is time moving fast or slow? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm almost 31 weeks. How did that happen? Only 9 weeks left. Single digits. I want to start nesting, washing baby clothes and diapers etc. But I kind of think I should wait another month, it'll give me something to do during that last long month. So on one hand the birth seems imminent and on the other hand so far away!

I know I had a to do list for before the baby comes, but I can't remember what I wanted to get done. And I don't know if I have the energy for it even if I could remember. I feel like I'm just biding my time till the baby comes, trying to keep housework current so that the house isn't a disaster when the baby comes. That and try to get the kids out of the house so that I don't feel so guilty about the TV fest that's going to happen right after the baby comes. I even have a kids pool party planned for mid-July.

Can I just go to sleep and wake up the day of the birth? Though I'm not looking forward to the birth. After 2 wonderful home births, I am now (because of financial reasons) having a hospital birth. And not just a hospital birth with a midwife or natural birth minded dr, I'm stuck going to a Medi-Cal Clinic and the birth will be at a big hospital with whoever happens to be working that day. A hospital known for being a great place to have your surguries done cannot be a good place for a natural birth, right? I am trying not to stress about it. My dh swears he will fight for the things we want, that I won't have to do it. But I admit I worry whether 'they' will tell us we 'have' to do something and he won't say no. because he'll think we shouldn't sweat the 'small stuff', we should save it for the important things. which is partly true, but how many things are we going to end up compromising on? It's all just so unknown and scarey. Please someone share some GOOD hospital birth experiences with me. I'm trying to not freak out.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I had a rather good hospital experience. I transferred at 40 hours because I wasn't dilating (lots of scar tissue on my cervix so I couldn't open) so I didn't get my home birth. I asked for an epidural because I was hallucinating from sleep deprivation. I did have to say no to pitocin several times. Other than that I got the half dose epidural I wanted so it was completely worn off before I pushed. The doctor knew I was a transferred homebirth so she asked if I wanted the placenta. I had to be good about stating my boundaries with one lame nurse, but since you are a multipara I bet you will have an easier time.

It wasn't what I wanted, but it was ok. You'll do alright.

And I just want to be at the end of my pregnancy already. I'm so tired of being uncomfortable.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 PM

When I think about how much I have to get done, time is moving fast.
When I think about how uncomfortable I am, time is moving slow.

No words of wisdom for you but I am also planning a hospital birth, hoping for the best.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
MJB

I'm 34 weeks and everything is pretty much ready; I need to install the carseat and I'm waiting on some birth supplies to arrive in the mail, but otherwise, we're all set.
The baby is starting to feel ginormous, my tailbone hurts and I can hardly breathe. Her head is low and her butt is high and I think if she gets any longer she'll break my ribs.
I've felt excellent for the past month but am starting to get that "done" feeling. My boys were born at 39 weeks but I'm hoping Edie decides to come out at 37 or 38 instead. I know that's just wishful thinking!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
since you are a multipara I bet you will have an easier time.
thanks for this. my dh says the same thing. i need to not freak myself out. just keep telling myself: this is my 3rd birth, i know my body, i know what i need in labor, just do it and not worry about 'them'. it won't be perfect, but it'll be fine. stressing myself out will make it much worse.

in some ways this pregnancy has been my worst, because i know what's coming. i've been dreading that last month of pregnancy for awhile. that done feeling. the first time i didn't know and the second time i didn't remember because the first time i was so focused on the good stuff.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post
When I think about how much I have to get done, time is moving fast.
When I think about how uncomfortable I am, time is moving slow.

Vaquitita, I'm having my first hospital birth after two homebirths too -- it's not just you! I have a decent midwife and there are birthtubs and stuff, but it's still not going to be the same as being left alone at home. My plan is to show up as late as possible so they can't mess with me too much -- that's probably your best bet at any hospital. That reminds me, I need to call and schedule a tour to see what this place looks like.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
Old 06-23-2010, 11:44 AM

I had a great hospital experience with DD. I sent them my birth plan ahead of time and the head nurse actually called to discuss it with me. They respected it and I got everything I wanted, except my own doc, she was gone. Also, because I sent my birthplan ahead of time, a very naturally-minded nurse picked us so that was great. We're in a different state now but we're doing a hospital birth again. But I would agree with the others and wait as long as possibly to go. Unless you're like me and you keep running out of hot water! That was my big reason to go in, I wanted unlimited hot water.

