have we talked nursing bras yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to get a couple before baby is born, plus a black nursing bra for labor...what do you ladies like?

And good places to shop?

I'm looking for good support as my back always hurts from no abs and a good bra works wonders! And good instructions on sizing wouldn't hurt, either! Unfortunately, I'll have to order online, so would love online site recs...

AND, I hate nipple show! Any good bras for that?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#2 of 17 Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just found an AWESOME one at a store here in town. It's a combo Motherhood Maternity/A Pea in the Pod. It's their knock-off of the Spanx nursing bra. It hooks in the front, has padded cups, makes my boobs look normal, and is super comfortable.

I found a link to it!

ETA: There's no way the model in that picture has EVER been pregnant or nursed a baby. If she has, life is that much more not fair.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

I found the site I looked at three yrs ago--great measuring guidelines and free shipping, plus 10% off right now... www.breakoutbras.com

I'm looking at the melinda g tee shirt 2115 and medela comfort nursing bra 676 for the birth...they both look comfortable.

It's rec'd that we don't buy our nursing bras til 3 weeks after baby is born for the right fit. I'm seriously contemplating using one of the above for those three weeks and then ordering the rest (2 more).

typos likely

#4 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm pretty busty so I like Bravissimo. They rock my socks off and have cute/hot nursing bras.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#5 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 AM

Birthamdbabyorders.com (I think that's right)

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#6 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 AM

I like my Medela soft cup nursing bras, but they no longer come in black, which is a shame. I will tell you that my boobs grew two cup sizes when my milk came in. It was a Dolly Parton moment! They went back down after about a month, but that was an interesting month!

The other thing that worked very well for me was to buy low cut (demi) style bras. Then I would just pop the boob out and over for nursing, and tuck back in when done. It was actually easier than any style of clip, there is more variety to choose from, and generally they are cheeper too. Push up bras worked also, but made me feel a little too perky, if you know what I mean.

I always had to wear nipple pads since I leaked like a seive with the DD, so nipple show wasn't really an issue for me. I can only hope my body has it figured out this time around and I won't be washing those cotton/wool circles over and over again this time around.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#7 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 AM

i love, love, love my emma jane nursing bras
http://www.emma-jane.com/nursing-bra-428.htm
#8 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm going to check out all the links! I looked at one of the first ones listed, and that bra would never work, cause the first time I bent over to pick up a LO, my boobs would fall out the center..I HATE that..I'm busty, especially while nursing, and nothing like standing up and having the nipple and 1/2 your boob pointed over in the middle, above the bra...ugh!

I appreciate more full-coverage when nursing, particularly in the first 6 months when I leak a lot and need pads. I don't like padded bras, as I have enough to go round' plus they are hotter and I get sweaty with all that cuddling.

Here's what I have now

I like it a lot, but they don't have black. I got it on sale and paid only $18..so look for a coupon code. Unfortunately, the sizes they offer likely won't fit me after birth. I'm in the "D" now, and it's a tight squeeze..if I get the "DD" it won't fit when the milk comes in. So, I'm gonna look at your links! I really recommend this bra for a mama if it has the sizes you need.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8 with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#9 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM

rightkindofme thanks for that link! I'm pretty busty too and those bras look awesome! I can't wait til pp time and I need a new bra

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#10 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM

this one was my favorite last time. it only goes up to an F cup, but it's stretchy. i plan to get it again once i'm small enough, idk 6-12mo after the baby. i second the vote for breakoutbras! melissa's personal comments on each bra are really helpful. they carry the biggest variety of small band size/large cups i've found. i just got this one and it's pretty comfy. it's thicker too, so no nipple show. i bought a 34 H/I based on what I wore after my last two babes. for right now i'm wearing it with a bra extender.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#11 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
I'm going to check out all the links! I looked at one of the first ones listed, and that bra would never work, cause the first time I bent over to pick up a LO, my boobs would fall out the center..I HATE that..I'm busty, especially while nursing, and nothing like standing up and having the nipple and 1/2 your boob pointed over in the middle, above the bra...ugh!

