I was so surprised when a friend of mine (also pregnant) ordered a pint at a restaurant. This time I'm more relaxed... to a slight degree anyhow.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM

A tiny bit of cooked wine with food on your stomach in your 3rd trimester? Relax... calm down, have a glass of wine.... You're a good mama for thinking about this, but baby will be just fine. If it puts your min more at ease, pretend that instead of tilapia, you ate an over-ripe banana instead. It probably has about the same amount of alcohol in it.

I was astonished to learn that the original studies that were done on FAS babies compared a group of pregnant women who (self reported) drinking an average of 6 OR MORE servings of alcohol a day to a control group of pregnant women who drank none. No wonder why there are so many scary "pregnant women shouldn't consume alcohol" warnings everywhere.

I wish this country would get a grip, and learn how to do things in moderation!

Loving being a stay at home mamma to DD 10/07, and newly arrived DS 7/26/10
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I feel much better about it!! Figure the anxiety it caused me was probably worse for baby than the sauce!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
MJB

I had a nice glass of red wine while watching True Blood with my husband last night. I've been having a glass of wine or a beer 1-2 times a week since about 20 weeks. And don't forget sushi, deli sandwiches, and cookie dough with raw eggs!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayK View Post
I was astonished to learn that the original studies that were done on FAS babies compared a group of pregnant women who (self reported) drinking an average of 6 OR MORE servings of alcohol a day to a control group of pregnant women who drank none. No wonder why there are so many scary "pregnant women shouldn't consume alcohol" warnings everywhere.

I wish this country would get a grip, and learn how to do things in moderation!
Do you have a link to that? I knew that the original study was a bit skewed but I didn't realize it was that off. And, yes, I get seriously sick of the paranoia too.

OP, I enjoyed a beer last night. I think you're fine

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TBH, you should be -way- more worried about the chemicals in the Tilapia (a bottom feeder grown in warm waters that accumulates really high levels of pesticides and industrial chemicals).

Not trying to freak you out but....yeah.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Am I the only one who normally doesn't care for beer, but CRAVES one while pregnant? Man...now I really want a beer...

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFay View Post
Am I the only one who normally doesn't care for beer, but CRAVES one while pregnant? Man...now I really want a beer...
I usually am not a fan of beer but it has sounded pretty good to me this pregnancy. When it was cooler I had beer cheese soup and I made THESE yesterday.. (I'd recommend doubling the beer reduction in those though so you can actually taste it!)

So I had those and then I chugged down some Mimosa yesterday because I thought it was just regular OJ! Whoops! It didn't taste good to me though so I traded my partner for his regular OJ (hehehe!) I'm not in the least bit worried, and I agree that your anxiety about it is probably more harmful than anything.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 AM

I've seen the same study that LinsayK was referring to (although I can't find it now). I believe that was the study that looked at babies born to women who drank moderately to heavily during pregnancy. Of the mothers who drank heavily (as in 5+ drinks a day) 5% had babies with FAS.

Every other study I've read quotes something like 1% of all babies born in the US are born with FAS. It seems to be a pretty rare disorder, even among mothers who struggle with alcoholism. Some studies have even stated findings that alcohol in small amounts may actually be beneficial for the fetus. Although no study actually recommends or condones drinking alcohol. It's actually quite interesting how skewed our guidelines are. With all of the pesticides, food dies, antibiotics, mercury, hfcs, bpa, etc that are in our 'acceptable' foods, a glass of wine isn't even really on my radar.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I had a nice glass of red wine while watching True Blood with my husband last night. I've been having a glass of wine or a beer 1-2 times a week since about 20 weeks. And don't forget sushi, deli sandwiches, and cookie dough with raw eggs!
Oh, and pretty much ditto to this. MJB I could have practically written this!!! We absolutely True Blood, and how else can you watch it, really? Not to mention the sushi. Just had some yesterday. I've been craving it like crazy this pregnancy.

User Tag List