As far as time is concerned, some days seem to move super fast and others are slow. I've been preparing a long time for some events going on this summer and a few major things have already passed. That really surprised me. I've just been trying to keep busy each day and get a few things done, and look, its already Wednesday!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Awwww, this pregnancy is going by quickly one painfully slow day at a time!

My third hospital labor/birth wasn't as great as I wanted it to be, but I chalk it up to the nurses being super busy and not really paying attention to me- they had me start pushing before my dr checked me b/c they were hoping to birth my baby before the lady in the next room needed to push (my labor had been incredibly easy and short up until then, I think they just assumed I'd be done pushing quickly also). By the time my OB checked and noticed my baby was posterior...like all my children had been-which I mentioned to the nurses beforehand- I had already pushed the baby too far down to turn him and ended up with a vacuum assisted delivery ...plus, I got an epidural. If you stand your ground and avoid an epidural, I'm sure everything will go smoothly
As for the actual recovery in the hospital, it was the best the third time around. I rarely got bothered! They came in once or twice within the first 12 hours after birth and then only 2x's a day. Totally different than my first two when they came in what seemed like every 2-3 hours to "check-up" on us (and it was the same hospital!). I think since I was having my third there was a little less stress on everyone involved...it was obvious I didn't need their help with much. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Time went really fast from about 25 weeks to now. Things are slowing down a little bit now, but it still scares me to think about how fast a week goes by. We have lots to do still before baby gets here, but realistically, he could be here in as soon as 3 weeks. YIKES!!! Okay, ya, time really is going by quickly. (Although it could be another 8 weeks).

As for the hospital birth, I have no real advice except to write your birth plan and say NO to EVERYTHING you don't want. You may have to fight your way through it (and I see the point of picking your battles) but IMO one small intervention can lead to the next and then to the next and so on. In my hospital birth I brought a lot of stuff from home: my own clothes to wear, cds to listen to, candles, aromatheropy, something hard to squeeze, etc. Also kept the lights dim, asked people not to talk at all or coach during pushing. (In other words I made it pretty clear that it was MY space for that time). You can even hang a note on your door asking people to please knock before entering (even the docs and nurses). You should feel in control of your birth no matter where you are. Good luck.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

some days it feels like time is flying and other days not so much.

I too am having another hospital birth after a less than impressive one with DS 7 years ago. I am in the process of trying to find a new doctor, trying to find a midwife, and possibly a new hospital because they are trying to treat me as high risk when I am NOT. I keep telling myself that regardless of where I deliver I need to advocate for myself and refuse whatever I don't want. that's going to be the hard part for me, so hopefully dh will step up and remember what's important to me/us

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
I'm almost 31 weeks. How did that happen? Only 9 weeks left. Single digits. I want to start nesting, washing baby clothes and diapers etc. But I kind of think I should wait another month, it'll give me something to do during that last long month. So on one hand the birth seems imminent and on the other hand so far away!
We're due the same "day", for whatever that's worth, LOL!

This has, by far, been my fastest pregnancy ever! One would think it's because I have a just-turned-1 year old in addition to 4 other kids..and that's probably part of it...but I also have a set of children who are only 12 months apart and that pregnancy dragged on!

I think for me I'm just seriously in-trenched in my life, that the baby is really joining what we have..not as much of a life changer as it sometimes has been..though, a baby always does change your life!

With 9 weeks left, possibly more or less, it's here! I need to do a few more preparations, but all ready for the giving birth part-as much as anyone can be. This is my first home birth.