I appreciate more full-coverage when nursing, particularly in the first 6 months when I leak a lot and need pads. I don't like padded bras, as I have enough to go round' plus they are hotter and I get sweaty with all that cuddling.

Here's what I have now

I like it a lot, but they don't have black. I got it on sale and paid only $18..so look for a coupon code. Unfortunately, the sizes they offer likely won't fit me after birth. I'm in the "D" now, and it's a tight squeeze..if I get the "DD" it won't fit when the milk comes in. So, I'm gonna look at your links! I really recommend this bra for a mama if it has the sizes you need.
medela makes one for a fuller figure that is the same only with wider straps, which I liked. breakoutbras carries it...around 30$. HTH!
I don't like to the "fall out" either, lol.
Doing the measurements, it seems I've always worn a too loose band size. Hmmm. It's times like these that I wish I lived in the big city so I could just go get fitted...

typos likely

#12 of 17 Old 06-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh that does help! Thanks! Something interesting, is the picture I linked to actually shows pretty narrow straps..but on the two bras they sent me, they have wider straps that actually have some padding across the tops for the shoulders...NICE. Maybe on the bigger sizes they build em' differently? Anyway, I'll check out the retailer you mentioned...how exciting! My fav bra in a workable size!

I've never understood the bigger sized bras with teeny tiny straps. (I mean something sexy is one thing, but for a functional bra) How the heck you gonna hold these monkeys up with dental floss? Do you KNOW how much these weigh when I'm carrying around quarts of milk in them?

Sorry for the rant...bras are something tricky for me, that tend to tick me off.

I think men design them.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8 with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#13 of 17 Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM

I know I'm gonna need some more, but I need to wait. Before any of my kids, I wore a 34B, after Anthony a 34C during pregnancy and nursing, stayed a 34C when preggo w/ Bryant, then ballooned to a 34 DD/E after he was born and shrunk back during this pregnancy to 34C. Since I don't know what size my boobs will get, I'll just make due with a few sleep bras and nursing tanks that I have for now.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#14 of 17 Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM

I just buy the cheapest ones at Walmart (less than $15 Canadian).
#15 of 17 Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM

i tried a bunch of bras before discovering my emma jane bras at a local retailer. i have to tell you, they are SO different from any other type of nursing bra I have used. my local place recently stopped stocking them, so i had to go online. they're a UK company, and i didn't find a lot of north american online retailers for them. as they are so awesome, i just ordered another one from here:
http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product....ct_id=EJ-00428

i found the price to be actually cheaper from UK sites than from north american sites selling the bra....likely because you're kind of paying for shipping twice in that case. it ends up being around $40/bra, but so worth it in my opinion. i'm a D cup (oddly both when nursing and not) and find the support even better than most of the bras i had before i was nursing. it doesn't stretch out and leave you all saggy by mid-day (something i had a huge problem with all many other nursing bras). i also think it's pretty. they go up to an H cup, so the sizing covers a wide range of sizes.

i am not normally so passionate about pushing a company, but i really really love this bra.
#16 of 17 Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
I just buy the cheapest ones at Walmart (less than $15 Canadian).
I honestly wish I could do that. I had a few back injuries as a child and while I'm mostly good now, pregnancy and no core strngth after baby strain my back--so I end up needing the pricier ones that I can guarantee support with. How lucky you are!

typos likely

#17 of 17 Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitgirl77 View Post
I know I'm gonna need some more, but I need to wait. Before any of my kids, I wore a 34B, after Anthony a 34C during pregnancy and nursing, stayed a 34C when preggo w/ Bryant, then ballooned to a 34 DD/E after he was born and shrunk back during this pregnancy to 34C. Since I don't know what size my boobs will get, I'll just make due with a few sleep bras and nursing tanks that I have for now.
This is me, tho not that extreme, lol. I want to make sure it fits right, so I'm getting a transitional bra to use until I can get the others.

I think the emmajanes look awesome, too.

And I agree with your ventings, MFQ!

typos likely

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page