Feeling Over-tested. Any advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone -

So, this is my first pregnancy and I chose a midwife (at a hospital birthing center) for my prenatal care, thinking it was as low-intervention as I could get (without doing a homebirth midwife - which I might try next time!)

I am a very healthy 25-year-old - in shape, active, and not sick in any way. This pregnancy, however, has been a litany of tests and ultrasounds. There was a spot on the baby's heart, so we had to get another ultrasound to check for Down syndrome. Then I had to get the quad-screen (which I initially refused twice) to rule out Downs. But, oh! I tested positive for neural tube defects, so another ultrasound. This ultrasound (yesterday) revealed no defects, but the baby has SLIGHTLY elevated levels of fluid in his brain ventricle - so, another ultrasound is scheduled for 36 weeks. (As well as a blood test and monitoring my blood pressure - all even though there is over 90% chance that my baby is absolutely healthy.)

I am not even worried at this point, just very annoyed that so much testing is being done and I don't feel like I have a choice. When I failed my glucose test and asked to do it again instead of the three-hour test (since I had no other risk factors of gestational diabetes and had a very carby-breakfast that morning), I was denied. I did the three-hour test and passed.

I'm torn. Should I talk to my midwife about wanting to stop all the testing? Or should I be super-cautious and go ahead with it? I'm just not sure.

Ashley - Happily married - 25 years old - in Ohio - vegetarian - mama to Gabriel Christopher, born September 1, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's totally up to you. Don't feel bullied into extra ultrasounds and tests if you don't want them. I would discuss with your midwife how you're feeling and discuss any further testing that may be done pre-baby arrival and let her know which of the tests you are ok with and which you want to decline. You have the right to make choices for yourself and not just go with their recommendations if you aren't comfortable with them.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Momma, how frustrating for you! I think all of this prenatal period is a time of practice for birth and parenting. You will have to be your and your child's advocate for ever, defending your parenting choices and being a brave Momma bear. So now's the time for you to start making decisions about what you want and what your heart feels is right, and make that known! It's also important to make sure you have a relationship you feel safe and respected in with your Midwife, so maybe you need to talk with her for that reason. Good luck! It's hard.

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

User Tag List