I had a great hospital experience with my last baby! I was so on the fence with this one on whether to do a homebirth or hospital birth again, cause' last time was so great. For me, it just came down to wanting to be completely hands off, and be at home where our lives are. However, it's a wonderful thing when you debate having a wonderful hospital experience again! So, I know it can happen!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM

I think the more kids you have, the faster they go! At least, it's been like that for me. This one was speeding along until the heat hit and now it's creeeeeping...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrobynne View Post

Vaquitita, I'm having my first hospital birth after two homebirths too -- it's not just you! I have a decent midwife and there are birthtubs and stuff, but it's still not going to be the same as being left alone at home. My plan is to show up as late as possible so they can't mess with me too much -- that's probably your best bet at any hospital. That reminds me, I need to call and schedule a tour to see what this place looks like.
i need to go tour this hospital, i'm not sure if they have tubs or not. i sure hope so. i know the other hospitals in our area do. how late is "as late as possible"? that's what i'm debating over. i'd love to show up ready to push, but obviously a car ride while that far along in labor would not be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
I had a great hospital experience with DD. I sent them my birth plan ahead of time and the head nurse actually called to discuss it with me. They respected it and I got everything I wanted, except my own doc, she was gone. Also, because I sent my birthplan ahead of time, a very naturally-minded nurse picked us so that was great. We're in a different state now but we're doing a hospital birth again. But I would agree with the others and wait as long as possibly to go.
we've been thinking about making a birth plan, though i've wondered how much they'll pay attention to it. sending it ahead of time sounds like a good idea, hopefully a naturally-minded nurse will pick us! ok, i'm adding making a birth plan to my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
As for the hospital birth, I have no real advice except to write your birth plan and say NO to EVERYTHING you don't want. You may have to fight your way through it (and I see the point of picking your battles) but IMO one small intervention can lead to the next and then to the next and so on. In my hospital birth I brought a lot of stuff from home: my own clothes to wear, cds to listen to, candles, aromatheropy, something hard to squeeze, etc. Also kept the lights dim, asked people not to talk at all or coach during pushing. (In other words I made it pretty clear that it was MY space for that time). You can even hang a note on your door asking people to please knock before entering (even the docs and nurses). You should feel in control of your birth no matter where you are. Good luck.
we will definitely say no to induction stuff (pit, breaking my water, etc) and drugs. i plan to labor upright, either on my birth ball or in a tub/shower. i figure staying out of bed (which i can't stand while in labor anyway) will help a lot in how they view me. i don't want constant monitoring or internal checks. but i figure i will have to let them monitor me for a bit when i first get there, but 20 minutes laying in bed sounds like torture and not really the thing i want to do when i first get there. and how often should i let them do it after that? and then the internal checks, will i really be able to get away with just one? and when should that one be? when i first get there or when i start to push? are there other small interventions i'm not thinking of?

i'm also not sure what to do about the GBS test. and should i have a seperate baby list? with stuff like no eye drops, no shots, no seperations, no ??? what else do they do to babies in hospitals?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 PM

yz

Old 06-24-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

talk to me about the GBS test. i was not tested for GBS in my last two pregnancies (homebirths) but since i'm going to a free clinic this time, i may end up 'having' to get it. the dr at the clinic tells me i have to do certain things because they'll lose their funding if they don't do things the way their sponsors want. so i took their stupid STD and HIV tests and the glucose tolerance test. once i'm actually at the hospital, i'm don't plan to be so agreeable. i mean what are they going to do? eject a laboring woman onto the street?

there's a thread on ensuring a negative result for the GBS test, so I'm thinking of agreeing to the test and trying those things (GSE, probiotics, garlic). where exactly do they take their culture from? the vagina i assume. yuck, another way to rob pregnant women of their dignity. it will make my life a lot easier if my test is negative, because i would refuse the antibiotics (unless maybe i showed signs of infection, fever, etc.).

Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
i need to go tour this hospital, i'm not sure if they have tubs or not. i sure hope so. i know the other hospitals in our area do. how late is "as late as possible"? that's what i'm debating over. i'd love to show up ready to push, but obviously a car ride while that far along in labor would not be fun.
That's a debate between dh and I. I'd like to show up ready to push, he worries that if it's left up to me that I'll just wait until the baby comes. My SIL will be with us as a doula, but her day job is a L&D RN, so she can check my dilation if it would be useful. I have taken a 30 min nap and woken up in transition both labors, so I wouldn't mind leaving for the hospital after I nap.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014

User Tag List